.30 Badger (wildcat)

Caster

A friend of mine worked this little wildcat up.  I got mine built and finally got to shoot it this morning.

Basically, it's an easier to deal with, 32/20.

Using a 7,62x25 Tokarev sizer, push a .38 special case through in one shot.  You end up with a .30 Tokarev shoulder with a longer neck.  Water measurements are about .1g with the 32/20 case so data is interchangeable.  The distinct advantage is .38 special brass is EVERYWHERE.

FullSizeRender_zpszjdkb8au.jpg

My rifle is built on an SB-2 rifle action [H&R hand] so short of loading a case full of bullseye, it'll hold whatever I want to try as long as I use a little common sense.

IMG_0539_zpsjnvxfuwm.jpg

IMG_0538_zpsxk4gcrkp.jpg

The barrel was made by stubbing a .30 cal barrel into a 12g shotgun barrel and machining the extractor to match.  The barrel is completely free float.  The forearm is attached to the 12g stub and the barrel itself screws into threads chased in the 12g chamber.  

The cartridge VERY easy to make.  MUCH easier than making 300 BLK cases.  I've loaded about 7 different loads so far ranging from 98g cast to 180g cast & 150g jacketed, using AA#5, AA#7, Trailboss, HS-7, AANitro100NF & for the 150g jacketed load I used a compressed load of AA2015 which shot VERY well.  

image_zpspoixbvjo.jpg

Even made me some "Factory" boxes!!

image_zpsgszj19mf.jpg

Dave Manson at manson's reamers has the print on file if anyone wants to build one.  A quick call to Manson will get you a reamer.  

As far as accuracy goes, I didn't try too hard, I just wanted to enjoy my range time today.  It'll put the 150g jacketed (5 rounds) into a 1.3 inch circle with ease.  I could do better with a different scope.  I'm using an El Paso steel body Weaver K4 with a post reticle.  

A 125g  flat point plain base cast bullet over 7.0g of Accurate #7 will clover leaf at 25 yards,  Next time, I will scoot out further.

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

I thought about that, but revolvers just do not like bottle necks do they?  It would be very cool AND, if I were gonna do it, I'd do it to a Blackhawk in .30 carbine.  barrel is correct, throats are correct, just ream the chambers and go.

Velocity can easily exceed 32-20 if I wanna push on it,  I don't, but I could safely get well on past 32-20 just because the brass and action strength exceed any of the old 32-20's with the exception of a Contender.  Even then, case failure would be the deciding factor and a 32-20 case is certainly thinner than a 38 special.

Interesting. I always thought a 7.62x25 would make an excellent plinking rifle cartridge. This is sort of like a rimmed version? How cool would this be in a small lever rifle?

I really like the checkering on that H&R too! :up:

Edited by gregintenn

Ohh, were I to run across a steal on a 357 lever gun, this would be the conversion it gets.

What would be involved in that? Obviously a barrel, but otherwise?

As far as a revolver, there were many .32-20 revolvers made. Mostly single action SAA or clones, but S&W made double actions and Ruger has made their Blackhawk in this. .44/40 is a bottleneck cartridge as well, I believe that both the .44/40 and the .32/20 has a small enough bottleneck that it works ok.

This has me very interested as with the .22lr being as hard to get as it is, I have been contemplating a center fire replacement. .25acp would be nice but no body makes anything in it, especially rifles. Been looking at .25-20 and especially .32/20 hand loaded subsonic as a replacement.
I don't beleive a 32/20 chamber would clean up.

As far as the lever gun, the only thing other than the barrel that might need workin on would be the elevator. It might need some attention to make it feed.....but I doubt it and would have to try it before I monkeyed with it.

You are dead on about .22 though. This is a suitable replacement for the .22. I can load it cheaper than the current can't find it pricing for .22 ammo. I've got a couple of plinker loads working that cost me about 6¢ each to load. The most serious cast loads cost no more than 7-8¢ and obviously go up exponentially if you're loading jacketed stuff.
Although, if one could get a line on some mil surp pulls .......maybe even culls no one wants because of pull marks, they'd still work fine for 25 yard plinking.
I would use it for some plinking but I'm thinking mostly hunting uses. I can use 9mm or .38spl or .223 for just plinking around. Thinking squirrel and similar sized small game. I see Hornady makes both a 86gr round nose and a 90gr XTP in .30cal. That's the smallest i found in a quick google search. Still twice the weight of a .22lr bullet though.

