What's the best 22 Hornet & it's Hunting Applications?

On one hand, I do NOT like it when people try to talk each other out of something they want BUT....I'm with MacGuyver all the way.  The .223 will do anything the Hornet will do and more...cheaper and easier.  Rimfires may have an advantage in that capacity and storage of ammo is better but there is NO advantage to the Hornet over the 223.

Caster, you and MacGuyver are 100% right on. I guess we could say the .223 is more plentiful these days than .22LR! Who'd ever thought we'd see that day, but it's a reality. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I have three choices of shooting platform for this round, and reload it as well. So, maybe I just need to get a little more creative at the loading bench with my .223. There's just something nostalgic about shooting that little bottleneck centerfire. Bet it was dirt cheap to shoot, back in it's hey-day.

No experience on coyote with this round, only paper at 100yds and it did fine for that. And that was with a Ruger 77/22Hornet. Fine rifle, but I have always lusted for a pre 64 model 70 in this caliber.

I'm right there with you on lusting for a particular model or caliber. I have a Savage 24 fettish myself!

Lightning just popped overhead....talk later!

79 Troublehead, thanks for your 2 cents. Did the H&R Hornet take the coyotes "DRT",most of the time, or did you get spinners and runners? I realize shot placement has almost everything to do with that too. But, I was just wondering if they fell like a sack of potatoes? I don't want to wound them, and then spend all of my hunting time tracking them down, to finish the job. Good point on soft point instead of hollow point. I can see how it would probably have deeper penetration, before expanding. I'm not familiar with the RWS ammo, I don't believe. Have you seen it here in the states?

Dropped right there when I did my part. It's a light for caliber bullet at a leisurely pace, so you have to call the shot. It will usually exit on a broadside low behind the shoulder shot, and reach into the chest cavity (at least) on frontal shots. The HR is a single shot, with an old weaver 6X on it, so it ain't spray and pray. My uncle was up in Alaska in the late 50's, and again in the early 80's and mentioned the natives used it on pelt hunts due to the lighter damage to the skin. So there you go, it's recommended as big medicine for Alaska hunting.

Hozzie, I'm a bit frugal (cheap) when it comes to buying firearms. I like to get the best bang for my buck... no pun intended... when buying firearms. I don't own any snob firearms, nor do I have any criticism of those that do. To each his own, as they say.

I've been around anyone shooting the 204 Ruger, but have heard good things about the round. I'd definitly go for the 22-250 if I were hunting out west, with the wide open spaces. But, here in Middle Tennessee, with the wooded areas, most shots will probably be under 200 yards. Have you harvested ( pc speak for killed) coyotes with the 204 Ruger round? If so, hou was it on the hides? I realize good coyote hides in this area is not the norm, due to our hot weather.

No worries on being frugal.  No one can blame anyone for that.  I have many Coopers, CZ's and Savages and they are all great guns in their own respective categories.

As for 204 on a coyote, I have had little damage and a lot of damage.  If you are really wanting to make sure the pelts are not damaged as much as possible, a 204 within 200 yards is probably a bit too destructive.

Edited by Hozzie

Dropped right there when I did my part. It's a light for caliber bullet at a leisurely pace, so you have to call the shot. It will usually exit on a broadside low behind the shoulder shot, and reach into the chest cavity (at least) on frontal shots. The HR is a single shot, with an old weaver 6X on it, so it ain't spray and pray. My uncle was up in Alaska in the late 50's, and again in the early 80's and mentioned the natives used it on pelt hunts due to the lighter damage to the skin. So there you go, it's recommended as big medicine for Alaska hunting.

Thanks for the information. I have a break barrel Thompson Center Contender, similar to the H&R, with two 22 Hornet barrels... among other barrels. My 22 Hornet barrels are a 10" octogan pistol barrel and a 23" stainless rifle barrel. I'm planning on using the rifle barrel on the yotes.

Your uncle saw some beautiful country in Alaska back in the 50s. I spent a year on Kodiak Island, back in the 60s and flew all over Alaska...beautiful country...very frontierish. I hate I never got to do any hunting while there.

