define Middle Class

Why yes and if you want I the have some future beach front property for sale in Salameh, AZ, please let me know. I still have an acre or two left. 

So then why the "I'm a 2%'r.  98% of my wages go to taxes." comment?  Did I miss something that didn't translate over the internet?

Instead of whining about the government, and blaming everyone else because you don't have everything you desire, why not form a plan and do something about it?

While the economy isn't the greatest right now, and our government leaders suck, many of us are still thriving and climbing the economic ladder. You can join us, or keep blaming someone else for your shortcomings.

To be more successful than the next guy, you have to either be willing to do things most will not, or you'll need to know things others don't.

Your employer nor the government is holding you back. IT'S YOU!!!!

I'm more liberal than the average member of this site, but even I know that you have to work to get ahead.  The last 8 1/2 months I've been unemployed while getting ready for and going to school represent the first time I've been without a job since I was 14 years old.  It still feels weird, but I wanted to make sure I had every chance to get used to being a student since my savings could cover me in the interim.  I have an internship now and will probably get a part time job sometime in the fall or winter for the extra cash.

To me, if someone is willing to put in full time work (40 hours a week), that should not equal a salary below the poverty line.  If they hold up their end of the bargain and give an honest day on the job, I truly believe they have kept up their part of the societal bargain.  If they aren't willing to work to earn their keep, then you can talk about those who thrive on the tit of the almighty .gov.

I remember when I had movers come to pack up my apartment and take everything into storage before I went to Afghanistan for a year as a contractor.  It was the day after the 2012 election and all three of them were jubilant that President Obama had won re-election.  In conversation they flat out admitted they were afraid a Romney administration would gut things they needed to survive, like food stamps, and that decided their vote.  If anybody thinks that movers don't work hard enough, or aren't willing to do things most will not, I don't know what to tell you.  They still needed help to keep their heads above water in these times.

There are plenty of people who are working and willing to work out there.  Our economy just isn't able to give all of them the work they need to survive without some help the way it is today.  It's a shame that we've let it get way, but globalization is a bitch.

Edited by btq96r

Bro, Most of those movers work under the table! Prime example of milking the system. WIFM, Screw everybody else! I never learned that mantra but I get to live the effects as do we all. 

Really, "most of those movers"?  What statistics led you to that sweeping generalization? 

I did my homework since I was paying for the moving services out of pocket instead of the military handling the bill.  This was an advertised company that I paid with my credit card, who do moves on government contracts for Fort Campbell's personal property office, and they're BBB accredited with an A+ rating.  I'd bet the guys who came to pack up my apartment were legit hourly workers.

To me, if someone is willing to put in full time work (40 hours a week), that should not equal a salary below the poverty line.

Well, it depends on the value of the work they provide in those 40 hours. What makes 40 the magic number? What is the poverty line?

Left alone, the market will set the value of a certain job.

If all a person wants to do is show up and punch the clock, and many do, I don't think the government should set a minimum value for their meager efforts.

Do you remember being in school and hearing all the teachers whining about being underpaid? Why do people go into the teaching profession if they are worried about money? Were there fewer available people willing to teach, the salary would rise to the point of making it a more attractive profession. The same goes for the movers you mentioned. No one forced them to become a mover.

Edited by gregintenn

Really, "most of those movers"?  What statistics led you to that sweeping generalization? 

I did my homework since I was paying for the moving services out of pocket instead of the military handling the bill.  This was an advertised company that I paid with my credit card, who do moves on government contracts for Fort Campbell's personal property office, and they're BBB accredited with an A+ rating.  I'd bet the guys who came to pack up my apartment were legit hourly workers.

From my experience, every move I've had done in the states (4) had pick up guys. I asked them the first move when the driver put someone else's car on the truck and added the weight with mine. I had to pay a lot for that hook up.

I've also used 3 different weigh stations located at moving companies property, each time there were guys hanging around and asked me for work. That makes me think most. I'm sure there are traditionally employed people, I just haven't had the pleasure of using them.