treadmill + range

Sam1

• Moderators
Now, take that treadmill speed it up to a full run and hop on, get the heart rate up. Hop off engage a set of targets, holster & repeat. I can see that. But I am not going to be on a treadmill with gun in hand where I run the risk of a trip on the moving treadmill. That would be some bad juju. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by Chucktshoes

Guy walked for 30 seconds and was sucking wind, where do they find these "tacti-tubby" instructors?

They are everywhere.

Seems like everyone is a tactical expert in some way or another these days. It is like a modern gold rush with everyone trying to get their piece of the tactical training pie that is getting bigger and bigger every year. And every time I see a new one pop up in my area I check them out. The vast majority should not be teaching at all because they have no clue other than a course they took themselves and now think to themselves "Hey I can teach this stuff". The vast majority were never in the military and those that were in the military were not Special Forces, MARSOC, SEALS, PJ's or anything else like that, they were regular guys like mechanics or truck drivers or cooks. Not knocking anyone who has served but just being in the military, other than SOF or CAG etc, hardly makes anyone enough of an expert to be teaching others tactics. Then there are those who flat out lie about who they are and what experience they have just to get some of the money that is to be made. There are so many phonies and imposters out there it boggles the mind. Some of the fakes are very well known and were just able to market themselves really well (Pat Rogers or Ben Thomas).

We had a guy on this end of the state that was teaching. Enjoyed making a lot of money in his HCP classes but it turned out to be he was never licensed to do the classes and was just taking people's hard earned money. After he got caught he said it was a preparation course for the real HCP classes. And the hundreds of people who had attended his class, and paid good money, had to pay another "instructor" to get their HCP.

I am all for people getting the training but make sure to really research the person who is teaching. The classes are EXPENSIVE and the last thing you want to do is spend your hard earned money only to be disappointed by what was taught or to feel duped. Never trust anyone when it comes to your money or safety, verify it on your own.

• Like 4
Watched the video and it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Also, most of us will never have to use any type of true military tactical training. Basic shooting skills, learn defensive home defense,and being aware of your surrounding will IMHO be more advantageous then what this video is trying too, for lack of a better term teach. Edited by joe45
  • Moderators
Let's be honest here. Carbine classes, tactical training, etc. arefor the vast majority of participants nothing more than a fantasy camp for the gun crowd. Very much in the same vein as a football fantasy camp where you get to spend a weekend working out and scrimmaging with a couple of over the hill NFL second stringers. Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3

Let's be honest here. Carbine classes, tactical training, etc. arefor the vast majority of participants nothing more than a fantasy camp for the gun crowd. Very much in the same vein as a football fantasy camp where you get to spend a weekend working out and scrimmaging with a couple of over the hill NFL second stringers.

Shouldn't take any training serious because any kind of a self-defense situation will always end up with both parties out on the lawn with dueling pistols @ 10 paces apart, right?

Edited by Sam1
  • Moderators
[quote name="Sam1" post="1165246" timestamp="1404486628"]Shouldn't take any kind of training serious because any kind of a self-defense situation will end up with both parties out on the lawn with dueling pistols, right?[/quote] That's not at all what I wrote. Try again. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Moderators
I specIfically designated a particular type of training in reply to the references to the explosion of "tactical" trainers. For the vast majority of participants that's exactly what they are, a fantasy camp. If you are LEO and using this in your daily job, I'm not talking about you, in this thread. (See threads on militarization of LE for my words for that!) If your rifle is part of your home defense setup and you attend class using your gear in the same manner you would at home (like me) I'm not talking to you. If you are .mil and using these classes to increase your skill set for combat, obviously not talking to you. If you are someone who gets all dolled up in tac vests, plate carriers and camo that only comes out for class. You are who I am talking about.
  • 2 weeks later...

Just because we don't understand the purpose doesn't mean there isn't one. Surely Ernest Langdon, one of the commenters, would have called out this "tacti-tubby" if what he was doing had no merit. Of course, I'm sure plenty of us have one up on Dave Harrington:

Dave Harrington (a.k.a. "Super" Dave) is the President of Combatspeed LLC which is located in Tampa, Florida. Dave is a two time retired senior weapons instructor from the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare School at Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. He has 23 years of military experience, the last 16 of which were spent in the Army's Special Forces. He qualified as an expert infantryman, conventional and HALO (high altitude, low open) paratrooper, Ranger, and finally combat weapons craft instructor at the John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center at Fort Bragg, N.C. Some of the nation's most elite counter terrorist fighters trained under Harrington there.

Guest kingarmory

Everyone should train in proficient use of a carbine/shotgun/rifle/etc in addition to their handgun regimen.  That whole "well-regulated" portion of the 2nd Amendment carries a bit of responsibility beyond personal self-defense.  If 1/4 of gunowners were "well-regulated" and trained the gov't, criminals, and other countries would give this country a lot more respect.  I will likely never "need" to know how to operate an M240B or M2HB, but I learned how to use, clean, and repair them.  I have guns, radio equipment, and other gear that is kept in ready condition although I will likely never "need" to use it.  To focus solely on handgun training is both ignorant and counter-productive.  A handgun is used in lieu of a longarm or to help you get to your longarm, not as a replacement for it.  Our "2A" proponents have moved further away from traditional rites like rifle marksmanship and focused on personal self-defense and handguns as the main "reason" for the 2A rather than the reality that it is a side benefit of the 2A.  Anyone that can't use a carbine/rifle with better proficiency than a handgun doesn't deserve to carry either.  Too many "gunowners" out there nowadays that couldn't operate an AR15 without someone telling them how to do each step.  What part of that seems to qualify as "well regulated"?

Edited by kingarmory

The comments on that video are the scariest part of it to me. Just watch for "self inflicted gunshot wound while on treadmill" headlines in the next few weeks

I'd like to hear the explanation to the insurance agent after someone gets injured.