Strange encounters............

Guest billwilly73

Guest billwilly73

I was on another forum and they had a post wanting to know about strange, odd, or otherwise pretty cool things that have happened while hunting or fishing. It was a great read and some funny stories.....so I thought I would ask the same question here.

A few years ago while deer hunting during ML season, I was sitting on the ground up against a tree. There were a couple logs in front of me. A squirrel came and decided to sit on the log in front of me and eat an acorn with his back towards me.............Well I couldn't resist so I reach out with the barrel of my gun and touch the squirrel on the top of the head............I aint never seen a squirrel jump that high.......I think it :D it's self

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A long while back had a little Thrush bird land on the end of my barrel while Coyote hunting. It sat there for what seemed like forever before flying off.

Another time had a ground squirrel come up to me and try to naw on my boot lace. I jerked my foot real quick and he about killed himself trying to get away. he looked like a little pin ball bouncing off of everything trying to get away. I couldn't stop laughing.

When I was a kid, my dad and I were squirrel hunting. It was later in the morning and I was tired, so my dad sat against a tree on a ridge, I leaned back on him and actually went to sleep. He woke me up my gently nudging me and whispering "Shhhhhhh...look" I opened my eyes and a doe was standing just a few feet away. It was amazing. Makes me miss my dad even more.

Another story, I was getting out of my Jeep the other morning and I park beside a tree full of acorns and squirrels. Well there is a cut area where a limb was removed and a squirrel was sitting there "barking" at me, so I started barking back....Well there we were, me in a shirt and a tie barking like a squirrel, at a squirrel and a that squirrel holding an acorn, barking at the crazy guy in a shirt and tie barking back at him.

I was hunting an either sex Bow hunt 15 years ago or so and had a real moral delemma. I had a doe cross in front of me, I had never shot a deer at the time and had the perfect 20 yard shot. But by the time she came from the thicket I got a good look at her and she had about a 4" red ribbon tied around her neck like she was gift wrapped for me. I knew right then that someone had raised this deer, we were on a lease in Jackson Co. Well I let one fly anyway. Missed her. She ran up the hill away from site. My dad didnt tell me until about 6 months later that she ended up running by him and he gut shot her. He never found that deer. A shame, but what a weird story.

Later that night we went to the local tag place and I was telling my story and the whole place stated to whisper to one another about the "red ribbon deer" like it was some ghost folk lore. Dad didnt tell me or anyone else for a long time.

Guest coldblackwind

I don't have any real good ones, but my dad has told me a couple that are down right hilarious! Now bear in mind, these took place in the '60's and generally started with, "so we had been drinking all day", and these are both TRUE stories.

My dad used to hunt with a guy called Carlini. My dad and carlini were heading back to the house after hunting all day. Carlini was down to 2 rounds, but a deer ran out in front of him, so he took the shot. First shot missed, but he hit it with the second, but didn't kill it, just knocked it down. Now, the smart thing to do at this point would obviously be step aside and let my dad (who had ammo) finish it, but that wouldn't be any fun would it? So Carlini takes option B, and tackles the deer. Well, the deer was wounded, but it was by no means out of the fight, so theres my dad watching carlini wrestle this deer. Carlinis up, then the deer is up, then carlini's up, then the deers up, and all the time carlinis yelling "Shoot it brandon, shoot it!", and my dad is yelling back "get out of the damn way!" Eventually they managed to get it figured out and they bagged it, but it must have been a heck of a show.

Story two. Another deer hunting trip with Carlini. Carlini is up in a tree stand, and my dad is sitting at the edge of the same field, but at ground level. Suddenly my dad hears a shot, then he sees a deer shoot out of the woods right under where carlini is sitting. This is when he starts hearing the yelling. "Brandon, shoot it brandon, the deer stole my gun, shoot it!" Sure enough, Carlini shot, lost his grip on his shotgun, which fell, and landed directly on the deer's antlers, and was hanging by the sling. So now the deer is running full tilt across the field with carlini's shotgun attached to its head! That deer I don't think they got, but they did get the shotgun back as I recall. Bounced off partway across the field.

