New TN knife law questions

Guest TNsparth

Guest TNsparth

1 July no knife restrictions.OK so will it be legal to carry any knife into a business that has a no weapons sign?

Can one drink at a bar with a 5 inch dagger iwb ?

Is it still illegal to carry a dagger on an athletic field?(not school) 39-17-1309 c1

If  one doesnt have to have a 'lawful purpose' to carry certain knives anymore-does that also void the 'intent to go armed' part regarding knives? as in you could carry on school or gov. property?

I havent seen these questions discussed anywhere.

I'll try and answere these as best I can....

OK so will it be legal to carry any knife into a business that has a no weapons sign?

Depends on what the business defines as a weapon. If you are worried or don't know, just leave the knife or whatever in your vehicle, or don't do business there.

Not familiar with that acronym. But if you have to ask this question, regardless of the law, it probably would not be wise for you to do so.

Is it still illegal to carry a dagger on an athletic field?(not school) 39-17-1309 c1

http://www.tennessee.gov/tccy/tnchild/39/39-17-1309.htm

( B)  (1)  It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. - See more at: http://statutes.laws.com/tennessee/title-39/chapter-17/part-13/39-17-1309#sthash.vl7wbJUV.dpuf
  Unless they change this specifically, I would recommend against challenging it.

If  one doesnt have to have a 'lawful purpose' to carry certain knives anymore-does that also void the 'intent to go armed' part regarding knives? as in you could carry on school or gov. property?

Starting July 1, 2014, lawful purpose will be choice, so long as you are in TN and in good standing.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/billinfo/BillSummaryArchive.aspx?BillNumber=SB1771&ga=108

Bill Summary

This bill makes multiple changes to the laws governing switch blade knifes, as follows:

(1) This bill removes switchblade knives from the list of weapons that it is an offense for an individual to intentionally or knowingly possess, manufacture, transport, repair or sell;
(2) This bill removes the offense of knowingly or intentionally selling, loaning, or making a gift of a switchblade knife to a minor;
(3) This bill removes the offense of a person carrying a knife with a blade exceeding four inches with the intent to go armed;
(4) Under present law it is a Class E felony to possess any deadly weapon (other than a firearm) with the intent to employ it during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from any offense not defined as a dangerous offense. Under this bill, if the weapon is a switchblade knife, the maximum fine for the Class E felony will be increased from $3,000 to $6,000;
(5) This bill makes it an offense for a person to employ a switchblade knife during the commission of, attempt to commit, or escape from a dangerous offense. This offense will be a Class D felony; and
(6) This bill authorizes individuals to purchase and have shipped directly to the individual's home a switchblade knife.

At this

Local school here the SRO has told me that it is ok for me to have a utility knife in my camera bag (I'm a professional photographer) on school grounds. It is there as a tool. The Gerber boot knife has been in the car on school grounds, but I'm not sure I would pull it out without a significant utility purpose.

1 July no knife restrictions.OK so will it be legal to carry any knife into a business that has a no weapons sign?

Good question. I suppose the further question is: has it always been unlawful to carry a non-prohibited type or length knife past a posting that mentions "weapons" or specifically "knives"? Point being, where in TCA is definition of "weapon" that includes knives? The definition for "knife" does not include the term "weapon". So,  I don't know, we'd need some qualified legal opinions here.

Obviously, being asked to leave under threat of trespassing becomes more likely at the least.

Nothing legally prohibits it, with possible exception of a posting, which remains gray to me.  Obviously, being asked to leave under threat of trespassing becomes more likely.

Is it still illegal to carry a dagger on an athletic field?(not school)

Nothing changed regarding knives on school property.

If  one doesnt have to have a 'lawful purpose' to carry certain knives anymore-does that also void the 'intent to go armed' part regarding knives?

The "going armed" condition with a knife ceases to exist on July 1. The only penalty aside from carrying one on school property or possible violation of posting statute is using a switchblade in a crime.

as in you could carry on school or gov. property?

Nothing has changed regarding knives in schools (de facto none) or in federal buildings (2.5" blade or more). If all knives are still indeed legally "weapons", then I suppose nothing has changed about TN gov. buildings if the sign prohibits "weapons" and/or specifically "knives".

Note that the prohibition against "any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose" will also be excised, so they can't use that for your "bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument".

So real question for me is:

Has a legal "knife" always been a "weapon" under TN law? If it has, I see no difference that the change in the law makes. If not, then I don't see that you could be penalized for carrying one past a sign. I suppose I  do see how places that do searches can prohibit you from carrying them inside, in the same sense that they can demand you wear shoes and a shirt.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4

Starting July 1, 2014, lawful purpose will be choice, so long as you are in TN and in good standing....

Don't get that, "good standing"?

Meaning, I know of no statute which prevents anyone, including a felon, from possessing a legal knife. Which means all knives soon.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Don't get that, "good standing"?

Meaning, I know of no statute which prevents anyone, including a felon, from possessing a legal knife. Which means all knives soon.

- OS

Interesting. Thanks for that clairification.

Edited by Ted S.
  • 6 months later...
Guest Donaeus

I've been looking for an answer on this one but I can't find one. It used to be illegal to carry double edged or fixed blade knives. Is this legal now?

I've been looking for an answer on this one but I can't find one. It used to be illegal to carry double edged or fixed blade knives. Is this legal

Yes, a fixed blade is legal and to the best of my knowledge a double edge is although I am not 100 percent on this one

Edited by willis68

Yes, a fixed blade is legal and to the best of my knowledge a double edge is although I am not 100 percent on this one

I don't ever remeber double edged blades being illegal?? Only a 4" blade length restriction, switchblades and gravity knives. And all of those restrictions are gone now. I regularly carry a 10.5" bowie nowadays, with a sharpened backedge.

Revisiting this thread after a long time

Note that the prohibition against "any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose" will also be excised, so they can't use that for your "bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument".

My statement above is incorrect. "Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose." Is still in 39-17-1302, assuming Lexis got it right on the revision. I thought the final bill zapped that clause but apparently not.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot