Sawing off a shotgun?

Guest BMcCoy

Mods, I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to put this. Feel free to move it if need be. This may sound stupid, but I am just trying to be informed. My question is this: If I came across a cheap pump action 12 gauge(wouldn't do it to a new one) can you legally shorten the barrel as long as it stays 16 inches long? Like I said, I wouldn't dare cut up a new or really good shape gun. I'm just saying that if I came across a REALLY cheap gun. Thanks in advance.

Ben

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mods, I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to put this. Feel free to move it if need be. This may sound stupid, but I am just trying to be informed. My question is this: If I came across a cheap pump action 12 gauge(wouldn't do it to a new one) can you legally shorten the barrel as long as it stays 16 inches long? Like I said, I wouldn't dare cut up a new or really good shape gun. I'm just saying that if I came across a REALLY cheap gun. Thanks in advance.

Ben

18", man.

Shotguns have to be 18".

Rifles 16"

Both also have to be 26" total length of weapon.

- OS

Shotguns must be 18 inches from the closed breech to the end of the barrel. You need a tax stamp in order to go 16.

Cutting to 18" exactly is a bad idea. If the ATF checks it for some reason and they decide it measures in at 17 & 7/8" it still counts as illegal. I wouldn't have one taken down shorter than 18 & 1/2" myself.

Cutting to 18" exactly is a bad idea. If the ATF checks it for some reason and they decide it measures in at 17 & 7/8" it still counts as illegal. I wouldn't have one taken down shorter than 18 & 1/2" myself.

Yeah, good point.

Interestingly (or not) I've read that the earlier Remington 870 "tactical" shotties were 18" but at some point they went to 18.5" also; perhaps for that reason, dunno.

- OS

edit: seconds behind bkelm :-)

18", man.

Shotguns have to be 18".

Rifles 16"

Both also have to be 26" total length of weapon.

- OS

See..That's why I asked.:popcorn: I might have been sending postcards from cb4 if I didn't check with the infinate wisdom of TGO..:rolleyes: Thanks a bunch fellas.

Ben

Edited by BMcCoy

Like everybody else said the rule is 18" barrel 26" OAL but be safe and stick with 18.5". Take a dowel rod and put it in the barrel with the breach CLOSED and draw a line at the muzzle, pull the dowel rod out and measure 18.5 from the end that was just in the barrel and mark the rod. Hold the dowel to the outside of barrel holding the the muzzle mark to the muzzle put a strip of masking tape around the barrel at the 18.5 mark transfer the 18.5 mark to the tape. I would recomend using a good metal band saw to make the cut. Use a round file to debur the inside of the barrel and reblue, or parkerize, or hell even a dab of spray paint. Install a good set of sights and you are good to go.

Look for a Mossberg Maverick 88 Security Model. It already has an 18 1/2" barrel. You pick one up new for under $200.00 ( I paid $185 for mine NIB) or around $150 used. It is just a Mossberg 500 without frills and has a military crossbolt safety on the trigger guard. I keep mine on a bed rack ( rack brackets slip between the mattress and box springs) and bedding covers it up. Not recommended if you have kids (too accessible) but I put shotgun in safe during day and when grandkids are visiting. Only change I made was a fibre optic high vis sight on front. It is relatively light and easy to swing inside house, perfect house gun! I have a mattress holster for my EDC (S&W 64x) in case I don't have time to grab and swing shotgun.