High end 1911's, what's the big deal?

10-Ring

I don't doubt one bit, there are significant differences between a high end and low end on cosmetics, feel and some actual performance enhancements.  For the 80% of us, there is probably not enough measurable difference to justify the price gap, so the real answer must be along the following lines: 

-Why does one need a BMW or a Mercedes over an inexpensive car.  All will get you from point A to point B?

-Why does one need a 4,000 sq foot house over a trailer.  Both have kitchens, bathrooms, bedrooms and living rooms?

-Why does one need a Under Armour apparel over the same stuff made by Walmart.  Both are clothing.

-On, on, on......

Could it also be a status symbol?

For the ones who can not afford the finer things in life, they become content and will justify their purchases with any and all means without simply stating the obvious reason for the purchase, and for the ones that can afford the finer things in life, they become content too, and will justify their purchases with any and all means without simply stating the obvious reason for the purchase?  Just more of my :2cents:

Edited by Runco

I think many here are overthinking this.

Status? Hardly

Quality? Absolutely

Reliability? Absolutely

And so on....................

The simple fact is this. I KNOW my Wilson is going to go bang everytime I squeeze the trigger (barring ammo malfunction). I KNOW if something should go wrong with my Wilson, they will fix it on their dime, period.I KNOW I can trust my life to my Wilson.

Will other guns go bang? Sure, but would you stake your life on it?

I think many here are overthinking this.

Status? Hardly

Quality? Absolutely

Reliability? Absolutely

And so on....................

The simple fact is this. I KNOW my Wilson is going to go bang everytime I squeeze the trigger (barring ammo malfunction). I KNOW if something should go wrong with my Wilson, they will fix it on their dime, period.I KNOW I can trust my life to my Wilson.

Will other guns go bang? Sure, but would you stake your life on it?

Yep, that's why I generally like weapons that were/are involved with JSOC contracts.

I dropped 6350 dimes on a something that I have been wanting for some time.  Its perfect for what I wanted.  Now the jury is out where this will go.  After shooting Sig P220 and Glock 21 for a some time now, I may not like it, but considering how rabid some 1911 guys are, I have feeling I will become rabid.  If so, knowing how I am, I will likely venture into the high end at some time.  Maybe the low end just to see the hub bub. 

Edited by Runco
I think there are a lot of folks that simply enjoy the fit and finish of that level of 1911. I also don't think all of those owners necessarily go out of their way to "brag" about owning one. Many also would not claim their shooting is necessarily enhanced. They simply appreciate the inherent quality of the materials and the overall fitment and attention to detail.

If you visit the 1911 Forum you'll discover a lot of Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, etc owners are not particularly "well healed" "showing off" moneyed folk.

A lot of folks discover something they perceive as being of special build quality and they decide to spend their money on it. An upscale motorcycle, a finely built automobile, etc, etc. Good for them.
  • Like 1

I have a Brazos Custom 2011 and an RIA Tactical. Enjoy them both, but there is a noticeable difference.

I have a Breitling and a Casio.  Again, enjoy them both, but there is a noticeable difference.

I had a Porsche and a Civic... see where this is going?

There are levels in all things, just depends on how much you're comfortable spending to get your perceived value.

Mac