Trusty Rusty

1b940120d26c57ea3a45660cb6907260.jpg

Here he is boys...in all his "not so mint" condition. My dad bought this in a package deal when a buddy's dad passed away over 20 years ago. He was going to pass but I picked up this Ruger 44 mag and fell in love (even with the paint speckles where someone was using a rattle can next to the gun, and the little rust spots, and the wear on the bottom of the stock, and the action that felt like there was sand in it, and the busted scope....the list goes on) It was my first "big kid" gun.

I killed my first deer, bobcat, coyote, fox, and armadillo with this gun. My dad (and the gun) showed me that shot placement was more important than having the biggest gun in camp.

Well, my dad and I are headed to Texas soon to do some hog hunting. He battled cancer the last 2 seasons so it has been the first time we have been able to hunt together in a while. So I busted out Rusty and put him in my range bag to check the zero. My dad was staring at me like a crazy person and said, "with all these guns in here why are you taking THAT?!?"

I told him if I get the chance to shoot my first trophy boar I wanted it with this gun. Hunting trips are more about the memories than the kill sometimes. Then to make sure it didnt get too emotional I whipped my cleaning towel at his crotch, finished my bourbon and locked up.

Just a friendly reminder as you take your kids in the woods this season, they are bringing back more than back straps. Make the time count.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
Update. Just got back. No hogs. Busted a bunch of quail and trashed an armadillo. I was not mentally prepared to party with the boys from south Texas. Our outfitter had more of a drinking camp that hunted. But a good time was had by all.

The son of one of the guys there got to shoot a 13 pointer with a drop tine so he was pumped. I passed on a 4 spiral black buck because I didnt want to eat the $2600 price tag tight before Christmas. (these guys had a ton of exotics...axis, buffalo, elk, fallow, blackbuck, trophy white tails, javalina, feral hog, orx, red stag...and a cougar running around that had a $10k price on its head)

But the food was killer (sweet bread wrapped in bacon, carne asada, chorizo and potatoes), the drinks were top shelf, the weather was perfect, the company was great and everyone came back without a bullet hole. We are counting it as a win...until next year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • Like 2