Gun Safe Best buy in east TN?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went through the same prob. last yr. checked all over even net, and the best and cheapest is Randys Pawn in Trenton, Ga. His prices cant be beat, and he has a huge sale going 2x a yr. Last yr. had a sale in nov. I saved a fortune and did not have to pay any tax, and he will also deliver and install! Only about 30 miles from chatt.

JeffsSig, I'd like to have a good fire rated safe about that size and I live near Morristown. If you find a good deal pretty close, let me know. Bass Pro shops has a big selection but nothing struck me as a great deal. I'd like to go to Dicks Sporting Goods sometime and see what they've got.

JeffsSig, I'd like to have a good fire rated safe about that size and I live near Morristown. If you find a good deal pretty close, let me know. Bass Pro shops has a big selection but nothing struck me as a great deal. I'd like to go to Dicks Sporting Goods sometime and see what they've got.

Dicks will run a sale on them a few times a year.

I have passed a sign on John Sevier Hwy outside of Knox advertising a Champion Safe Outlet Store. I haven't had a chance to get there when they are open but plan to in the future. No name on the sign, just safe outlet, so not sure how they are listed in the phone book.

Thanks guys for some starting points.

PackinMama

I did find one on eBay and Ill see if I can get a price break for 2?

That is if you want one. PM me if so. I can have em delivered to 1 of 3 businesses in Bean Station, Morristown or Rogersville.

Heres what I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140277310912&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

675$ shipped

GS5922LE Diamond Back 1/2 Hour Fire Protected Gun Safe with Keypad.

Now with Lifetime Fire & Burglary Guarantee

Black textured finish with gold trim compliments any decor.

The carpeted interior and cushioned barrel rests protect your guns.

Fully adjustable shelving allows you to customize the interior to best suit your needs.

Electronic Digital Keypad and straight handle

30 minutes fire protection in a 1250 degree fire.

(4) pre-drilled anchor holes

Heat activated door seal

Drill resistant hardplate

Relocker device

Dehumidifier access hole

Adjustable shelving

16 gun capacity

(9) 1" diameter locking bolts

Dimensions: 6.74 cu. ft.

External: 59"H x 22"W x 16"D

Internal: 56 1/4"H x 20 1/2"W x 10 1/4"D

Weight: 379 Lbs

Edited by JeffsSig
Guest bkelm18

Don't make fire ratings a top priority. They are misleading and aren't going to save your gun in a serious fire. If your safe in engulfed in flames, it doesn't matter what it's rated for, your guns are going to come out as rusted paperweights. Investing in some insurance is the best "protection" against fire there is for firearms.

Thanks everyone for your input......

Ok I went and did it…..

I bought a new safe from my local Co-Op. It is a 22 gun safe.

Measure 30W x 24D x 59H.

I got what I think was a good deal. The sales tax pushed it a bit over what I could of bought online for. But hey…… some one has to help out the government and they even brought it to the house and set it in the old Man Cave.

Its nothing special but it feels my needs for now.

Here are some images. (poor ones)

safe1.jpg

safe2.jpg

safe3.jpg

The racks for the long guns are a bit tall and almost don’t hold my long guns. (Levers)

I guess ill be cutting that down a bit.

Edited by JeffsSig
Congrats! But I always thought the long guns were supposed to be placed with the barrel pointing upwards.:pleased:

There is a school of thought out there, that if a gun is stored muzzle up the oils in the chamber and action will gum up and cause the firingpin and other parts to gum up!

But on old and rare rifles, it is best to store muzzle down, since the oil will

run into the wooden stock and stain it!;)

Its safer for firefighters if the guns are pointed down
There is a school of thought out there, that if a gun is stored muzzle up the oils in the chamber and action will gum up and cause the firingpin and other parts to gum up!

But on old and rare rifles, it is best to store muzzle down, since the oil will

run into the wooden stock and stain it!:pleased:

Thank you, gentlemen. That's why I come here--for the wisdom!

there is a reason for everything. First time I ever heard of storing muzzle down. Makes sense I guess if you gob up the gun with oil.

As for fireman, the muzzle being up is the least of their concerns should my home go up in flames.

Thanks everyone.

Its and old tip my dad always did with wood stocked guns and I guess the reasons are what a few have posted. Not that any of my guns are worth alot. Just habit.

Plus the front row can be removed at the ready to fire position faster?

Also it will give you a bit more room if you have alot of guns?

Packin:

It was around 700$ with taxes and setup.

there is a reason for everything. First time I ever heard of storing muzzle down. Makes sense I guess if you gob up the gun with oil.

As for fireman, the muzzle being up is the least of their concerns should my home go up in flames.

Yep, mine too. I almost hope if mine ever burns it's on the ground before any firemen show up and get hurt. Not weanting to lose my home but I know with the amount of ammo I have purchased in the past year not counting what I had before I will not want to be here myself. everyone has instructions to get out. I'll grab my bug out bag and my SHTF bag but other than that it ain't worth my hide.

Well fwiw, I have some first hand experience with fires and ammo. I was living in a mobile home in '96 and my place caught on fire in the middle of the night. The smoke alarms woke me up and long story short, I got out with the clothes on my back, period. I lost several pistols, rifles, and shotguns (some very sentimental ones too) along with around 5000 rds. of different calibers of ammo. I didn't have the guns in a safe or the ammo in metal cans......the ammo was actually in brown paper bags in the closet. The trailer went up from end to end with flames 20 ft. high or higher in less than two minutes. It was quite literally like 'backdraft' when I opened the front door. I remember it was 12 degrees outside that night.....and that old 1967 trailer was made out of real wood, not the stuff they use these days. When my ammo lit up, it sounded like the fourth of July in the middle of December. I remember standing there in shock watching my trailer burn (along with two of my dogs, a cockatiel, and everything I owned) and hearing bullets exploding. I think that when a bullet catches on fire and the powder goes off, it explodes but the bullet doesn't have any kind of velocity, at least not what it has when it comes out of a gun barrel. Nothing that I'm aware of, including me, the neighbors, the firemen or their trucks, my truck, the 500 lb. propane tank beside the trailer, or the goats in the pen in the back yard were hit by exploding bullets.

From this experience, I have 5 smoke alarms, three fire extinguishers, a couple small fire safes mainly for important papers and keepsakes, all my pictures archived on the computer and backed up (with backup discs located in two seperate homes), all my ammo in metal cans......and now I just need a nice good sized safe for my guns and ammo. I have a friend that works at Coop.....maybe she can get me a discount......I'll be checking into that! :whistle:

Ammunition is not so much the problem as containers of black and smokeless powder.

The bigger concern is gasoline stored in the garage as well as the fuel in the various gas powered vehicles and other machinery.

I am thinking if I alternated the stocks up and down in the RSC that the long guns might fit easier into the safe. But I am not at maximum density yet. No concern of live rounds cooking off in a rifle as none of them are loaded when stored anyway.

I also make use of silicone gunsocks. Ther are great for keeping moisture away as well as providing a buffer between the guns. No dings and dents since I started using them. I have also read testimonials as to where the gun socks protected the weapons in the aftermath of a fire and water used to put out the fire.