What kind of ammo do you use in your .642?

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

I found one with no lock yesterday, still haven't shot it yet

Debated over bersa thunder .380 or kel-tec .32...did I make a good choice?

We'll see.

Anyways I am looking for target ammo...NO +P.

I read .38 is different than .38 spl? So I can only use .38 spl?I am not sure! help! Bare with me,does more grain necessarily mean more recoil?

I want controlled recoil,and accuracy.I need something to use for cwp class that I can practice with now.

My husband bought these at the gunshow cuz they were cheap but a review says they're not good. What is the difference in 125 and 130? http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65466-5.html

I also do not want ammo that will turn my gun black.

Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

You should only shoot .38 Special out of your 642. That ammo looks fine. The one reviewer was just having a hissy fit because its FMJ for whatever reason. You made a good choice with the 642. .38 Special is much better than .380 Auto (what the Bersa and Kel-Tec shoots) for defensive purposes in my opinion.

Edited by bkelm18

The .38 Special (formally the .38 Smith & Wesson Special) is generally considered to be a somewhat more suitable defensive round than the .380. And, a substantially better SD round than the .32.

Both of the pistols you mentioned, Bersa and Kel-Tec, have good reputations, and are excellent backup or deep concealment guns. For a primary carry gun, however, I think you have done well with the 642.

For range/target ammuntion, go with Winchester White Box. It's what I keep on hand, and Walmart always has it. For carry ammunition, Speer Gold Dot and Hornady FPD are considered quality defensive loads.

Grains refer to the weight of the actual projectile (the bullet). It won't substantially affect the recoil in your snubnose revolver. And, in a true defensive encounter, recoil will be the LAST thing on your mind.

One more thing....make sure you don't try to shoot .357 Magnum ammunition in your gun.

I got your deposit check, and am looking forward to seeing you in class.:poop:

for practice i shoot the cheapest standard velocity stuff i can find...then end the session with one or two good cylinders of the +P stuff i carry in it everyday. i usually go to a heavier bullet in the winter (mainly due to the bad guys will most likely be wearing more clothes so need more penetration) and then switch back to the lighter bullet in the spring/summer/fall. but thats just me...probably not something that alot of people do...

i think you made an excellent choice on the 642, especially since you were lucky enough to get one without a lock. mine is lockless and i love it!!! i replaced the ugly rubber grips that came on mine with a set of the standard round butt magna wood grips from an older J frame and added a Tyler T-grip in front of it. feels the same as the rubber grip did now and slides right out of my pocket now since there is no rubber to hang onto clothing... i'll try to post a pic soon...

I use whatever is available in .38 special for practice. I have used WWB, reloads, etc. For the +P protection rounds, I tested a Speer Gold Dot and a Remington Golden Saber. Both were acceptable, but I think the RGS opened up a little more. Both would hurt and I would not want to get shot with either.

My wife and son will not shoot my 638 (similar to the 642) with the +P rounds. I have even put some slightly larger and spongier Hogue grips on it and it is still overpowering for them. The .38 special is manageable, and I find it to be very accurate.

One more thing to consider...Hornaday is supposed to be coming out with a new round in 2009 called "Critical Defense". The concept is that it expands reliably 100% of the time, and it is made for .380, 9mm, .38 Special, and .38 Special +P. When it comes out I plan to shoot one or two in water jugs to compare to the Remington and Speer. Just something to be on the lookout for. Good luck, B

Doc Rocket (a.k.a. Roberts) has done two or three boat loads of research on what does and doesn't work. For the snub 38's his three top choices are Safe Stoppers (no longer in production, Buffalo Bore 150gr standard pressure WC (wad cutter) is supposed to be the same thing and very spendy), standard WC, and 135gr +P Gold Dot short barrel.

Being the cheapskate I am, I reload WC's and carry what ever plated WC's I can find. I get the added benefit of top accuracy and next to zero recoil.

I currently carry Federal Hydra-shok in my 9mm and 642. Some of you have mentioned either "*** for short barrels", or "Wad cutters". Do the "for short barrels" have faster burning powered, or what makes them "special" for short barrels. Also, why WC? I thought the goal was to make a mess as with a hollow point bullet, not punch a hole. Thougths?

Guest bkelm18
I currently carry Federal Hydra-shok in my 9mm and 642. Some of you have mentioned either "*** for short barrels", or "Wad cutters". Do the "for short barrels" have faster burning powered, or what makes them "special" for short barrels. Also, why WC? I thought the goal was to make a mess as with a hollow point bullet, not punch a hole. Thougths?

JHPs with the "Short Barrel" designation have faster burning powders and specially constructed hollowpoints that are supposed to expand better at lower velocities.

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

I will never reload my own bullets.I can only foresee very bad things happening if I attempted to do so.

I am not familiar with all these letters and numbers, need a brand for example etc?

I will use +P for SD but for now all I want is ammo (not +P) that I can get comfortable with shooting my revolver(that I have never shot) before my CWP class which is in a little more than 2 weeks.

I heard WC is like cookie cutter on flesh?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-352

These?

