Computer help

dralarms

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify:

I have a new Vista notebook, I have alarm programs the will not run under Vista (with little or no possibility of upgrades), the sofeware is "free" to security dealers so I am at their mercy as far as upgrades. I was 30 seconds away from installing XP and chickened out. I don't need Vista but am afraid if I install XP I won't be able to do a restore once the new programs come out for Vista.:D

First thing you need to do is have a plan on how to get back to where you are now after everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

Do you have all your data backed up?

Is your system restore on DVD’s/CD’s or on the hard drive?

Then look at this….

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html

Personally I would just format and install XP. Unless you think Vista has something to offer you.

Once the new program comes out for Vista you can do a system restore and be back where you are now.

Also:

Windows Vista uses a feature called Compatibility Mode which tells the software application that Vista is actually an older OS, specifically Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, or XP.

If your software application won't install, open or work properly, right click on the application's .exe file. Select Properties and then click the Compatibility tab. From there, pick the previous Windows operating system

Also:

Windows Vista uses a feature called Compatibility Mode which tells the software application that Vista is actually an older OS, specifically Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, or XP.

If your software application won't install, open or work properly, right click on the application's .exe file. Select Properties and then click the Compatibility tab. From there, pick the previous Windows operating system

Been there done that. Used to build computers before it got cheaped to buy them. Fixing to just install XP and if they ever get the software working under Vista, I'll backup my data and do a restore on the system.

Been there done that. Used to build computers before it got cheaped to buy them. Fixing to just install XP and if they ever get the software working under Vista, I'll backup my data and do a restore on the system.

Danger, Will Robinson! (possibly)

Note that depending on the laptop design/mobo, there are newer hardware components that are NOT supported by XP. Meaning, no video, sound, whatever drivers for example.

Devices might work in limited functionality, or not at all.

- OS

Guest tcampbell

check with the manufacturer to see if they have drivers for XP. I was in the same boat you are. I called HP and they said they have all the drivers needed. For the most part, you can go to their website and check to see if drivers are available. Since most folk are not crazy about Vista, most vendors are having drivers available for XP now. I would make a Vista recovery disk before doing that, especially if your new PC didn't come with the discs

Guest RISC777

Do the backup for the OS, Vista, as you feel is pertinent or/and important. Then install XP (Pro, I hope you have) as a dual or parallel. Dual versus parallel has it's advantages/disadvantages per the app.s you're needing to run. XP can be allocated a small enough partition for the OS and your app.s leaving the already running Vista the remainder of HD space.

Have no fear(s), forge onward.

** It's not a 64-bit machine with 64-bit Vista, is it ?? **

When you buy a new laptop, it's best to try a dual-boot first, before doing a format and reinstall. If you cannot partition the drive (like my Toshiba), you should just leave it.

If you can't get it to work at all, I'll take it. If I can get SOMETHING to work on it, I'll tell you and give it back. I'm sure the collective brains of an A+ certified Computer Repair teacher and 30 or so Computer Repair students (who mostly exceed the software expertise of A+, aside from actually coding) can figure out a solution. Probably a temporary Ubuntu installation while they look up the required drivers.

Edited by c.a.s.

Many computers have a full system restore that can be invoked with the function keys on start-up. It will return your computer to the way it was when you received it. It’s a non-dos partition that you can’t see; and is not removed in a format. Does your laptop have this?

What model HP is it?

You have went this far; I wouldn’t reinstall a system I don’t want. I would install XP. You don’t need the restore disks for that, and have nothing to lose by trying.

Many computers have a full system restore that can be invoked with the function keys on start-up. It will return your computer to the way it was when you received it. It’s a non-dos partition that you can’t see; and is not removed in a format. Does your laptop have this?

What model HP is it?

You have went this far; I wouldn’t reinstall a system I don’t want. I would install XP. You don’t need the restore disks for that, and have nothing to lose by trying.

Tried that, I hit F11 (system restore) and it just reboots since there is no OS on it.

It's actually a compaq CQ50-110us

I wanted XP on it but I don't have the patience for all the crap I'm having to do to get it to work. Lord I wished dos was still around, I could do anything I wanted or needed to.

Tried that, I hit F11 (system restore) and it just reboots since there is no OS on it.

It's actually a compaq CQ50-110us

Here is what Compaq has to say about what you are trying to do.

I wouldn’t expect them to tell you anything other than they won’t give you support.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01092639&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&rule=27574&product=3752689

Here is a link to a guy that did it on the same computer you have; and has all the drivers.

I have no idea who this guy is, or how safe his site is. I just ran across this while looking to see if your computer has a recovery image. It does, but it requires the OS to be running to make a set of DVD’s.

http://tigerbliss.com/cq50/

I wanted XP on it but I don't have the patience for all the crap I'm having to do to get it to work. Lord I wished dos was still around, I could do anything I wanted or needed to.

If you think back real hard; DOS had it problems also. Besides, DOS is still here; it just has a newer friendlier face. :rolleyes:

If you can use DOS this problem should be a piece of cake.

If that guy has all the drivers, all you need to do is..

Boot off an XP CD

Change the entire drive to an NTFS partition with a full format.

Have all network devices connected to the computer.

Hold you tongue just right.

Install XP

Find out what doesn’t work and fix it.

I doubt that you have any hardware on there that doesn’t have XP drivers.

Here is what Compaq has to say about what you are trying to do.

I wouldn’t expect them to tell you anything other than they won’t give you support.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01092639&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&rule=27574&product=3752689

Here is a link to a guy that did it on the same computer you have; and has all the drivers.

I have no idea who this guy is, or how safe his site is. I just ran across this while looking to see if your computer has a recovery image. It does, but it requires the OS to be running to make a set of DVD’s.

http://tigerbliss.com/cq50/

If you think back real hard; DOS had it problems also. Besides, DOS is still here; it just has a newer friendlier face. :rolleyes:

If you can use DOS this problem should be a piece of cake.

If that guy has all the drivers, all you need to do is..

Boot off an XP CD

Change the entire drive to an NTFS partition with a full format.

Have all network devices connected to the computer.

Hold you tongue just right.

Install XP

Find out what doesn’t work and fix it.

I doubt that you have any hardware on there that doesn’t have XP drivers.

Wow thanks. I have DL all those drivers and am willing to give it another shot. How did you find this info?

Big thanks to Dave, I now have a clean machine with no errors. Everything should be smooth sailing from here on out. I do have the recovery disks coming just in case I ever get to return to Vista.

I like Vista, I have it on my office machine. BUT some programs will NOT work on it.:)

• Administrator

Unfortunately, I do high-level I.T. work all day during the week. I see a lot of stuff get really jacked up by people who thought they were going to fix a problem by following advice that they read on the Internet, or got from a friend, or read in a magazine, etc. Often it causes security holes that techs end up having to go back in behind the user's path of destruction and fix.

Obviously TGO is not a forum about computer repair. I would take anything read here with a grain or two of salt and not try any proposed fixes without researching the heck out of them first.

Remember, if you try a fix proposed by someone on the Internet, you're doing it at your own risk. Chances are that person isn't going to come to your rescue and fix your computer for you if it goes wrong.

And chances are they wouldn't come fix your problem for free anyway.

Caveat emptor.