Handgun Permit was denied.

Guest setyourgoals515

The classroom, testing, and range requirements allows the TN HCP to be recognized by more states. 

I'd suggest the fact that we recognize all other states' permits figures into that also. AFAIK, we are the only state that does that?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

And if you want leave the permit system in place for those that want a permit...  create another permit that comes with ever FFL purchased firearm, or pass constitutional carry.

The simple solution is to do away with that entire section of TDOS, take the 'make work' jobs and toss them in the unemployment line...  but I get it that some folks want to keep the gold standard permit so they can carry out of state... and if you want to, feel free to...  but it's a waste to require anybody to take that class to carry a firearm.

Pass constitutional carry... and if we can't make that happen....  make a second permit where you get online, pass a 10 question test for $20 and your permit shows up in the mail a couple of weeks later.  Because everything else TN requires is a complete waste of time and money.

And frankly $20 would still be a rip off...  because it should cost less than $5 to provide the test and $10 for a TICS level crappy background check that takes 10 minutes to complete.

The classroom, testing, and range requirements allows the TN HCP to be recognized by more states. 

Edited by JayC

AL, AR, IN, KY, MI, NC recognizes all other states resident permits... Likely others I know these as they are states I travel...

I thought KY recognized all state permits also but handgunlaw.us states they only recognize the ones that recognize KY permits.  Gary Slider usually has up to date info.  I didn't go to the KY website to check as it isn't an issue for me living in Missouri.

Edited by deadeye111

I thought KY recognized all state permits also but handgunlaw.us states they only recognize the ones that recognize KY permits.  Gary Slider usually has up to date info.  I didn't go to the KY website to check as it isn't an issue for me living in Missouri.

Nope that's not how it is worded... KY honors all other states permits.... No other stipulations....

Nope that's not how it is worded... KY honors all other states permits.... No other stipulations....

teecro you are correct.  I failed to read all the info.... deadeye111

snip from handgunlaw.us

Permits/Licenses This State Honors   (Kentucky)

Kentucky honors all other states Permit/Licenses. 

Kentucky Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor.     (Must be 21 years of age or older) 

I'm not talking about folks on welfare...  I'm talking about 20-something students...  working class folks who have a hard time taking 2 days off of work to get a permit...  single mothers etc...  The price tag attached to a HCP is a lot more than the cost of the class, or the cost of the licence...  time costs money..

I'm not buying the low income is excluded argument, especially when the "low income" folks are carrying smart phones, watching flat screen TVs, wearing designer trainers, and eating steak out on their EBT cards. If it's a priority, they can get it. 

• Like 1