Back to the Hornet and the Contender. I have three Contender frames, so I may take both a .22 Hornet pistol and .22 Hornet rifle with me on the coyote hunt. Both have scopes, but I'd only try a close shot with the pistol and use the rifle on the longer (150 yd. Max) shots. You wouldn't happen to remember the barrel length and twist on that H&R barrel, would you?

No worries on being frugal.  No one can blame anyone for that.  I have many Coopers, CZ's and Savages and they are all great guns in their own respective categories.

As for 204 on a coyote, I have had little damage and a lot of damage.  If you are really wanting to make sure the pelts are not damaged as much as possible, a 204 within 200 yards is probably a bit too destructive.

Hozzie, I appreciate your candor on the 204 Ruger round on coyotes. I don't mean to sound like a fur trader, because I'm not. And... getting a nice coyote pelt here in the sweltering climate of middle Tennessee, might be quite a challenge. But, my thinking is that if we had a hard winter, I might be able to get a nice one. If that were to happen, I'd like to get it tanned to keep for myself.

I might still look for a 204 barrel for my TC Contender. What kind of gun were you shooting in 204?

I have a Savage 12 LRPV, Cooper MTV, and an AR using the CMT TGO Lower with a Sabre 204 Upper.  I have shot them with the Cooper and AR with similar results.  The Savage is mostly a bench gun for prairie dogs as it is too heavy to lug into the woods.  

Thanks for the information. I have a break barrel Thompson Center Contender, similar to the H&R, with two 22 Hornet barrels... among other barrels. My 22 Hornet barrels are a 10" octogan pistol barrel and a 23" stainless rifle barrel. I'm planning on using the rifle barrel on the yotes.

Your uncle saw some beautiful country in Alaska back in the 50s. I spent a year on Kodiak Island, back in the 60s and flew all over Alaska...beautiful country...very frontierish. I hate I never got to do any hunting while there.

Back to the Hornet and the Contender. I have three Contender frames, so I may take both a .22 Hornet pistol and .22 Hornet rifle with me on the coyote hunt. Both have scopes, but I'd only try a close shot with the pistol and use the rifle on the longer (150 yd. Max) shots. You wouldn't happen to remember the barrel length and twist on that H&R barrel, would you?

The barrel measures 22" by my tape, from breech to muzzle. As to the twist rate, I have no Idea. I would guess 1:12ish. I've heard the new Handi rifle in .22 hornet has a 1:9, but I'e not seen one. The industry standard is a 45 or 46 gr bullet, so I would assume a fairly sedate twist rate. It's a neat little woods loafing rifle, and a lot easier to hump up these cumberland plateau hills than my BVSS 22-250 @around 15 lb.

The barrel measures 22" by my tape, from breech to muzzle. As to the twist rate, I have no Idea. I would guess 1:12ish. I've heard the new Handi rifle in .22 hornet has a 1:9, but I'e not seen one. The industry standard is a 45 or 46 gr bullet, so I would assume a fairly sedate twist rate. It's a neat little woods loafing rifle, and a lot easier to hump up these cumberland plateau hills than my BVSS 22-250 @around 15 lb.

Appreciate the information 79. I believe all of the .22 Hornet ammo that I've been able to gather is 45 grain. I'll reload all of this brass as I shoot up the factory loads. I bought a Lee Hand Press to reload this thin brass, as I am concerned about crunching it with my Rock Chucker. I'm not sure of the twist on my TC Contender barrels, so I think I'll just stick with 45 grain bullets.

I can see where your 22-250 BVSS, at 15 lb., could be a challenge during a day in the woods, especially when climbing up and down hills. I'll bet it will reach out there and touch Mr. Coyote a far piece! Do you get the chance to stretch it's legs on game in your area? Around here, it's usually 100 - 150 yards. That's why I'm interested in the .22 Hornet as a walking around woods gun.

I have a Savage 12 LRPV, Cooper MTV, and an AR using the CMT TGO Lower with a Sabre 204 Upper.  I have shot them with the Cooper and AR with similar results.  The Savage is mostly a bench gun for prairie dogs as it is too heavy to lug into the woods.

Nice guns Hozzie. What is the Savage chambered in...22-250? I also have a Bushmaster AR .223, which I've taken on a couple of coyote hunts, but didn't have any come in so I could try it out...with factory varmint rounds. I reload .223, so as a couple of the guys have mentioned previously, I can probably "load down" to load that will get the job done without tearing up the pelt. I still want the satisfaction of bagging a yote with the .22 Hornet.

