Finished a couple of AR's

Here's another one done. Outbreak Ordnance billet lower, PSA kit with the ALG QMS trigger/hammer kit with Seekins Precision mag release and bolt catch, and Magpul stock and grip. Radical Firearms upper with BCM Mod 4 charging handle. I really, really love the looks of this lower. I am very happy with the trigger even though it's not a 3.5 lb trigger, it's clean and smooth break at what should be about 5.5 or 6 lbs is a nice change from mil-spec trigger grit. Anyway, here are a few pictures. Sorry, I'm not using a fancy camera, just my cell phone but pictures turned out okay to show the profile and detail of the lower.

20150327_205900_zpseal7ukhy.jpg

20150327_205915_zpsen7xek23.jpg

20150327_205924_zps8hkkic0m.jpg

20150327_210058_zps6ss4dhzi.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 1

Here's another one done. Outbreak Ordnance billet lower, PSA kit with the ALG QMS trigger/hammer kit with Seekins Precision mag release and bolt catch, and Magpul stock and grip. Radical Firearms upper with BCM Mod 4 charging handle. I really, really love the looks of this lower. I am very happy with the trigger even though it's not a 3.5 lb trigger, it's clean and smooth break at what should be about 5.5 or 6 lbs is a nice change from mil-spec trigger grit. Anyway, here are a few pictures. Sorry, I'm not using a fancy camera, just my cell phone but pictures turned out okay to show the profile and detail of the lower.

Which hand guard are you using on this one? It look's almost identical to the one I just put on mine. Mine was an Omega Industries but I'm sure it came from the same plant as alot of other names in China.

Which hand guard are you using on this one? It look's almost identical to the one I just put on mine. Mine was an Omega Industries but I'm sure it came from the same plant as alot of other names in China.

It came with the Radical Firearms upper.

20150327_205900_zpseal7ukhy.jpg

20150327_205915_zpsen7xek23.jpg

20150327_205924_zps8hkkic0m.jpg

20150327_210058_zps6ss4dhzi.jpg

Super good looking build! and the pics are great as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So I've been really itching to complete an upper instead of buying one already built. I finally got a chance to do it once I got all the parts and tools. I'm very happy to have finally done it, but I learned one thing for sure "I HATE ROLL PINS!". Well, the one for the gas tube anyway! I think the next one will be easier after some reading and talking to friends (Thanks LukeE) about tips. Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Spikes Punisher lower

PSA upper receiver w/Punisher ejection port cover

PSA lower build kit

BCM Large charging handle (I love it, have several mediums and wanted to try this size. Not as "in the way" as I thought it might be)

Anderson Arms 16" 5.56 M4 barrel

UTG Pro slim 15" handguard (This thing is well made for a $100 handguard!)

Troy Battlesights

Birdcage flash hider from spare parts bin

Magpul trigger guard, grip, and MOE stock

LBE M16 bolt carrier group

20150530_222514_zps9y1igxlh.jpg

This picture didn't take very well, but was trying to show off the finished upper and handguard because I was so proud to finish it!

20150530_222402_zpsgqz3qwhk.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

The last 3 handguards I've bought have been UTG super slim. I really like them. I think my next will be the keymod version too.

I really like the feel, and seems rock solid. I'd like to try the keymod as well.

Did you torque exactly at 35 ft lbs or did you go a little more? I almost went a little more just because but stopped and called it good. One thing I didn't do and remembered afterwards was, tightening, then loosen 2 times before final torque down. Should I redo that?

I really like the feel, and seems rock solid. I'd like to try the keymod as well.

Did you torque exactly at 35 ft lbs or did you go a little more? I almost went a little more just because but stopped and called it good. One thing I didn't do and remembered afterwards was, tightening, then loosen 2 times before final torque down. Should I redo that?

The first one I got was a drop-in for my M&P Sport. Second was a 15" free float and I forgot to do the tighten and loosen thing too. It's been perfectly fine. Third is a 12" on my AR pistol and I did remember to tighten and loosen, but can't tell a bit of difference. I assume it's got something to do with making sure the anti-seize compound gets into all the threads, but I'm not positive. I torqued both to exactly 35 ft lbs too. I LOVE the fact that the gas tube didn't have to go through the barrel nut too!

Did you have to use any spacers?

• Like 1

The first one I got was a drop-in for my M&P Sport. Second was a 15" free float and I forgot to do the tighten and loosen thing too. It's been perfectly fine. Third is a 12" on my AR pistol and I did remember to tighten and loosen, but can't tell a bit of difference. I assume it's got something to do with making sure the anti-seize compound gets into all the threads, but I'm not positive. I torqued both to exactly 35 ft lbs too. I LOVE the fact that the gas tube didn't have to go through the barrel nut too!

Did you have to use any spacers?

Thanks, that's good to hear. Nope, no spacers needed on mine. I really figured I'd be the one guy out of 50 that needed the spacers haha!

Edit to add: So funny about the barrel nut mention. I'd watched SO MANY videos on how to build an upper over the past year I can't even keep count. So when I put the barrel nut on, torqued it down and slid the gas block on there was no notch or hole in the barrel nut for the gas tube to go through like in all the videos. I sat there staring at the barrel nut like I'd forgotten or lost a part! It's hilarious now but not when I was trying to figure out why it looked strange  :rofl:

I'd like to try out one of ALG's rails also.

http://algdefense.com/rails.html

Edited by rugerla1

Thanks, that's good to hear. Nope, no spacers needed on mine. I really figured I'd be the one guy out of 50 that needed the spacers haha!

Edit to add: So funny about the barrel nut mention. I'd watched SO MANY videos on how to build an upper over the past year I can't even keep count. So when I put the barrel nut on, torqued it down and slid the gas block on there was no notch or hole in the barrel nut for the gas tube to go through like in all the videos. I sat there staring at the barrel nut like I'd forgotten or lost a part! It's hilarious now but not when I was trying to figure out why it looked strange  :rofl:

I'd like to try out one of ALG's rails also.

http://algdefense.com/rails.html

I watch as many videos as I can when I'm learning something. Doesn't matter if it's guns, woodworking, cooking, or whatever. By the time I'm ready to try something myself, I feel like I've already done it before. Isn't the internet awesome?

I have been eyeing that ALG v2 rail as well. It's slim and smooth like the UTGs, but even less mass. I like the single built in rails section where everyone needs one. Other than that one, I get to put as many or as few rails where I want them.

I watch as many videos as I can when I'm learning something. Doesn't matter if it's guns, woodworking, cooking, or whatever. By the time I'm ready to try something myself, I feel like I've already done it before. Isn't the internet awesome?

I have been eyeing that ALG v2 rail as well. It's slim and smooth like the UTGs, but even less mass. I like the single built in rails section where everyone needs one. Other than that one, I get to put as many or as few rails where I want them.

Same here, youtube has saved me a lot of mistakes and money on guns, trucks, and home repairs!

I like the idea of putting rails on, but honestly I have a hard time putting ANY on. I'd like one on bottom of front end in case anyone else that shoots it may want to use a bipod, and one on the left side for flashlight, but I still don't like them being on there.

Same here, youtube has saved me a lot of mistakes and money on guns, trucks, and home repairs!

I like the idea of putting rails on, but honestly I have a hard time putting ANY on. I'd like one on bottom of front end in case anyone else that shoots it may want to use a bipod, and one on the left side for flashlight, but I still don't like them being on there.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes as few rails as possible on my handguard.

• Like 1