My buddy and I went catfishing at our usual spot one night earlier this summer. We had just got our hooks baited with some chicken liver, and cast out. I sit down, and jam my fishing rod between two big rocks, nice and tight. I relax a bit, and start the stare-off at the top of my rod, waiting for some action. Not sixty seconds after I sit down, the pole doubles in half, and shoots off into the water, and an unbelievable pace. I tried chasing after it into the water for a few feet, but this thing was bookin' like nobody's business! I get out of the water, and my buddy and I can only say, "oh my god", and then laughed for about ten minutes (may have been alcohol induced). Writing off that seventy dollar rig as gone, I cast out with another rod. We fish for another hour or so at that spot, and then move about 100 yards down the shore for another spot. I cast way out, let it sit for about ten minutes and start reeling in. The line feels like it's caught up on the bottom, so I start pulling in slowly. When I get to the end of my line, I see that I'm caught up on some other fishing line, pretty usual stuff at this lake. Being a friendly fisherman, I grap the other trash line out of the water and start pulling, and guess what's at the other end? My frickin' catfish rig!! Unfortunately, there was no fish at the other end of the line. Something tells me he would have been a keeper though.:D

I haven't hunted for about 4 years due to having a child, but hunting had always been a huge part of my life, since I was a child going hunting with my dad and brothers. Once I was deer hunting and I sat down on the ground with my back against a tree. I dozed off with my shotgun laying across my lap. A rustle of the leaves woke me up and I halfway opened my eyes and saw a nice 8 point buck six feet away from me, head down, looking straight at me and cocking his head from side to side like a dog does sometimes, trying to figure out what I was I guess. I had Tink's 69 on my boots and it was ruttin' season :eek: so I think he was a bit confused! I kept my eyes squinted and just watched him for what seemed like forever.....as I tried to figure out how I could possibly get a shot off with my back against the tree and the buck slightly to my right.....I couldn't get into position to raise the shotgun up to my right shoulder to shoot.....so finally I made my move....rolled to the left, brought the gun up to my shoulder, and my beautiful 8 pointer was already gone into the thicket that was about 15 feet away to my right. I'll never forget staring into that deer's eyes at such a close distance. Memory of a lifetime.

Another time I was bow hunting and had a little bird land on the top of my bow for a couple minutes...that was pretty cool. And yet another time I was sitting on the ground in full camo squirrel hunting and my feet were straight out in front of me actually laying over what I thought was a deer trail.....I heard something running through the leaves to my right and I saw this big old groundhog barreling down the trail headed my way.....I held perfectly still and he ran right over my legs and kept on going! :D

That other fourm would not be GON?.... Was hunting in Tellico early bowseason a few years back. Right at daylight a big ole owl landed in a tree about 20 yards from me. I watched it for a while then got the BRIGHT idea to mess with it. I had a face net on so I started to make faint squeeking sounds. Well that owl couldn't quite figure what I was. After a few minutes it let out a screem that would raise the dead, came off its limb flying straight at my head with its tallons wide open. Being in a tree stand with a body harness on dont give much of a escape route. The owl didnt miss me no more than a foot, its wing hit me in the back of the head. As it went thru the forest it screeched again....Lesson learned {sometimes} its not nice to fool with mother nature.....got another one about a fox I might tell ya'll sometime :eek:

Edited by Shug
Guest Jcochran88

when i first started turkey hunting i thought that you had to get to the woods hours before the sun came up. wich usually led to a nap up against a tree wich leads me to this story one time i had done that when i woke up i had a 3 foot long copperhead curled up right between my legs at less than 8 inches from my boys!!!!!!

Guest billwilly73
when i first started turkey hunting i thought that you had to get to the woods hours before the sun came up. wich usually led to a nap up against a tree wich leads me to this story one time i had done that when i woke up i had a 3 foot long copperhead curled up right between my legs at less than 8 inches from my boys!!!!!!

I would have :eek::poop::D my pants

Guest Ghostrider

Once in SE Asia this guy comes out of his hooch, I'm up about 20 feet in a tree about 500 meters out and my cover man is high and about 50 meters to my right...

Oh, sorry, different kind of hunting... :D

Guest sharpshooter01

I was hunting Ft., Campbell one time and had this hen turkey come walking through the woods behind me. The odd thing about her was she would take about five steps and do a 360. I first thought she was just feeding, but her head never went to the ground. She did this till she was out of sight. I guess she got to close to the impact area where they do war maneuvers and had her brain rattled :lol:

I was hunting Ft., Campbell one time and had this hen turkey come walking through the woods behind me. The odd thing about her was she would take about five steps and do a 360. I first thought she was just feeding, but her head never went to the ground. She did this till she was out of sight. I guess she got to close to the impact area where they do war maneuvers and had her brain rattled :lol:

That's called a "Crazy Ivhen."

Edited by BrasilNuts
I made it funnier

I was in Alaska with my brother, 12 yo nephew, and a 13 yo cousin salmon fishing. The boys were on opposite sides of the creek, knee deep in the water, when my nephew hooks up. He’s fighting this salmon with all he’s got and it makes a run towards my cousin, jumps out of the water and lands right next to him completely soaking him. We all got a good laugh out of it, but my nephew laughed the hardest. About an hour later my cousin hooks up and the fish makes a run upstream sees my brother and takes off like a shot back down stream where it jumps out of the water and hits my nephew square in the chest knocking him flat on his back in the middle of the creek.

My cousin got the last laugh.