Carry gun finish...

StumpyBeagle

See if it's all shiny I can blind the BG with the reflection whilst I hit em in the head with a rock. Seriously I take it you like wheel guns over pistols. I have no problem with revolvers and plan on carrying a revolver as a back up gun...

No, I like both. I carry either Kahr 9 or (new!) XD SC 9 most all the time, Ruger wheelie once in a while. But only one gun at a time on moi.

- OS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JWP,

this Picture shows it better, it is a Very Dull finish, almost like parkerizing, I am not sure exactly what it is but it is called Diamond finish in Black, they also have a Earth color of this finish, again thease pictures are when the gun was new, it looks the same after hundreds of rounds and holstering, I am very impressed with this stuff, it is expensive but worth every cent

Steve1_800.jpg

That looks like Melonite QPQ to me.

Guest looneeetunes

the only reason i only carry stainless is that i sweat excessively in the summer and quite a bit in winter. i end up rusting most anything else, and wind up doing more oiling and cleaning than anything else. just personal preference i suppose

Guest Rugerman

I love the look of a nice, black gun. I carry a CZ, with their black "polycoat" finish. Rumor on the street is that is one tough finish. However, I think a beautiful stainless 1911 with a nice set of checkered wood grips is hard to beat appearance and wear resistance wise.

Guest TheBulldog

No matter what you decide to carry, you WILL wear on the finish.

Stainless holds up better, WAY less corrosion, but a Good Blue finish can be a thing of beauty.

No matter what you decide to carry, you WILL wear on the finish.

Stainless holds up better, WAY less corrosion, but a Good Blue finish can be a thing of beauty.

I agree, its hard to beat a good quality blued finish. I just hate to ruin a purdy gun finish. But having said that I was down at Hero-Gear and found a 1911 that felt like it was tailored specially for my big hands. It was a Kimber Tactical Pro II with a blued finish that I guess I'll have to go back and get.

Guest mike45acp

If you are in a wet area and not able to clean your gun for days then stainless will help but if you can clean and lube your gun up daily then it is personal preference.

Guest HexHead
I agree, its hard to beat a good quality blued finish. I just hate to ruin a purdy gun finish. But having said that I was down at Hero-Gear and found a 1911 that felt like it was tailored specially for my big hands. It was a Kimber Tactical Pro II with a blued finish that I guess I'll have to go back and get.

TPII is a nice pistol, but it's not blued.

""...each Tactical has standard features unequaled by any other brand."

A matte black slide and contrasting gray frame give each pistol a striking appearance. Black and silver laminated Kimber logo grips checkered in the classic double diamond pattern - along with black small parts - add the finishing touch."

The two blued pistols Kimber makes are the Royall II and the Gold Match II.

I have a Royal II and they're beautiful.

DSC_0015.jpg

Sorry if I am doubling up on this question. Would stainless be a better choice for carry weapon than a blued finish as far as wear goes? I'm 32 days into my endless wait for my HCP and thought I'd get some opinions and am on the prowl for my carry gun.

my worthless opinion is that you should pick out a carry weapon based on how proficient you will be with it. The finish should be secondary. A carry gun is nothing more than a tool.

Now all things being equal I prefer stainless, but wear and tear on the carry gun is the last thing I worry about.

my worthless opinion is that you should pick out a carry weapon based on how proficient you will be with it. The finish should be secondary. A carry gun is nothing more than a tool.

Now all things being equal I prefer stainless, but wear and tear on the carry gun is the last thing I worry about.

I agree that a gun is a tool and I am not new to guns. I was raised on a very large farm where they were a necessity not a luxury. I am however new to the fact that I have to have a permit to defend myself against a different kind of snake off the farm.

I agree that if you are going to carry you should become as proficient with that or any other weapon that you might carry because your very life may depend on it. Having said that though that's why they make different models of firearms so one can find the gun that is 1.) Best suited for the person and 2.) Best suited for the job. This is why I brought up the question of finish. I found that I like the way the Kimber 1911 or any other 1911 weather it's a Springfield, Taurus, Nighthawk or a Rock Island fits in my hand. But this is also why they make the same pistols in different finishes, so everybody has a choice and if I can spend a few more dollars on the front end to keep my firearm in top condition inside and out I think it is worth it.

TPII is a nice pistol, but it's not blued.

""...each Tactical has standard features unequaled by any other brand."

A matte black slide and contrasting gray frame give each pistol a striking appearance. Black and silver laminated Kimber logo grips checkered in the classic double diamond pattern - along with black small parts - add the finishing touch."

The two blued pistols Kimber makes are the Royall II and the Gold Match II.

I have a Royal II and they're beautiful.

Yes it is. In my own personal opinion I think the Kimbers are the best looking 1911's on the market.

Guest UofM Matt
I found that I like the way the Kimber 1911 or any other 1911 weather it's a Springfield, Taurus, Nighthawk or a Rock Island fits in my hand.

Couldn't agree more. A 1911 fits the hand great and aims naturally. I ended up choosing a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II and have had zero problems. A buddy got a Kimber CDP Pro II, though, and had a huge amount of problems (FTRB's mainly), so there is some basis for the bad stories you hear, as much as I hate to say it.

As for the finish discussion, I always heard visibility cited as a reason to not go stainless, being that its much easier to spot. Of course, as we've all read on here thousands of times, concealed is concealed, so I personally don't worry about that. I also agree that stainless makes it easier to see what you're cleaning.

Couldn't agree more. A 1911 fits the hand great and aims naturally. I ended up choosing a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II and have had zero problems. A buddy got a Kimber CDP Pro II, though, and had a huge amount of problems (FTRB's mainly), so there is some basis for the bad stories you hear, as much as I hate to say it.

As for the finish discussion, I always heard visibility cited as a reason to not go stainless, being that its much easier to spot. Of course, as we've all read on here thousands of times, concealed is concealed, so I personally don't worry about that. I also agree that stainless makes it easier to see what you're cleaning.

I agree to a point. If you need to pull it discreetly, I would think stainless would reflect light much more thus increasing the chances of position being compromised.
Guest HexHead
Yes it is. In my own personal opinion I think the Kimbers are the best looking 1911's on the market.

Well, I gotta admit my Nighthawk is growing on me. :rofl:

DSC_0027.jpg

Well, I gotta admit my Nighthawk is growing on me. :rofl:

Definitely not knocking any other 1911's, they are all great looking. The Nighthawk is a beautiful pistol. Expensive pistol. Do you carry the Nighthawk everyday or cycle it with others?

Edited by jdredmond
Guest HexHead
Definitely not knocking any other 1911's, they are all great looking. The Nighthawk is a beautiful pistol. Expensive pistol. Do you carry the Nighthawk everyday or cycle it with others?

Either it or "Smitty" in my pocket. I may occasionally carry the Royal II in the cooler weather when wearing a jacket in a OWB holster. The Nighthawk will be my primary carry pistol once I sort out some magazine issues now that I sold my Pro Carry II. I just got the proper holster for it, too.

Guest bkelm18
I agree to a point. If you need to pull it discreetly, I would think stainless would reflect light much more thus increasing the chances of position being compromised.

Well, I'm not really an assassin or a hitman, so when I pull a gun, the BG will damn well know I'm pulling a gun no matter the finish, haha. :koolaid: