HK VP9 Torture Test

JohnC

• Administrator

There's a thread on M4Carbine about this.  People there are on both sides of the fence:  Panic or Meh.  Several things worth repeating here:

1.)  A quote from a guy about the conditions of the test and his concerns:

My take on this, while many pass this video off as extreme in nature and not the norm of day to day routines, the puddle at the very beginning that shut down the striker, is concerning. Secondly the dirt and grime, and I go to Copper Custom about once a week and see Tim (MAC) about once a month, so I am aware of the kind of dirt he is talking about. It's more sand than dirt as we are about 10-30 minutes (depending on where you live) south of Lake Michigan. I live about 10 minutes from it, and the back edge of my back yard is basically sand, with grass growing out of it. What concerns me though, is that on carry guns, how many times does lint get pushed in and out of the actions and all over the handgun? Lots if you EDC. 

I've also seen how easy it is to knock the VP9's slide out of battery, which can be worrisome if you're reholstering and you bump the muzzle end on the kydex or just the tension from the kydex throws it just an 1/8" out of battery. I love H&K, but this exposed some real flaws and would like to see more of these basic tests done. We don't have to start chopping trees down or steel poppers to see if the gun chokes.

2.) A video showing another sand/water test where it passed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5SMir0VKdo&feature=youtu.be

2.) A video showing another sand/water test where it passed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5SMir0VKdo&feature=youtu.be

Looked more like a simple water test than sand/water. He just splashed water over it. The sand would be settled on the bottom.

I'd like to see where the actual failure occurred. Is it the firing pin channel because of the cocked indicator or somewhere else? I could see the indicator causing issues. It still feels so good though.