Hex Mags vs PMAGS

I got one of these hex mags on accident because a guy was spraying some for me and ran out of pmags. I have a ton of pmags and drank the magpul kool aid.

However my 300 BLK SBR has a flared magwell and the Gen 3 pmags wont fit and the Gen 2s dont always work either. I popped one of the hex mags in and it fit like a glove.

Before i go out and buy crates of these things, does anyone have any experience with them? Do they hold up well to range abuse, keeping them loaded for long periods, cycling issues, etc?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

While mil-spec should make all mags equal, they are not; specially with 300Blk.  The only way to make sure is to try it out and see.  All I have are pmags, but that is because that is all I used in the military and all my aluminum mags were sold when their price went up.

• Like 1

The most reliable magazines for the 300 is Lancer. Magpul are the worst because they have side ribs as well as the front rib. They are probably the best for 5.56 but Pmags are the worst for 300 Blackout.

I really wish a magazine maker would make a 300 Blackout magazine like AK magazines without any internal ribs. I loaded some LONG 300 Blackout rounds into a 5.56 AK magazine and they worker PERFECTLY. I have contacted all the magazine makers I know of and so far none have realized the potential for this. If I knew someone in the biz I would probably figure out a way to fund it.

• Like 1
The problem I am having is I have a Seekins lower with a flared magwell so the gen 3 plastic lip in the back of the mag doesn't fit. I think i will just buy a Lancer and take a gen 2 pmag, a hex and the lancer and run them at the range. I just wanted to see if anybody had good/bad/indifferent experiences.

I like the idea of having a different brand for 300 than my 556 anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk