5.56 to 300 Black Out

Can I just swap out the barrel on my rifle to a 300 BO or do I have to modify it further? Been thinking about building a 300 rifle, but if I can convert an existing one, then its a WIN WIN!

Edited by RC3

Well there are a few things to take into consideration.

First, are you going to be shooting any subsonic ammunition? If so I would suggest finding a barrel with a pistol length gas system, not a carbine length gas system. The reason is carbine length gas systems tend to be problematic with subsonic ammunition unless you have a suppressor.

Second, are you going to suppress it. If so you can go with a carbine length gas system but you might have problems with subsonic ammunition without a suppressor.

Pistol length gas systems tend to be a lot more reliable, especially under less than ideal conditions or using low powered ammo, than carbine length gas systems. With a pistol length gas system you can artificially lengthen the gas system but you cannot artificially shorten a carbine length gas system.

Personally I would get a pistol length gas system and then run an adjustable gas block. That gives you the best of all worlds.

Well there are a few things to take into consideration.

First, are you going to be shooting any subsonic ammunition? If so I would suggest finding a barrel with a pistol length gas system, not a carbine length gas system. The reason is carbine length gas systems tend to be problematic with subsonic ammunition unless you have a suppressor.

Second, are you going to suppress it. If so you can go with a carbine length gas system but you might have problems with subsonic ammunition without a suppressor.

Pistol length gas systems tend to be a lot more reliable, especially under less than ideal conditions or using low powered ammo, than carbine length gas systems. With a pistol length gas system you can artificially lengthen the gas system but you cannot artificially shorten a carbine length gas system.

Personally I would get a pistol length gas system and then run an adjustable gas block. That gives you the best of all worlds.

I do not plan on suppressing it, so what could I do to use remedy the carbine length issue?

This may be painfully obvious to most and one would have to go through some trouble to do it but you will need a 30cal muzzle device. I mention this because I overheard a guy in a gun shop talking about having his flash hider opened up and rethreaded to thread on the new barrel. A 30cal bullet coming upon major resistance when attempting to swage it with a 5.56 muzzle device would make an awful mess and all to save a few bucks over buying a new one. 

Plus there are some 300 Blackout barrels out there that ARE threaded 1/2-28 at the muzzle.

I have been hunting another barrel for the past few days and it is amazing what is available now. I found brand new barrels for $99.

I had heard that but the source wasn't one that I trusted 100%. That's quite dangerous because even though most that are active on TGO have enough common sense to know better i'd say that there is an insanely high percentage that are ignorant whether willfully or come by it honestly it's quite dangerous. I've always mentioned the muzzle device because I always hear folks say that the only difference is the barrel.

I saw some barrels at the 'Boro show Sat. that ranged from $99-$120 with A2 sight on them. They were pistol length and carbine length 5.56 and 300aac barrels and I thought that was a smokin' deal if match grade accuracy wasn't a must.

e 308 stuff on my 300BO gear simple and it works even 308 noveske hogs breath comps on 2 of em. You def don't want to mix up 556 and 300 parts past the feed ramp..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster

e 308 stuff on my 300BO gear simple and it works even 308 noveske hogs breath comps on 2 of em. You def don't want to mix up 556 and 300 parts past the feed ramp..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Same here. I'm running a JP knockoff 30cal brake on mine and it does a phnomenal job.

Same here. I'm running a JP knockoff 30cal brake on mine and it does a phnomenal job.

I had a JP 308 comp on it but the neighbors at the range didn't like it, heh. Tossed the hog on and now it all goes downrange

Well I completely understand the neighbors distaste for it but it sure does mitigate recoil well ;) I don't do much shooting from a bench where others are lined up to either side of me so I don't worry to much about it.  I will say that if you're standing 45 degrees to the rear of it you sure feel the pressure in your head.