Will these work too?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=63220

does anyone have a site like cheaperthandirt.com?

packinmama- I am looking into those low recoil bullets as well, Thanks so much for your help!

bigpoppa- I am glad it got to you safely,I will be looking forward to the info soon, thanks again!

Edited by TheBadLuckCharm
Guest bkelm18
I will never reload my own bullets.I can only foresee very bad things happening if I attempted to do so.

I am not familiar with all these letters and numbers, need a brand for example etc?

I will use +P for SD but for now all I want is ammo (not +P) that I can get comfortable with shooting my revolver(that I have never shot) before my CWP class which is in a little more than 2 weeks.

These?

Will these work too?

packinmama- I am looking into those low recoil bullets as well, Thanks so much for your help!

bigpoppa- I am glad it got to you safely,I will be looking forward to the info soon, thanks again!

I wouldn't use CheaperThanDirt. They price gouge and are in general not a very good company to deal with. For my online ammo purchases, I use http://georgia-arms.com/, http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/, and http://midwayusa.com/.

I will use +P for SD but for now all I want is ammo (not +P) that I can get comfortable with shooting my revolver(that I have never shot) before my CWP class which is in a little more than 2 weeks...

Probably not anything cheaper than Winchester "White Box" .38 special at WallyWorld. About $30 per 100. They will do nicely.

- OS

There is still a lot of debate with respect to the penetration vs. expansion to be had with sub 1000fps .38 specials. The Quinn folks at gunblast like the Glasier safety slugs.

If you frequent gunshows...for many MANY years Federal Nyclads were considered the best for snubnose .38 specials like the S&W cenntenial models. Reason being that the lead expanded more reliably than the fancy bullets due to the lower velocities and still penetrates acceptably.

I carry Hornady 125 gr JHP/XTP but I do my practicing with Winchester 130 gr FMJ (White Box) from Wally World. I find them accurate and conrollable. I used them in my 686 for my HCP qualification shoot (scored 100/100). Any of the ammo is going to turn your cylinder front black, just clean it off. I use Mothers Mag Wheel Cleaner (available at WW or Autozone) on the front of the cylinder and the marks come right off. Don't use it on frame though, any good cleaner will clean the carbon off the rest of the gun (CLP,Hoppes,etc)with a little brushing with a nylon toothbrush.

Ammo is dirty, ergo guns to some degree are always dirty. Live with it, it is the nature of the beast.

...for many MANY years Federal Nyclads were considered the best for snubnose .38 specials like the S&W cenntenial models.

I still carry 125 gr HP standard pressure Nyclads in my colt Agent. I understand they are getting hard to find in standard pressure. There was also a rumor at the SHOT Show that Federal is bringing them back into production for us lesser peons.

Here is a link to the Buffalo Bore rounds. You all might want to read it. Had some pretty interesting claims. Might be good stuff! :dunno:

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#standard38

I still carry 125 gr HP standard pressure Nyclads in my colt Agent. I understand they are getting hard to find in standard pressure. There was also a rumor at the SHOT Show that Federal is bringing them back into production for us lesser peons.

Thanks for passing that info on. That would be wonderful...However I have got 3 boxes in storage just in case they don't.

Debated over bersa thunder .380 or kel-tec .32...did I make a good choice?

You made a good choice on caliber; .380 and .32 are not good rounds for a primary carry weapon.

Anyways I am looking for target ammo...NO +P.

I read .38 is different than .38 spl? So I can only use .38 spl?I am not sure! help!

Your gun uses .38 Special.

Bare with me,does more grain necessarily mean more recoil?

If the bullet mass (weight in grains) decreases the recoil would decreases if the powder charge remained the same. However, many times the decreases in bullet mass allows for a greater powder charge which can increase felt recoil.

You have chosen one of the smallest and most popular revolvers made. However… the 642 is not only small; it is light. And that has far more impact on recoil. You are not the target market for that specific model S&W J-frame.

Controlling recoil on a .38 should not be a big problem. But if it is you may want to see if someone you know has that same revolver in a steel or stainless steel frame (like the Model 36 or 60) and see what you think of how they shoot.

I want controlled recoil,and accuracy.I need something to use for cwp class that I can practice with now.

.38 Special in Winchester White Box will probubaly be your best bet for ammo.

These?

Will these work too?

I have been carrying and shooting revolvers for over 30 years and I have yet to find anywhere online or off that has a better or lower cost .38 than the WWB at ChinaMart.

It is an excellent range or target round. It is not a good carry round.

The .38 was the predominant LEO round until the late 80’s; so there are many quality choices. Federal HydraShok is my own personal choice; they have been knocking down the bad guys for many years. You can get them at Bass Pro, or any gun store.

Edited by DaveTN
The Quinn folks at gunblast like the Glasier safety slugs.

I have been familiar with and used Glaser’s since they first came on the scene. They were designed for a specific application and they are very good at that. But if I had to pick the worst possible choice for a carry round; it would be the Glaser. I would be curious to hear anyone with knowledge of ballistics and this round to explain why anyone would want to carry this round. :clap: