Carry gun finish...

StumpyBeagle

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would stainless be a better choice for carry weapon than a blued finish as far as wear goes?

Absolutely.

I think blued guns are things of beauty. But the finish is going to wear off if you carry them. Most people can’t fix a blue finish, but most can fix stainless.

Guest bkelm18

My carry gun has a blued finish. I see it as a tool, not a safe queen. Blemishes just add character. If you take care of it properly it wont rust.

For ccw the only difference would be in how well you take care of your weapon. If you are willing to wax/oil your gun finish on a regular basis, a blued gun is fine. Stainless also takes some care but is more forgiving if you get lax. If you are carrying IWB, stainless is usually preferred because of the perspiration problem. The same prevails however in that this isn't a real problem if you wipe down and recoat your gun everyday you carry. Police detectives carried blue S&W 36s for decades and many of their guns are still around with almost pristine finishes. I pocket carry, so it isn't as much an issue. I like stainless just because you see the stuff you need to clean and I just feel a little more comfortable that I have cleaned the weapon thoroughly. If you are Concealed carrying, weather shouldn't be the issue it would be in an open holster duty weapon ( although most of those are and have been blued!)

I wipe my gun down with a soft cloth before carrying everyday and I wipe it down again with a soft cloth at night before putting on the nightstand. Every three or four days I put a fresh coat of Johnsons Wax (thin coat!) on it. BTW most of my guns are stainless steel!

I'd go more for what kind of price I can get on the gun than I would by what finish it has. It is going to be concealed remember?

Guest Verbal Kint
My carry gun has a blued finish. I see it as a tool, not a safe queen. Blemishes just add character. If you take care of it properly it wont rust.

+1

Sorry if I am doubling up on this question. Would stainless be a better choice for carry weapon than a blued finish as far as wear goes? ...

Remember, there's a "third" finish. The Black Stuff.

Tennifer on Glock, Melonite on Springfield (which are mostly same thing), Kahr has Black Stuff option forget what they call it, etc.

- OS

Any finish will wear and stainless can rust. It all depends on how much you care for the weapon.

It really depends more on how the metal was treated (as in handled and processed) at the factory and how much carbon is in the steel.

This has been an on going problem with a certain "high level" 1911 maker that we deal with. Their barrels freckle sometimes in transit and sometimes while just sitting in the case waiting for a new owner.

Black Diamond, is the best finish that I have seen, I love stainless steel but if you want a black gun that is going to last this is the way to go, I love this finish this picture is from when it was new, it still looks the same, I can not wear this finish off, I carry this gun constantly in a leather holster and it is showing absolutely no wear, it truly is an awesome finishMynighthawk3-1.jpg

I've got a XD40 V-10 (its setup as my night stand gun) that I went through HCP class with and a couple of others that I don't want to carry. A office gun, 9mm Hi Power and a 6 inch SS Colt King Cobra that's just a bit hard to conceal. My wife is going in for her HCP in a few weeks and I got her a Charter Arms .38 Pink Lady to carry. True a gun is a tool but I also like to keep my 20 year old Craftsmen Rachet set looking shiny and new and I'm not much of a Glock fan. I'm looking at a Kimber SS Pro Carry II for my carry gun, anybody had any problems with Kimber?

Lord knows you want that thing to look shiny good for the Bad Guy while you're clearing jams! :bowrofl:

- OS

Oh lord here we go....:bowrofl:

I personally am not a fan of the kimbers... they're QC has gotten... "lax" over time.

Black Diamond, is the best finish that I have seen, I love stainless steel but if you want a black gun that is going to last this is the way to go, I love this finish this picture is from when it was new, it still looks the same, I can not wear this finish off, I carry this gun constantly in a leather holster and it is showing absolutely no wear, it truly is an awesome finish

That is most likely the Ion Bond "DLC" (diamond like coating) finish. We have been toying around with it for some of our guns. It is a very nice finish. A little pricy ($275) but leaves a good sheen over a variety of metal treatments.

JWP,

this Picture shows it better, it is a Very Dull finish, almost like parkerizing, I am not sure exactly what it is but it is called Diamond finish in Black, they also have a Earth color of this finish, again thease pictures are when the gun was new, it looks the same after hundreds of rounds and holstering, I am very impressed with this stuff, it is expensive but worth every cent

Steve1_800.jpg

Edited by willis68
Lord knows you want that thing to look shiny good for the Bad Guy while you're clearing jams! :lol:

- OS

See if it's all shiny I can blind the BG with the reflection whilst I hit em in the head with a rock. Seriously I take it you like wheel guns over pistols. I have no problem with revolvers and plan on carrying a revolver as a back up gun.

JWP,

this Picture shows it better, it is a Very Dull finish, almost like parkerizing, I am not sure exactly what it is but it is called Diamond finish in Black, they also have a Earth color of this finish, again these pictures are when the gun was new, it looks the same after hundreds of rounds and holstering, I am very impressed with this stuff, it is expensive but worth every cent

Great looking gun, never handled one. Just a bit more than I wanted to invest at this time. I was looking at Kimber or maybe not since Sling said their QC is sub par, or possibly a Springfield 1911. Definitely want a .45 in a SS 1911. I am going to the Goodman gun show in Nashville to look this weekend.

Guest Verbal Kint

If you get a Kimber with the internal extractor, and don't listen to all of the internet story hype, you'll be fine and well served. I had a Pro CDP II and it functioned flawlessly. Tungsten has/had the same model, but with the dreaded external extracor, and it too functioned without issues. True, there does (or did) seem to be problems with the externals... but Kimber seems to have gone back to the internal design due to this.

Springfield is also a good 1911, so either way you should be well pleased. Just don't let the horror stories sway you away from giving Kimber a chance. They are good handguns for the money. Only gripe I had about mine was the plastic MSH that they used, which was easily and quickly replaced with a metal one. Like most negative stories, everyone seems to have an opinion or "true" occurrence whether they've actually owned a Kimber or not. And everyone knows someone who knows someone. :lol:

(Not directed at Sling at all)

If you get a Kimber with the internal extractor, and don't listen to all of the internet story hype, you'll be fine and well served. I had a Pro CDP II and it functioned flawlessly. Tungsten has/had the same model, but with the dreaded external extracor, and it too functioned without issues. True, there does (or did) seem to be problems with the externals... but Kimber seems to have gone back to the internal design due to this.

Springfield is also a good 1911, so either way you should be well pleased. Just don't let the horror stories sway you away from giving Kimber a chance. They are good handguns for the money. Only gripe I had about mine was the plastic MSH that they used, which was easily and quickly replaced with a metal one. Like most negative stories, everyone seems to have an opinion or "true" occurrence whether they've actually owned a Kimber or not. And everyone knows someone who knows someone. :lol:

(Not directed at Sling at all)

+1 the internal extractor Kimbers are a great gun for the money