No, my Savage is also a 204.  My 22-250's right now are a Cooper MTV and an old Remington 40-XB.  22-250 is probably my favorite all around varmint round.  I like Coopers as you can tell, I have the same gun in 204, 223, and 22-250.

Edited by Hozzie
Guest RugerHornet

sidewinder,  google this....     killer of giants 17hmr net      first link should take you to it,  may have to click killer of giants to bring up pics... its an old link but great pic's    i use hornet for everything from squirels to deer,  had mine k'ed  to help save on brass life, so far so good,  but with everyting  shot placement is key,

killed many deer with 22lr when i was in my teens, i have no doubts it will down a yote at 200 yds, i just have not been lucky enough to see one yet.  its cheep to reload,12 to 13 grains power, fairly quiet, recoil friendly and FUN; the grandkids love shooting full pepsi cans and water bottles :pleased:

the best 22 hornet is the one YOU like,  handle as many as you can.

admin: hope its ok to put that other site name up there,  if not,  please remove post.

sidewinder, google this.... killer of giants 17hmr net first link should take you to it, may have to click killer of giants to bring up pics... its an old link but great pic's i use hornet for everything from squirels to deer, had mine k'ed to help save on brass life, so far so good, but with everyting shot placement is key,
killed many deer with 22lr when i was in my teens, i have no doubts it will down a yote at 200 yds, i just have not been lucky enough to see one yet. its cheep to reload,12 to 13 grains power, fairly quiet, recoil friendly and FUN; the grandkids love shooting full pepsi cans and water bottles :pleased:

the best 22 hornet is the one YOU like, handle as many as you can.

Thanks RugerHornet, I enjoyed the forum. I do reload, and the load I kinda favor is: 12.0 gr. Of Lil' Gun and a 45 gr. Soft Point. That ought to give me a little over 2600 ft/sec. Hopefully, it will ruin a coyote's day... as well as other game too.

admin: hope its ok to put that other site name up there, if not, please remove post.

Edited by Sidewinder

If you like a light rifle, keep an eye out for a vintage Winchester model 43. If you prefer a heavier rifle, a pre 64 Model 70 Winchester can't be beat. Better be prepared to shell out some cash though.

Gregintenn, I kinda like the Savage for the out of box accuracy. I've been looking at the Walking Varminter, but the prices are all over the board. What do you think of it in a wood stock?

No, my Savage is also a 204.  My 22-250's right now are a Cooper MTV and an old Remington 40-XB.  22-250 is probably my favorite all around varmint round.  I like Coopers as you can tell, I have the same gun in 204, 223, and 22-250.

Hozzie, I'm sort of a Savage man and was wondering what you thought of the Savage? I have a few Savages in various models and calibers/gauges. I don't have anything in the 204 though. I'll have to give it a clooser look. That 22-250 should give you plenty of range to not have to worry about too much stalking, here in TN. What kind of ft/sec are you getting with that round?

Gregintenn, I kinda like the Savage for the out of box accuracy. I've been looking at the Walking Varminter, but the prices are all over the board. What do you think of it in a wood stock?

I've no experience with that particular rifle. I am a Savage fan, however, and have yet to own one that wasn't accurate.

Big .22 hornet fan here. Realy like ruger 77 .22 hornet, Mine had a horrible trigger though.

Singlestack, did you use your 22 Hornet for hunting or target shooting. If hunting,what did you mostly hunt with it? Any particular hunting tales that you'd like to tell us about... and how the Ruger in 22 Hornet performed? Do you handload or shoot off the shelf ammo through it? If you reload, is there a certain load that hits the "sweet spot" for your gun?
  • 1 month later...
Well, I guess I wore everyone out with so many questions! I do want to thank everyone that gave answers and foresight into my topic of the .22 Hornet. I like the positives mentioned here about the round; quieter, less recoil, decent performance under 200 yards, and a pound of powder goes a long way in these small cases.

I appreciate all of the negatives that was pointed out too... especially the high over the counter price of new ammo. I'm always keeping my eye open for some yard sale priced older soft point or hollow point.