Hairline crack in stock

Djay3

Got a hairline crack in a stock. I want to use a glue and clamp to seal it before it expands. I had read about some agent that is watery enough to reach into such cracks but danged if I can recall the name. :confused:

Anybody know of a gluing agent that is thin enough to seep into hairline wood cracks?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks! Edited by Djay3

That's going to be pretty hard to get anything into.  Even a syringe with wood glue will most likey not penetrate deep enough to really fix the issue.  A slow drying cyanoacrylic may seep about as good as anything and would probably work as well as wood glue at this point.  I think both wood glue and epoxy will be too thick to be effective.

A trip to Woodcraft in Franklin may be worth it.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/149430/instant-bond-ca-adhesive-thin-2oz.aspx

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

Thanks for the insights guys!

I also found this product called "Hot Stuff Instant Glue" on Brownell's site ...

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/glue-adhesives/hot-stuff-instant-glue-prod13081.aspx

Yee'hah! Also listed as being carried by Woodcraft as mentioned by Hozzie!     :)

Edited by Djay3

Hot stuff is basically branded CA aka super glue. Nothing wrong with that and hot stuff is one of the few people who sell bottles big enough to appeal to the hobbyist. 

Can we get a pic? It would help to see the crack. Can it be spread by way of clamping the stock with something like a towel underneath the crack and applying another clamp on the other end? whichever way you go make sure and clean and dry the area well ahead of time. For a buck or two at most any craft store you can get a mini suction cup which is useful for pushing wood glue into thin cracks. Works like a plunger and really drives it in there.

• Like 1
After thinking about it more, I would go the wood glue route. I think you can force enough down in there. The benefit with wood glue is that you can easily wipe off the excess. With epoxy or CYA, you may blimish the exterior of the stock around the crack if you get any on it. Plus, that wood glue will still be plenty strong when it dries
  • Like 1

A friend in OK sent me his old walnut finger groove 10/22 stock that had fallen off the wall hooks.  Dented and cracked on both sides of the wrist through the receiver section.  After steaming and ironing 95+% of the dents out and sanding the hairs off caused by ironing I slightly pried the cracks apart.  You can do this one handed if you have some wooden dowels inserted into holes on your bench to slide the stock into and then using one hand pry the stock apart.  I would try this even if the crack is only on one side just to make sure it wasn't clear through. But if on one side maybe this will help get the crack opened up a little to let the glue run into it.

I thought at first the stock's crack was only on one side, but was on both.  I got some good wood glue and thinned it out with water.  Using a needle applicator I let the glue run down and into the cracks as far as I dared pry them apart. I wiped up any seeping glue with a damp cloth.  Wrapped the receiver in saran wrap and took cut strips of bicycle inner tube and tied that thing up and left it for a week.  How long is long enough for the glue?  I don't know but was not in a hurry.  Now I have sealed the stock and will begin the Tru Oil treatment today. 

IMG_20150920_083852_457_zps9v4spf26.jpg

IMG_20150920_083837_103_zpsi0df8qbz.jpg

• Like 1
I appreciate all of the suggestions!

I'll post a followup after I tackle the small hairline crack. The stock is a walnut M1A stock and the 3/8 inch split is between the top sling mount and a hole that Springfield drills into these stocks for whatever unknown reason. A common spot for this to occur I have learned.

I think I try the "Hot Stuff Instant Glue" - Supposed to be thin and watery and I'll try TrickyNicky's suction cup technique. I'll be sure to do my best to clean and dry the area before the application.

(Have successfully posted Google+ images on TGO in the past but no joy in this thread.)

Wow, graycrait nice work on that 10/22 stock! Beautiful grain! Edited by Djay3

FWIW, I'm not sure on using the suction cup with the hot stuff. The CA will have a fast flash point where it will start to harden quickly, maybe too quickly. Getting a suction cup stuck on the end wouldn't be much fun. I would also be concerned about the finish surrounding the crack. If you NEED the suction cup, I would recommend titebond wood glue for the operation. The cleanup will be easy and the bond should be sufficient. 

Here's Dan Erlewine Showing how to clean up the super glue in the event  you get a bubble or run. He's doing it as part of the repair process for a poly finish on a guitar, but the razor blade trick and sanding is good info. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24 

To post pics on the main page they need to be hosted somewhere like photobucket.com or the like. You can only host them here on the classifieds. Maybe via PM. If you want to try and PM the photos to me I will host them and post them here for you. 

• Like 1
Point well taken on the suction cup method, TrickyNicky. Thanks for posting that residue cleanup video.

I plan to take the stock off and apply from the inside of the stock. For a small hairline crack I might try using a syringe to apply while having the clamp already in place for quickly tightening down.

I picked up the CA gluing agent at Woodcraft yesterday. The lady who sold it to me said she almost glued her finger using this quick setting compound!

Post application update (9/24): The hairline crack has "disappeared" after applying the thin, watery CA (super glue agent) using a hobby shop syringe applicator. I used masking tape to limit run off onto the stock's surface. I left it clamped for two days.

Of course, the real outcome will be based upon it holding up at a range session wring out. Edited by Djay3