Remm 870 AOW as an Accessory?

Ok, so I was googling some info on 870 AOWs earlier, and I saw a pretty cool one:

870lmbreecha.jpg

Notice the rail on top of the receiver? They explain it as this:

QUICK-DETACH PISTOL GRIP ASSY FOR RAPID DEPLOYMENT ON TO AN M16 RAIL MOUNT ACCESSORY WEAPON (MOUNTS UNDER M4 FOREARM) WITH ITS INTEGRAL PICATINNY SCOPE RAIL

So, as I understand it, an AOW can NEVER have a shoulder stock itself, however would it be legal to mount it to your picatinny rail equipped AR?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I'm guessing that it would as long as you get the stamp to purchase the shotgun. Any shotgun with a barrel shorter that 18" is considered a Class III firearm.

Yes but there is a difference in Class III/NFA shotguns. There's the AOW variety and the SBS variety. I believe the question is whether or not when you attach an AOW shotgun to an AR does it then become a SBS since it now kinda sorta technically has a stock. Beats me. Firearms law is a b*tch.

Edited by bkelm18
Arent those called a Master Key or something similar?

Same concept, but I think the "Master Key" is marketed through Knight's Armament... not positive though.

Yes but there is a difference in Class III/NFA shotguns. There's the AOW variety and the SBS variety. I believe the question is whether or not when you attach an AOW shotgun to an AR does it then become a SBS since it now kinda sorta technically has a stock. Beats me. Firearms law is a b*tch.

Yes sir, that's my question.

I wonder if this is one of those things left to be determined by the ATF, a "gray area"... of course when things are left to the ATF to determine, they usually determine them in the direction that provides income for their bureau and jail time...

Guest abailey362

IANAL, but my interpretation would be that since the lower on the M4 is considered the firearm by the atf, and the buttstock is an accessory to said receiver, that unless the AOW was stuck to the other side somehow, that it would not be attached to a stock, but technically attached to another weapon with a stock, which does not go outside of the definition of an AOW.

The only thing I can think of that would throw a wrench into that this theory is if there is anywhere where the definition of an AOW states "can't be fired from the shoulder" or something similar.

I'd call your local branch office and see if there is any documentation of a stance on this either way.

Guest Phantom6
Arent those called a Master Key or something similar?

Actually to be considered a "breecher" it needs to have an stand-off device with a sharpened scalloped edge attached to the muzzle. Typically these will also act as barrel porting as well, to reduce muzzle flip which is not really necessary with the SBS or AOW. I prefer the "bird's head" type grip to the standard vertical pistol grip on the AOW.

Actually to be considered a "breecher" it needs to have an stand-off device with a sharpened scalloped edge attached to the muzzle. Typically these will also act as barrel porting as well, to reduce muzzle flip which is not really necessary with the SBS or AOW. I prefer the "bird's head" type grip to the standard vertical pistol grip on the AOW.

I was back and forth between the birdshead grip and the pistol grip...so far im pretty happy with the pistol, though I thought the birds head might make for a easier to conceal profile....I have a "breecher" on my Saiga 12, but what really is the value in the sharpened edge Phantom? What is the actual purpose of the edges? To poke someone with or stick to the door or? Have always kinda wondered about that.

Guest Phantom6

The sharp edges are so you can jam it into the wood of the door to make the shot placement more exact as the muzzle won't slide away from the desired location. There are specific breeching rounds that should be used so as to keep lead or steel shot from flying throughout the room behind the door like shrapnel. Don't want to kill what you can't see cause it may just not need killin'. As far as poking somone with it, well there is that as well.

The sharp edges are so you can jam it into the wood of the door to make the shot placement more exact as the muzzle won't slide away from the desired location. There are specific breeching rounds that should be used so as to keep lead or steel shot from flying throughout the room behind the door like shrapnel. Don't want to kill what you can't see cause it may just not need killin'. As far as poking somone with it, well there is that as well.

Thanks for the info...now it makes sense to me :rolleyes:

The AOW would become a SBS as the stock of the rifle/rifle itself is the stock for the AOW. The new Remington 870 MCS the military uses has a rail on top like that for mounting optics or for connection to a handguard adapter from Knights Armament.

The AOW concept is that it never had a stock. Connecting it to a rifle would now make it have a stock and require registration/payment of the $200 tax and it would now be a SBS.

870mcs_AxxWpn.jpg

Edited by TNRobocop