I'm sure you know of what cast molds are available, anything small and light? Is there a simple .308" spherical ball available? I don't cast yet but would like to in the future.

I don't beleive a 32/20 chamber would clean up.

As far as the lever gun, the only thing other than the barrel that might need workin on would be the elevator. It might need some attention to make it feed.....but I doubt it and would have to try it before I monkeyed with it.

You are dead on about .22 though. This is a suitable replacement for the .22. I can load it cheaper than the current can't find it pricing for .22 ammo. I've got a couple of plinker loads working that cost me about 6¢ each to load. The most serious cast loads cost no more than 7-8¢ and obviously go up exponentially if you're loading jacketed stuff.
Although, if one could get a line on some mil surp pulls .......maybe even culls no one wants because of pull marks, they'd still work fine for 25 yard plinking.

I'm betting it would feed as is. I don't have a tok sizing die, or I'd make up a round and try it for you.

I have a 32-20 Smith and Wesson hand ejector. It works fine, but I could see some bottleneck cartridges sticking in a revolver cylinder. I think results were mixed with the 22 Jet.

The 32-20 is a fun cartridge, but cases are fragile and hard to come by. This idea does away with both those problems.

Edited by gregintenn
A .30 Mauser sizer will work also, they are dimensionally the same.

I'm betting it would work too, my only thought is if the nose drops just a tad, it could get hung on the face of the barrel. Highly unlikely but something to be mindful of when doing such a conversion.

Night runner, Tom over at accurate molds could make a .310 mold about as little as you want. I'm betting 75-80 could be made with no trouble. They're pricey but you get what you pay for and he makes AWESOME molds. Best in the business. He has certain restraints. All designs must have a minumum meplat of .180 but that's no big deal.
Oops posted too soon, he already makes a 46g pellet rifle bullet. The great thing about Tom is, if you see something you like but wanna modify it, he's all over it. You could order the 46g pellet rifle mold and have him make it .311 and the relief groove would work perfect for a lube groove.

Here's a print

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=30-046A-D.png

Not sure about the legalities of squirrel hunting with a centerfire but it would be great and work very well! You could run about 3.0-4.0g of Bullseye with that for super cheap, but tree rat deadly shooting. Edited by Caster

In Tennessee, it is illegal, for some reason, to hunt small game with a center fire cartridge; excepting shotguns of course. A 22 Hornet works great, as does a 38 Special wadcutter; but they aren't a legal means of doing so.

It would be quite the turkey popper as well, but again, no dice in Tennessee.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

In Tennessee, it is illegal, for some reason, to hunt small game with a center fire cartridge; excepting shotguns of course. A 22 Hornet works great, as does a 38 Special wadcutter; but they aren't a legal means of doing so.

It would be quite the turkey popper as well, but again, no dice in Tennessee.

"Deer? With a thuty-thuty? No sir, warden, I was just huntin' squirrels!"

I think this scenario was the impetus for the no center fire rule, as well as no possession of buckshot or slugs while hunting birds or small game.

If the rimfire dearth continues, these laws need to be relaxed a bit, IMO.

• Like 1
I wonder if the chamber could be cut with a 7.62x25 reamer? This post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256118-30-Badger-30-Reece&p=2972130&viewfull=1#post2972130 states that Dave Manson suggested having a reamer made without the rim. Then a deeper chamber could be cut. Then one could use 357 mag or max cases.

Without looking up the chamber dimensions for each round, I don't see the difference between a rimless ".30 Badger" and the 7.62x25. Edited by Clod Stomper

I wonder if the chamber could be cut with a 7.62x25 reamer? This post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256118-30-Badger-30-Reece&p=2972130&viewfull=1#post2972130 states that Dave Manson suggested having a reamer made without the rim. Then a deeper chamber could be cut. Then one could use 357 mag or max cases.

Without looking up the chamber dimensions for each round, I don't see the difference between a rimless ".30 Badger" and the 7.62x25.

The 30-357(formed with 300blk die) and 30-357max(300max cat) already exist. Kind of defeats the purpose of cast and reduced loads if you increase case capacity. The 300MaxCat can get some excellent velocities