Anyone hiked the Virgin Falls Trail?

Yeah, 25 years ago. My boyscout troop camped out over one of the smaller falls. The one with a large cave underneath. It was awesome.

It was a LOOONG hike. Well worth it but no way I could do it nowadays. It's one of the best memories I have. Edited by Caster

I've done it a few times, last trip was in 2013. Caster is right, some awesome camping spots. We've done the one by the waterfall with a cave, as well as the campsite at virgin falls.

The hike to the falls is down and in 900ft elevation change over 4 miles of rocky and uneven terrain, the hike back is up and out.

Plan for up to 8-9hrs of hiking. If you're in good form, it'll be less with a light load (5-6). Bring your lunch, some snacks and you'll have a good time. Also, unless you're each going to carry 4 liters of fluids, then bring some way to purify water- either a pump, steripen, or tablets.

At 1.5 miles or so in, there's a cable crossing. You will get your feet wet. Be smart - if the water is a torrent, call off the hike and come back later.

Many areas the trail is loose or in poor condition, stay on the uphill edge unless trail etiquette dictates otherwise. We had a couple youth in the group try the slide down(on accident, and luckily in areas that weren't complete dropoffs). The consensus was that it wasn't enjoyable. Trekking poles are helpful in maintaining purchase while in this terrain.

The hike is great, definitely worth the trip. Enjoy it, and stay safe. How much water is flowing will determine how much you can explore around the falls. Every time I've been, it's been a torrent. In drier seasons, it really opens up.

Good luck!

PS: I really am serious about needing to watch your footing and that it's a very rough trail these days. Next to last trip we were on, a young lady had severely injured her ankle - either broken or sprained. Another group stopped and helped us and her boyfriend, they took turns carrying the young lady, we turtle-packed the carriers' gear - got everyone and their things out in one trip.

Wear the right footwear, watch your step, take breaks before you get tired. Enjoy the hike, it's one of my favorites!

Edited by cj0e

I've never done it, but the info says 900ft elevation gain on the way out.  225 ft/mi isn't that much unless you're used to walking on the greenbelt.  Fairly tame by Smoky's standards.  Looks like there's several creek crossings... take some sandals or old sneakers to change into so you don't have to worry about your boots getting soaked.  If the water is moving faster than a walking pace, cross while facing upstream.  Unfasten any buckles on your pack so you can drop it easily if you fall in. 

Unfasten any buckles on your pack so you can drop it easily if you fall in. 

If you fall in within a few hundred yards of the last fall, screw the pack; Say your prayers cuz it's over for you!!!!!

Hey, I got an idea.  DON'T FALL IN!   :rofl:

• Like 1
It is a beautiful and strenuous hike on the way out. I did an overnight trip there a couple of weeks ago (second trip). Pack as light as you can (for getting out). On the way back to the car, try to have as little water as possible on you once you hit Big Laurel Falls. It is right before you start the elevation gain. I was able to get away with right at a liter coming out because I had left a liter of Gatorade in the car and knew I could hydrate then. Temps were in the mid to upper 70s.

I've never done it, but the info says 900ft elevation gain on the way out.  225 ft/mi isn't that much unless you're used to walking on the greenbelt.  Fairly tame by Smoky's standards.  Looks like there's several creek crossings... take some sandals or old sneakers to change into so you don't have to worry about your boots getting soaked.  If the water is moving faster than a walking pace, cross while facing upstream.  Unfasten any buckles on your pack so you can drop it easily if you fall in. 

225/mi isn't bad. I've played in the Smoky Mtns plenty.

The trail is rough, the elevation change isn't spread out evenly along it.

[PDF WARNING] Here's a trail/topo map. Print it on water resistant paper, or print two copies on large normal paper. Keep one in a ziploc bag. I print on tabloid sheets, but legal/letter is better than no map.

Do the overlook hike. It's not long, but will add some elevation change. It's always been a great view from up there.

Here's the site where I got the map, they've also got stuff you can throw in a GPS, if you use one. Though I'd leave it at home and just take a compass. Lots of canopy in there, I never had signal. Also, your cell phone may work on the overlook, it probably will NOT work on the trail. I had verizon. Mine didn't get any coverage the first trip, left it in the car after that.

And leave the blanket. Take a hammock with straps! Lots of excellent places to hook up and get a nap in. But don't overdo the break. You definitely don't want to hike this one out in the dark.

It's a natural area. Leave no trace, stay on trails. There are trails that lead right up to many caves, including upper sheep. With a good flashlight, you can really peer into some of them.

Cool. I do have a good flashlight so hopefully we can see a sasquatch or something in there.

Once again, it was many moons ago, but I've been all in the cave under one of the falls. There were large pools inside the cave. Very deep and dark. Of course I dove right in. I remember a large boulder under one falling stream of water. Bravery overriding good sense, I climbed it and stood under the falling water. It knocked me off balance and I fell off. Busted my ass pretty good. Knees and elbows bloody. The laughter hurt worse. Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

I've never done it, but the info says 900ft elevation gain on the way out. 225 ft/mi isn't that much unless you're used to walking on the greenbelt. Fairly tame by Smoky's standards. Looks like there's several creek crossings... take some sandals or old sneakers to change into so you don't have to worry about your boots getting soaked. If the water is moving faster than a walking pace, cross while facing upstream. Unfasten any buckles on your pack so you can drop it easily if you fall in.

A stick to dig in with on your downstream side helps a lot too. A necessity if the water is really rollin'.
  • Like 1

Well we made it! It was a lot tougher than I expected but we enjoyed it. We did all of the side trails except for the the top of the falls. The overlook was awesome. I think if we do it next time we will camp one night. Going in and out on the same day is tough.

• Like 2

Well we made it! It was a lot tougher than I expected but we enjoyed it. We did all of the side trails except for the the top of the falls. The overlook was awesome. I think if we do it next time we will camp one night. Going in and out on the same day is tough.

Glad to hear you had a good hike! How busy was it? I suspect it's getting to the point in the season where trail traffic picks up out there.

Glad to hear you had a good hike! How busy was it? I suspect it's getting to the point in the season where trail traffic picks up out there.

We saw probably less than 20 folks going in. A lot more coming in as we were leaving. It took us about 5 hours to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk