Hornady Powder Measure

I have the standard powder measure that comes with the Honrady Classic Reloading kit. I just used it last week for the first time. I cleaned it good and am using it correctly as far as I know. I am getting a fluctuation when trying to load 4.8 grains. I'll get 5 then 5.2 then 4.7 .

Anyone with helpfull hints is appreciated !

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a powder baffle in it.

Follow these instructions for making it.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shootersforum.com%2Fattachments%2Fhandloading-equipment%2F10528d1320785845-powder-measures-powder_baffle_instructions_and_templates.pdf&ei=xDfqVPK1DNayyATz0IDgBA&usg=AFQjCNFcp2R_pnPyeF6MmC1a_SCIsDs_6Q&sig2=mlHEvkdd_cStOiVpOgPM7w&bvm=bv.86475890,d.aWw

I used an old, thin, advertising license plate. Plastic works well too if it will hold the bend.

You do not need to have a 1/2 moon cut out on the side either. Just a small cutout 1/4" wide and a1/4" deep/ I just cut a triangle out where the 1/2 moon cutouts are.

I have one of those in it. It came with one. But listen to this , maybe I put the powder in wrong : I put the baffle in the empty powder measure. I then poured some powder in the measure. I then "jiggled" the powder measure so that all the powder would go up and under and around the baffle to where the baffle was submerged with powder under and over it it. Could this be my problem ? should I just put the powder in the measure and not jiggle the thing around to get the powder in the crevices and all ?

Try just pouring the powder in, then run several cases through without worrying what weights are thrown.  After emptying the powder from these cases back into the measure, run 10 cases through checking the thrown weight each time.  Normally, the "jolt" of running the powder measure is enough to "work" the correct amount of powder under the baffle.  I'm assuming you thoroughly cleaned the various parts of the powder measure prior to using it?

Try just pouring the powder in, then run several cases through without worrying what weights are thrown.  After emptying the powder from these cases back into the measure, run 10 cases through checking the thrown weight each time.  Normally, the "jolt" of running the powder measure is enough to "work" the correct amount of powder under the baffle.  I'm assuming you thoroughly cleaned the various parts of the powder measure prior to using it?

Oh yes. I cleaned the mess out of it really good and used the Hornady One Shot degreaser and  and even ran a little graphite powder through it .

Depending on what powder I run my RCBS to drop short of what I want.

That way the max drop is .1 gr over.

Looks like you are loading for pistol, as long as it cycles an auto you will be OK.

I also "tap" the handle before ever cycle to get the powder settled.

I have the standard powder measure that comes with the Honrady Classic Reloading kit. 

Sounds like you are using the measure as it comes out of the box, which is the rifle rotor. To test, adjust the measure to drop say 15 grains of whatever powder and weigh them. I bet it will be right on.

You will need to buy the handgun rotor as seen here:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/164839/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-handgun-rotor-and-metering-assembly

Yes I have the pistol rotor and metering assembly. I had to get them separate . The only thing I can think of is that I was "jiggling" around the whole unit to "seat-in " the powder under and over that baffle .

Edited by tercel89