RC helicopters and drones

10-Ring

Never been into radio controlled stuff except for cars when I was a kid but I received a Syma X-1 quadcopter the other day as a gift and I've had a lot of fun with it.  I actually managed to lose the first one in about 5 minutes, even after spending a couple of hours looking for it I still couldn't find it so I ordered another one off of Amazon for $29.  I'm sure some others here fly these as well?  I'm really impressed by what this machine does for the money.

• Like 1
I don't have the X1, but I have several of there tiny S107G helicopters and one large one. Syma copters are pretty nice from my impression. I like the metal construction and they are easy to fly. Oh, I lost one in a gutter once and took me forever to get it out.

I strapped an old cell phone to the bottom of the big one once and hit record. I got some good video of the yard and top of the house. Fun Edited by Batman
I have several s107g units with spare parts and battery upgrades. Pretty fun but they are quite sensitive to any breeze, even just indoor hvac patterns. So I never fly them outside, and it gets a little boring unless you have a really large room to fly in.
  • Like 1

I have several s107g units with spare parts and battery upgrades. Pretty fun but they are quite sensitive to any breeze, even just indoor hvac patterns. So I never fly them outside, and it gets a little boring unless you have a really large room to fly in.

Yeah, the little ones end up in the gutter if you fly them outside, lol. Inside, they're fun to harass the dog with.

Never been into radio controlled stuff except for cars when I was a kid but I received a Syma X-1 quadcopter the other day as a gift and I've had a lot of fun with it.  I actually managed to lose the first one in about 5 minutes, even after spending a couple of hours looking for it I still couldn't find it so I ordered another one off of Amazon for $29.  I'm sure some others here fly these as well?  I'm really impressed by what this machine does for the money.

the company I work for was a pioneer in drone research.   Its amazing... for 30 bucks you can do what we did 20 years ago for tens of thousands lol.   Back when the gps and attitude sensors etc were too big, took too much power, and cost a pretty penny...   

They are fun but I have no practical use for one, personally.  

I've flown rc helis since 1995. They've come a long way since then. The drones today are nice and inexpensive. Some get programmed to come home in the event of failure. The helis came home in the form of a lawn dart w lots of bad language when failing. All good fun!
  • Like 1

We got one for my 6 yr old for Christmas last year.  The first one was a tiny little quad rotor.  It wasn't assembled properly was uncontrollable when we got it.  Once we got that sorted, the 3 minute battery life made learning how to fly it pretty difficult so we traded it for a normal helicopter (I forget the name) which he's much happier with.  He's gotten reasonably good at it, though it's somewhat hard to manage flying around our living room.  It's listed as "indoor only"... the one time I let him fly it outside, I had to climb up on the roof to retrieve it.  It would be best to fly around somewhere like a gym.