FTE Question

Guest JayMc

I bought a new 9mm Springfield XD last week. This weekend I ran 50 rounds of cheap ammo through it. After about 30 shots I had an FTE. Then three more on the way to 50. I cleaned it thoroughly when I got home and shot a dozen WWBs through it without a problem.

My question is whether or not I should expect to see a problem with the really cheap stuff or will the gun perform better once I've put a few hundred rounds through it.

It's my first pistol so I have no benchmark to compare it to. :usa:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

First thing I would recommend that you try, is locking your wrists a bit more. It sounds like your pistol is sensitive to "limp wristing". When the recoil of the pistol carries it up and back and your grip doesn't provide enough resistance to allow the slide to properly cycle and forcefully remove the spent casing and feed the next. Typically though this will either be evident in the slide not fully coming into battery or "stovepiping" in which a spent casing gets stuck in the action while the new round is fed. But, it could be a problem with underpowered ammo and a stiff new spring.

Put at least 250 rounds though it. For an exact number of break in rounds read your manual. It will tell you everything. Where to oil, proper breakdown, and many more useful tips.

Thanks. The manual didn't address a break in period (not that I've been able to find anyway), but it does address cleaning and lubrication.

So it's not uncommon?

Guest Verbal Kint
Put at least 250 rounds though it. For an exact number of break in rounds read your manual. It will tell you everything. Where to oil, proper breakdown, and many more useful tips.

+1

I always try to put 300-500 rounds through any firearm I own, especially if it's going to be a carry gun, before I put any confidence in it and start wearing it on my belt. It also helps weed out any potential hiccups that might be lingering due to tight machining tolerances and fit during the break-in period. Would that mean that even if it didn't experience a problem in 500 rounds, that it would definitely go bang on the 501st time? Nope. But I would feel pretty confident that it would.

Put more lead down range, and be aware (as others have said) about potentially limp wristing it while shooting. If you shoot a lot during one session, you are more prone to do just that as you fatigue. Unless there's something obviously mechanically wrong with the gun, give it a little range time and see.

Hope it all works out. :usa:

Thanks. The manual didn't address a break in period (not that I've been able to find anyway), but it does address cleaning and lubrication.

So it's not uncommon?

Yes, I'd say it IS uncommon with XD.

You have the full sized service model?

I can't make my XD SC 9 malf, actually trying to limpwrist, although I can with my Kahr.

XD's are also known to be very forgiving as far as eating most all ammo, 'bout same as Glocks, although you may have found something yours doesn't like...what is the "cheap ammo" you mentioned? There ain't much cheaper than WWB.

Obviously, if you can shoot 4 or 5 other brands/designs of ammo through it with 100% reliability, but the one type keeps having probs, then certainly you could narrow it down to the ammo.

- OS

I might have limp wristed (never been accused of that before). I watched some of the youtube videos on stance, form, etc. I have a good friend who is retired military and a handgun nut. He's going to work with me on form.

It's the service model XD9. I shot Monarchs from Academy Saturday just trying to put a little use to it. They stovepiped, hat tip to 70below for teaching me that term in his reply.

I plan to run a few boxes through it this Saturday between hunts and then again Sunday afternoon. I'll get it past 250 and see what happens.

and shot a dozen WWBs through it without a problem.

My question is whether or not I should expect to see a problem with the really cheap stuff or will the gun perform better once I've put a few hundred rounds through it.

WWB is the really cheap stuff. :lol:

You don’t want to shoot anything cheaper in a gun you want to keep. And you really can’t trouble shoot a FTE with anything cheaper.

Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with WWB, I use it for range ammo all the time. But anything cheaper is going to be really dirty or steel cased.

• 1 month later...

I've been traveling quite a bit and haven't shot much since this post. I shot ~300rds today at On Target with zero problems. I shot WWB and the cheap Remingtons too. As the XD is breaking in I'm liking it more and more.

I've been traveling quite a bit and haven't shot much since this post. I shot ~300rds today at On Target with zero problems. I shot WWB and the cheap Remingtons too. As the XD is breaking in I'm liking it more and more.

99% of what I shoot is WWB. I've never had any problems.

I'm glad things seem to be working better for you.

Keep us posted.