Input from auto mechanics is appreciated..

I purchaed a 2005 Subaru Baja a few days ago with 180,000 miles on it.

I didn't notice any leaks when I bought it, but now I am seeing some coolant accumulate below the car. The coolant level is low, but it was low when I bought it (I haven't been driving it with low coolant as I've been waiting for the license plate to arrive).

From looking online, it appears previous models such as the 2003 Baja are notorious for blowing head gaskets. I haven't done a block test yet to see if that is the issue.

Also, I'm not sure when the timing belt was last replaced, but the serpentine belt doesn't look too new.

I got a quote to replace the timing belt, along with other various items such as the water pump, pulleys, etc.. For $1200.

I've seen people saying it could cost up to $3000 to replace a head gasket if that was the issue.

Would that make the vehicle 'reliable' like it was new to have that done or should I be looking at engine replacements?

I don't mind spending money on repairs to make the vehicle reliable, but I don't know how those repairs fully affect reliability.

Thoughts?

If the timing belt was never replaced then 180,000 miles on a rubber belt is pushing it. Depending on the type of the motor a broken timing belt can destroy an engine. So in terms of reliability then that would be a good idea if it was not done yet. As far as them changing out the water pump and other items than that is also a good idea since it is buried in behind all of those other items. Now to determine if you are having a blown head gasket issue then you could have someone perform a leak down test. This would be the best way to see if you are having a bad head gasket. Other then that the coolant leak could be coming from anywhere. Just start there and go from there.

Is there any other reason to lead you to suspect you have a blow head gasket?  

The fact that you said that the coolant was puddled underneath the car is likely just external leaks in the hoses, etc. since a blown head gasket is an internal leak.  

Regarding the timing belt and if someone ever had it changed, assuming you can no longer inquire of the previous owner, you might check with the dealer to see if they have a record of the service.    

I really appreciate the info! There is no specific reason that leads me to believe it is a head gasket.

I've never had a car leak coolant and when googling for causes, head gasket seemed common.

Trekbike, I'm really glad you said that head gasket leaks are usually internal as I was starting to worry a bit about the high repair costs.

I haven't checked to see if the oil is cloudy yet, but will try and do that soon.

Planning on taking it to a shop as soon as the license plate comes in to find out where the leak is coming from.

Timing belt should be replaced at 105kmi.  The tensioner and idler pulleys should also be replaced.  Are there no maintenance records available?

Don't know if you saw this site but at the top it shows there's a recall.  Check to see if it was done: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/baja/baja2005.html

If you want to check for head gasket or block issues, you can get this test kit from NAPA: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7001006_0361073538

• Like 1

From experience a blown head gasket rarely leaks radiator fluid out onto the ground. Most times it results in either oil in the antifreeze, which will cause the oil to rise to the top and be easily identified, or antifreeze in the oil, which will make the oil look just like a chocolate milk shake. If you have neither of these then I would assume it is an external leak like a hose or perhaps a water pump and not a blown head gasket.

I suspect the hoses have never been replaced if the belt hasn't and both need replaced before any serious damage happens.

• Like 1

I purchaed a 2005 Subaru Baja a few days ago with 180,000 miles on it.

I didn't notice any leaks when I bought it, but now I am seeing some coolant accumulate below the car. The coolant level is low, but it was low when I bought it (I haven't been driving it with low coolant as I've been waiting for the license plate to arrive).

Fill the coolant to the proper level before you drive it anywhere or you will have a blown head gasket or worse. (make sure the engine is cold when taking the radiator cap off)

Water pumps often go out around that mileage or sooner. If you can not get the maintenance records as other have said its a good idea to change the water pump, timing belt, and if recommended the tensioner and idler pulleys as well.

I've had hard-to-find coolant leaks from hose joints and from the water pump.  Overheating can destroy the water pump shaft seals.  I've ignored a leak to the point that the engine overheated, and then I had to replace the water pump too.  Won't do that again . . . .

Let me add my :2cents: to this. I seen where folks say that heads gaskets normally leak to the internal part of motor. On many imports there are water jackets that carry coolant that run along the very out side section of the motors and they can leak to the outside as often as the inside.Yes that particular engine does have a reputation for head gasket issues. As far as hoping for maintenance records, from the sound of the fact that the serpentine belt shows a lot of age I am guess the previous owner probably didn't do a lot of maintenance on the vehicle. There are also freeze plugs that run along the side of the block  that could be seeping coolant. Imports can be great vehicles and if I was going to keep this vehicle rather than looking for another engine with the possibility buying what you already have I would invest my money in the complete repair of the existing motor that you know has issues but runs good enough to cause you to purchase it....................jmho   

We have a 2005 Baja and its a great car. The thing folks may not realize is its a boxer engine, so the valve covers and heads are much closer to being horizontal than vertical. If you had an external coolant leak from a head gasket (I've seen it happen but it's not super common) it could drip onto the ground pretty easily.

I would have to look at the folder tonight, but we did valve cover gaskets and a few other things not long ago. In our case the oil dripping from the valve over was landing on the exhaust and smoking. The timing belts themselves are rarely a problem, but the tensioners wear out. If you have the belt replaced, make sure all the tensioners are done as well.

The Baja is a cool car with a cult following. If it needed head gaskets and everything else was in good shape I would probably spend the money and do it. Head and valve cover gaskets, timing tensioners, there aren't too many other super common problems on the cars to worry about. Edited by 56FordGuy
  • 2 weeks later...
Coolant finally arrived for the car and I was able to get it into a shop.

They told me that many of the cars suspension parts needed to be replaced to the tune of $2900. Too rich for my blood, so I plan to order the parts and do the work myself.

I was also told the head gasket is blown. The dealer will be replacing it at a later point for $2500 along with the timing belt and open recall.

I also found out that only 30,000 of these cars were made. Makes it a little difficult to find parts, but I've heard it increases the value.

Ouch! 

I have always been fortunate to fix cars on my own.  I learned as a teenager on how to tinker on something in my garage or driveway.  Have all of the tools that anyone would need and lots of specialized tools too.  I know not everyone has the tools, facilities, and patience, but I would recommend that you learn.  Youtube can be your friend as well.  I once bought an older Toyota Avalon on the cheap as a 3rd car.  Drove it about a week, was in a business or something, came out to find a small lake under my car.  Yep, it was my coolant.  Was able to get it home.  Ended up replacing the water pump, timing belt (300K miles, original), idler pulleys, and other items.  Straight time, it took over 12 hours at my own speed spread over a week.  Used Toyota OEM parts from some of those web sites that specialize in OEM parts.  My cost was less than $100.  Drove the car for another 3 years, put another 100K on it, not one issue.  Sold the car, made money.  Similar experience with a Honda CRX I once owned.  Bought it with 200K miles, and experienced a burnt valve half way to 400K miles.  Replaced valve, head gasket, and other while I'm in there parts, and my cost was still south of $100.  From a lack of experience, had to get back in the engine the next week.  Apparently, doing a valve job, caused my piston rings to give out.  Replaced the rings, that was fun, didn't have to pull the motor, thankfully, the oil pan could be dropped.  My car ran for another 200K miles w/o a hitch.  Sold it to a teen, who wanted to make it into one of those Fast-n-furious type cars.  

My only advice, if your going to fool around with older high mileage cars, learn to mechanic on your own, or be flushed with emergency cash or great credit, and to have at least 2 cars if your single, or 3 cars if you are married.  For the working man and 1 car, sometimes you have no choice but to bend over and take it, to get your car back up and running fast.  Businesses know this.