Charter Cable New Digital System

Charter Cable is digital now and you have to get a DAC box from them to connect between your incoming cable and tv.

Problem is my tv has one HDMI input and the digital box takes this one.

So the question is how do I connect a DVD player that has HDMI, USB and component outputs to a tv with one HDMI and one USB and one set of component inputs?

What is a component output/input? Will a USB cable work?

What is the best way to connect everything up?

Thanks for any answers!

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 1

The USB isn't used for A/V transmission so don't even worry about it. You can either buy an HDMI switch to select between the two HDMI devices or just plug the component cables from the DVD player into the TV and use the HDMI for the cable box and switch inputs between the two devices.

Edited by maroonandwhite
  • Moderators

USB won't work. You could buy a new tv?

But seriously, what are you meaning by "component"?

One of these should probably work.

Composite Cable

Component Cable

You could buy an HDMI switcher that you would hook your DVD and Charter boxes to, and then hook the switcher to your TV. That would be more expensive though. You mean you don't have any of the above cables I listed sitting around? I thought everyone had a box full of them somewhere!

What colors are on the back of your DVD/TV?

EDIT: maroonandwhite beat me to it:(

Edited by CZ9MM

Sounds like you got a solution, but I'll mention what I bought anyway. I got a stereo that is called a "switching receiver". It has one HDMI output, and several other inputs, consisting of HDMI in, component in, RGB in, etc. The receiver has several modes such as Cable, DVD, Game, PC, etc. I can configure each of those modes for what ever type of input it uses, so my Cable is HDMI, vcr is RGB, etc. The receiver handles converting everything to the one HDMI output that goes to my TV. All I have to do is select "Cable" on my receiver remote and the receiver takes over and makes all the connections. Want to watch a DVD? Just hit the DVD setting on the Receiver remote.

It also does all the fancy surround sound stuff, plus connects to my network so I get Pandora, can connect to my den PC to get music, and does  a bunch of other stuff I never use. I forget exactly what I paid for it, but it was in the $400-$500 range.