Primitive Season Instead of Muzzleloader Season

What's the goal we have as hunters? Do we want as many people as we can get buying hunting license and going into the woods to enjoy the sport? That's what I want.

I don't care what you hunt with, I don't care what deer you shoot, so long as it's legal. Let's make it easy for folks to get into the woods. One price for deer hunting instead of 3 separate stamps and a type 94 for doe that TWRA wants us to take anyway.

I don't see any point in making the process of killing any more difficult. We have a shortage of hunters, not a shortage of deer.

I agree
I wish the TWRA would set a flat fee to hunt deer with your tool of choice pick a starting date and a closing date then let us hunt the whole season
Those who want a longer rifle season and to use these single shot rifles have to realize TWRA is managing the resource. If we extend these seasons and make it easier for more people to kill more deer, the resource will be depleted.

Would I like to hunt the first two weeks of Nov with a rifle...hell yes, is it good deer management, No.

And I know TWRA has their flaws but in the end they are trying to manage deer populations, and fund it through license sales. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 2

Those who want a longer rifle season and to use these single shot rifles have to realize TWRA is managing the resource. If we extend these seasons and make it easier for more people to kill more deer, the resource will be depleted.

Would I like to hunt the first two weeks of Nov with a rifle...hell yes, is it good deer management, No.

And I know TWRA has their flaws but in the end they are trying to manage deer populations, and fund it through license sales.

I don't know, seems that there is room for improvement to me. Deer are plentiful, maybe even overly so. I have never seen so many deer run over as I have here. I think seasons are good as they are right now, but the licensing could be more streamlined; one price for any weapon seems would be better. Most places I have hunted had a tiered licence, fishing, hunting, combo, and sportsmans with everything included. When I didn't have my lifetime, I skipped seasons since I was never sure I would be able to partake of any particular season. If I could of bought a sportsman, I would have right in the beginning since chances were that I could do one or the other.

I don't know, seems that there is room for improvement to me. Deer are plentiful, maybe even overly so. I have never seen so many deer run over as I have here. I think seasons are good as they are right now, but the licensing could be more streamlined; one price for any weapon seems would be better. Most places I have hunted had a tiered licence, fishing, hunting, combo, and sportsmans with everything included. When I didn't have my lifetime, I skipped seasons since I was never sure I would be able to partake of any particular season. If I could of bought a sportsman, I would have right in the beginning since chances were that I could do one or the other.

The number of deer dead on the highway has no bearing on herd health. Also it varies from county to county. Also, deer management on a landscape level is difficult. Especially when you have a finite number of harvesters. You just have to find the best middle ground.

As far as the license, Tennessee does have an Annual Sportsman package for $136. But for people like me who don't bow hunt or muzzleloader it's cheaper to buy it 'al la carte'
I wish they would make a primitive muzzleloader only season. I used to love lobbing a Hail Mary at one 100yds away with my old gun just hoping to hit deer. Then putting that old rusty pos in the bath tub to clean it.

I like muzzleloader hunting but I definitely like my newer one :)
  • Like 1

Your allowed to hunt with primitive muzzle loaders now, why would you limit others that have no desire to hunt as you do? , Should they use the same underwear as you and drink the same coffee or beer? why force your preferences on any body else when they don't try to force you to hunt as they do?. Can you tell us why you want others to be forced to hunt like you do ? . I suppose a 1 buck limit might be in order also so there can be a wall hanger behind every tree? . I for 1 only care that folks hunt legal and safe. what they use has no bearing on me. I used my muzzle loader all of gun season except for the last day of the season last year. I took my Winchester 300wm as we had a field to hunt with 500-600y shots possible. I hate bow season but have no desire to end it because a lot of folks enjoy it and a select few carry 1 all year then a few more will only use it til a firearm season opens then proclaim they only use 1 because they have no choice and cant compete against a rifle. I hope the lic prices stay stable but I have a lifetime so the cost wont affect me in the least. our lic fee's are the biggest part of revenue for twra as no state funds are given to support them. looking to extend seasons for special weapons has become popular in other states due to $ being generated but Tn will not add any more listening to some of the folks in charge and I agree. put in comments to change or add hunts to select wma's as most wont effect every hunter in the state and you can have a choice to put in for that hunt and not be forced too. just my .02   :)