Caliber Consolidation?

I've never really cared about consolidating calibers.   I guess if I consolidated anything it was calibers that I carry.  I change it up from time to time but the last 6 months I've been carrying 9m or .45 depending on what I'm wearing. .

I never really consolidated per se, just stuck with weapons in the "vanilla" calibers of 9x19mm, .223/5.56 and 7.62x39 And 20ga.

However, if anarachy or alien probers invade, you cant carry ALL of your sexy .338, x40WT, 5.45, .25ACP crap with you...just a main weapon or two and sidearms.

I got an extra set of battle rattle ready to go with a 556 PDW, a SR9 with 300 rds of 5.56 loaded and 5 mags of 9mm.

Yea, I have enough ammo and components to shoot well after a big ammo scare does away with or prices it beyond my reach.  I don't really need more than 1k per caliber, though in a couple I have more than that.  For a bugout situation I doubt I'll be dragging more than a caliber or two out the door so all my stock would go to waste.  I haven't gotten paranoid enough to create caches of ammo all over so what I have is it, and for all my purposes that will be enough.

Buying 1000 rounds of 3 calibers is much less then buying 1000 rounds of 10 calibers.  And buying 5000 rounds of 1 caliber is generally cheaper then buying 1000 rounds in 5 calibers.

Thanks

Robert

I do have big piles of 556, 7.62x39, 22lr, etc., but not so many rounds of 218 bee, 32-20, 303 Savage, 41 Magnum, etc.You don't have to buy large quantities of each caliber you own to still enjoy them on occasion.

• Like 1

I do have big piles of 556, 7.62x39, 22lr, etc., but not so many rounds of 218 bee, 32-20, 303 Savage, 41 Magnum, etc.You don't have to buy large quantities of each caliber you own to still enjoy them on occasion.

This. You can "stockpile" certain calibers and not have to do that for every one you have. I've been looking at adding a .357 to the mix, but it wouldn't require a stockpiling. I doubt I'd ever keep more than a couple hundred rounds of .38/.357 if I take that plunge. Same with 7.62x25 if I ever break down and give in to the need for a Tokarev, or 7.62x38R if a Mosin M1895 revolver follows me home some day. I only shoot .308 for deer season so I only keep about 100 rounds of ball for sighting in and a box of hunting rounds. That should last me several years (or my whole life if last season is a condemnation of my hunting skills). If for some reason any of those calibers become scarce, then I'll just shoot other calibers where I have a little more in reserve.