How to kill wild blackberry bush?

I had a friend who had wild blackberries behind his house, I like blackberries so I pulled me up a root. Planted the thing in my backyard, watered it, cut around it all summer with the mower and it still looked like a stick at the end of the summer. Yanked it out the ground and tossed it into the bushes. Next spring thorny blackberry bushes everywhere. Made the birds happy, they got them before I did. 

I had a friend who had wild blackberries behind his house, I like blackberries so I pulled me up a root. Planted the thing in my backyard, watered it, cut around it all summer with the mower and it still looked like a stick at the end of the summer. Yanked it out the ground and tossed it into the bushes. Next spring thorny blackberry bushes everywhere. Made the birds happy, they got them before I did. 

Yeah I hear they are resilient. The other one I pulled up was where my garden is now. The thing had roots everywhere.

Vinegar, salt, and dawn dish soap will kill anything it touches. Google the mix but I think it is a gallon of vinegar, cup of salt and 6 tablespoons of dawn.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my wife is gonna stop by tractor supply on the way home to see if they have anything similar. It compares itself to Roundup Pro but I don't know if they will have that or not.

They got some wicked stuff at TSC.

Sterilizing the soil should take care of it. Catch any growth next spring, clip and spray again.

Just looking for the best spray to kill one of these. I removed one before with a walk behind bush hog but would rather not rent one again just for that. I see a couple different type sprays available but have no epxerience with any of them. Any ideas?

7ra5q.jpg

Just looking for the best spray to kill one of these. I removed one before with a walk behind bush hog but would rather not rent one again just for that. I see a couple different type sprays available but have no epxerience with any of them. Any ideas?

Killzall.

works like it says.  Takes two weeks.

I ended up going with the Roundup "poison ivy and thick brush". It specifically mentions wild blackberries so I figure it will work. It was all they had so we will see. I also discovered that I had a gallon of regular round up and some other stuff so I sprayed the driveway and other places I don't want to weed eat.

From what I read the triclopyr is the main ingredient that really does a number on woody brush any time of the year. I read that glyphosate will also kill them but not as thoroughly and works best around the fall. I guess it absorbs differently or something. I am sure the Crossbow stuff works better as it is mainly triclopyr and 2,4-d but I bet this will eventually kill it. May have to spray it again since it is so dense. Not sure if I got to the innermost vines.

• 3 weeks later...

Just be careful of how long to stuff will stay in the soil.  Some of those sprays will take decades to get out of your soil and tend to spread over time killing your entire yard.

Thanks

Robert

Just be careful of how long to stuff will stay in the soil. Some of those sprays will take decades to get out of your soil and tend to spread over time killing your entire yard.

Thanks
Robert

True. But glyphosate (Roundup) won't even kill for a summer when used by itself. Not grass at least. I'm about to make another application in a couple days. Maybe that will last until fall.

I think sunny areas tend to recover faster, as you would expect.