SKS work needed

While we're waiting on the OP's response, I will share something some of you may not know.  

I had a Yugo that REFUSED to cycle.  Turns out the head space was out of spec.  The Simonov rifle headspaces the rear bottom shoulder of the bolt against a square pin pressed into the receiver.  And that pin wears, headspace increases.  BUT, a square has four sides.  Drive the pin out, use a smooth stone to deburr it and reinsert 90 degrees from the way it came out.  Now you have a fresh shoulder to headspace on.

Maybe you already knew that?? :popcorn:

• Like 3

Pete, the SKS has to have [in my opinion] the most ridiculously complex trigger group of any milsurp out there.  I don't know anyone to refer you to, but it ABSOLUTELY worth the money to have a pro do it right.  

I took one apart years ago.  I sold it as a 'spare parts kit' on eBay and had to buy a new trigger group.  I screwed it up pretty bad.  

I need the spring that holds the magazine in. currently, it won't stay up.

Standard 10 rd mag or AK mags?

This appears to show how to replace the spring:

http://preparetosurviveincalifornia.blogspot.com/2011/08/installing-larger-magazine-release-on.html

And this appears to be the spring:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=SP19&name=SKS+Latch+Spring+%26+Sear+Spring&groupid=72

Re: trigger group

Be aware that removing the trigger group can be kind of a PITA.  The guys on youtube make it look really easy because not only have they done it 100 times, they've done it to that particular rifle 100 times.   Putting it back in can be even more of a PITA, especially when you forget how it goes in the time for the trigger to be reworked.  I used a variety of 4 letter words when reinstalling mine.  The improvement in the trigger was absolutely worth it. 

The 20rd mag is aftermarket. SKS's only came with the 10rd fixed mag.

I don't know a smith in that area. There's a few on here but I think they're closer to Nashville. Replacing that spring doesn't look real difficult, I feel sure any competent smith could do it. It might be as simple as bending the latch or tab a little so it has a little more engagement.
Detachable affair or the Chinese star fixed magazine? The Chinese Star fixed magazine was a pretty good set up. I've never had much love for any detachable magazine for the SKS.

I wonder if a little material could be removed from the inside edge of the latch to let it move forward a little more? That would give you some more engagement.
  • Like 1