Chef/abattoir new to the forum

Guest Jcmarcum

Guest Jcmarcum
As a chef my most noted speciality cuisine is wild game. I am a native Tennessean and grew up hunting and shooting. I stumbled upon this site while browsing some info on tanning hides. My clients that hire me as an abattoir ie process their animals and instruct them to do so themselves often share the meat so I do not hunt as often as I used to. My freezer stays pretty full. I am trying to perfect my tanning skills to add this to my repertoire. This site appeared to have interesting and knowledgeable perspectives on numerous topics. Thusly I was drawn in and look forward to future discussions.

Welcome aboard JCM.  :hat:

If you have any culinary ideas and suggestions for storage foods and fresh game, why not check out the "Survival and Preparedness" area and share your thoughts?

I'm always looking for interesting suggestions to help beat back food fatigue, and I'm sure others are as well.

• Like 1
Guest Jcmarcum
Thanks again for the welcomes. I took "Prags" advice and posted on "Survival & Preparedness" hope its helpful. I'm happy to answer any questions that my area of expertise may lend assistance. Ex Animo
Guest Jcmarcum
First recommendation use the bones for stock. This can be utilized for a wide variety of sauces later and freezes great. I mean all species of fowl and undulates alike. Use of stock from the same animal regardless of you preparation choice will be fantastic. I wrote a thread in survival and preparedness that might give you some ideas. I recently roasted some bone in doves. Roasted them in about 1/2 inch water w celery, fennel stalks, carrot, and onion covered. After pulling the meat from the bones I set aside. I placed the bones uncovered and raised oven heat to 450* until they became very dry and a slight charring occurs. Then pour water over remove all to stock pot with stock from roasting doves earlier add enough water to submerge bones boil then simmer for an hour or so. Pour through a fine strainer or chinois. Now you can take the desired amount of stock and make a reduction, Demi glacé , gastrique or roux based gravy. ( these directions can be used for any animal) you don't have to use fennel go w whatever you desire your profile to be. I made Crepes filled w roast dove, hard fried bacon crumbled, caramelized fennel & Gorgonzola crumbles. (Use whatever you like to fill) I sauced w a gastrique made by reducing elderberry wine & dove stock. Deer roasted works well and you can make pot pie, shepards pie, or Crepes. Roast over polenta w sauce is delicious as well. Freeze leftover stock and meat for later cuisine ops. Hope you find this helpful. Ex Animo