A 9mm ain't sh!t

Here's another story I thought I'd share with you. This happened in the summer of '13 right before I got my HCP.

I was in line at Taco Bell when I looked over to my right and there was this big guy opening carrying. So, I decide to talk to him and ask him what gun he had. Which was a Ruger 1911 and then I told I had asked because my HCP was coming soon and I was looking for a firearm for carry.

Then I was getting my order and he comes up and ask what gun am I going to carry. I told him I was thinking of getting a 9mm. At which point he tells I should really get a .45 because that's what has real stopping power or at the very least get a .40. I give him a WTF look and say I'll consider it and then leave.

When will those fools learn it dosen't matter what size you carry, If you can't hit anything, it won't matter what you carry. It aint about the size, it is all about shot placement.

One shot with a .45 will make a big hole and has a lot of stopping power, but id rather have multiple shots from a smaller caliber just in case i miss my mark.

Backwhen i was just getting into guns and didn't know a lick about what to get, I asked a friend who is a local TPD officer. He told me to get a Glock 23 .40 cal because that is what they carry. I actually took my HCP class with the 23 and only missed the target once. It wasn't until i tried out a shield that i knew iwanted another smaller caliber to carry and make it as concealable as possible yet feel like i had a gun in my hand.

So as my EDC( when not working) i carry a 9mm shield and have extra mags just in case. The Glock 23 is my nightstand gun.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lowbuster
People have tendency to impress people who don't know, with things not known to them.
I was on a flight flying over Arizona I think, and looking down to the g round you could see green rectangles and circles of crops. A man proceeds to tell his wife by planting them this way it does this and that. When he went to restroom I told her it's simply because that's how irrigation sprinklers spray.

Oh well

Here's a interesting story I would like to share.

I was in Academy for the first time here in Clarksville a few weeks ago looking at the handguns where this husband is showing his wife guns and here is the interesting part.

He takes her to the 45s and says, "A 9mm ain't #### all it's going to do is piss the guy off but, a 45 is going to stop him."

I was very tempted to say something but, I just shaked my head and walked off.

By the way, the guy was about 5'6 and jacked as hell so he must be compensating for something.

Yea another 9 vs .45 battle.  In the end the best one is the one you can shot well with.  If you can't hit the broad side of a Barn with a .40 but you can shot pretty well with a 9 then stick with the 9 because a hit with a 9 will do a lot more damage then a miss with a .40 or .45 ever will.

Thanks

Robert

When I took my HCP course, my instructor told us, " If you have to be in a fight for your life, continue to fire until the danger is no longer a threat." His view on caliber was "Whatever you are comfortable with." I consider him a very intelligent man and, as a police officer, has protected out community for over 20 years.
I believe that whatever you carry, you need to practice with. Putting rounds down range in the plinking range is one thing. But I really think if you are serious about protecting yourself and/or your people, you need to get involved in IDPA and or practical pistol shooting. Both use scenarios that are closed to real life.
Guest tangojuliet

all of you are heretics the almighty 45acp can kill all, it not only kills the body but the soul and this from the  holy book of jmb chapter 1911  /sarc 

Most of the blustering buffoons that spout the "9mm will only make them mad" and "real men only carry .45s" couldn't hit the broad side of a barn ...from INSIDE the barn.  

Why is it that the Navy SpeWar guys are never heard complaining about 9mm ? Why is it that the British SAS don't complain about 9mm? Because PLACEMENT is king and all else is secondary. If you can shoot then 9 will do what you need it to. If you can't then it won't........

And why is it that people whose biggest accomplishment with a pistol is simply loading without shooting themself (yet) feel the need to impress upon others how great their .45 is and how much everyone else's 9mm sucks?

I did some work with a .mil guy once whose unit had been sent to a school somewhere where some ATF guy who was an instructor had spent an inordinately high amount of time running down the Beretta and 9mm.....even though that was the gun that ALL these military guys in this class were "stuck" with. I simply told him that the ATF guy was a fool and that if the Beretta and 9mm sucked so much that Andy Brown would not have dropped Dean Mellberg with 2 rounds from 70 yards away at Fairchild AFB back in 1994." Focus on YOUR skills with YOUR gun and simply ignore those pompous jackasses who try to make you feel bad about the gun that the government issues to you". I asked if the ATF guy ever shot in front of the students while demonstrating drills so they could see whether he could shoot or not  and the answer was "no". I said " then I'd take what he said with a large grain of salt if he's not going to shoot in front of the class". It is easy to be an "expert" if you never have to prove it.....

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 3

My opinion on this (witch mean absolutely squat to anyone but me) is the caliber doesn't matter I personally don't want to be shot with any bullet anytime anywhere. A 9mm will hurt or kill me just as easily as a .45 if it hits anything vital. I carry a 9mm sometimes and a .45 sometimes and I have complete confidence that if it comes down to it I can defend my life with either.