Opinion on home safety situation

Guest Fenris

I have some possible storage scenarios for my home protection gun. I have a three year old who is a great kid, but is still a three year old.

The gun in question is a King Cobra .357 loaded with .38sp (might consider .357 HP, but that's a different thread :search:)

1. Gun unloaded in top drawer with bullets hidden close by in a more inaccessible place. This is the current storage option because it compromises child safety and accessibility. The draw is over the child's head.

2. Gun loaded on a high shelf in the closet. Wife is uncomfortable with this option.

3. Gun loaded in small locked fire safe with key in aforementioned drawer.

I do want a gun safe with push button locks, etc., but at this time, for financial reasons, that is not an option. Hopefully after the first of the year I can get one of the smaller ones.

I'd love to hear thoughts. I go back and forth between 1 & 3. Can I load the gun faster in the dark or can I find the key and unlock the box faster in the dark if something were to happen?

I know how creative kids can be. My daughter is a good kid and very obedient, but I am not willing to fool myself that a hidden gun is a safe gun.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed,the speed loader would be a must.

Maybe a dog would be a good Christmas gift for the kiddo.It could give you enough warning to clear your mind so you can load and clear your home.

I can give you a trigger lock if you want one.

That's an idea. How big is the gun? I have a small lock box.

Got no idea on the size od the king cobra but if it's close to the size of a med. automatic I have may have a small lock box that would work.

I would lean toward #1, but add that the ammo is in a speedloader.

Then it would be #3... just my 2 cents...

I'm with creeky. I would however highly suggest #3 when you are not home in case of a break in or other unforeseen event (wife's friends with kids stop by, etc.). It just seems like the prudent action to me. Kudos' for you as the responsible gun owner and protecting your family on many levels. :D Oh, and one last thing, take the wife to the range as often as you can. It is important that she respect the gun and be able to use it proficiently in the event you are not around or incapacitated. It should lessen her fear of it as well.

David, I do plan on taking her shooting, but it won't be with this gun. She's 5'0" and I'm afraid introducing her to handguns via the .357, even shooting .38sp might be a little much. I have a friend with a small .22 semiauto that I think I will borrow for a range trip.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Can anyone give me a general idea of what a speed loader in the Nashville area might cost?

Speedloaders are usually 10-20 dollars depending on a few factors. That being said I'd go with option 3. Gun loaded and in a safe. If you can get fast enough with a speedloader that'd be ok, but I suggest practicing at 3am.

Set your alarm, LOUD, wake up and immediately go for your gun and load it. If you can't do this in less that a few seconds after practice it is not a good option for self defense.

Speedloaders are usually 10-20 dollars depending on a few factors. That being said I'd go with option 3. Gun loaded and in a safe. If you can get fast enough with a speedloader that'd be ok, but I suggest practicing at 3am.

Set your alarm, LOUD, wake up and immediately go for your gun and load it. If you can't do this in less that a few seconds after practice it is not a good option for self defense.

That's a really sound suggestion.

Guest oldhack62

Frankly, I don't like any of your options if you feel a gun is appropriate for personal safety (and I've got no problem with that! I do, too!). Find someone to advance you the money for this:

http://www.gunsafes.com/EV400-Personal-Electronic-Pistol-Safe.html

and locate it somewhere that is effectively a short, tactical retreat from a door-busting BG.

I agree that #3 is the most safe regarding your child, but it's the least safe, to me, should you actually NEED the weapon.

Fenris, I keep my Ruger Security Six (.357 just like yours) locked in a safe under our bed during the day when I am not home. At night, I unlock it, and keep 2 speed loaders armed with .38 sp +p 125gr. I also keep 5 in the wheel, but I don't have a 3yr old roaming the halls here.

Basic idea is, my side of the bed is where the wall is, door is on other side of the bed. Wife and I have the bed between us and the bg (looks good on paper), and gun is right there. I have trid this in the dark, and it really isn't a prob. When you wake up in the middle of the night, your eyes are alredy adjusted to the dark. Get a security system on your doors too, that gives and extra call to the cops at 3am.

Get a "Safety Round", I believe thats what their called. The way it works is its a brass case with a primer in it. The bullet is replaced by a plastic slug. If you child or an unauthorized person pulls the trigger on your gun, it goes off, but with only enough force to push the plastic slug into the forcing cone/chamber and locks up the gun. All you have to do then is take the supplied rod and push the plastic slug out of the forcing cone/chamber and then work the action and remove it. If you need to use the gun for self defense, then you just work the action/rotate the cylinder to a live round and then go from there. They work better than a lock and allows you to keep your gun loaded and ready for action with just a simple working of the action to make it ready.

Guest specialagent

OK, I have read all the post and there are some good ideas. I have 3 children 14,12,7 all of them have been educated since birth on gun safety. All have grew up around guns. all shoot guns. All have own guns (even the youngest my daughter) I have been a cop my whole life and my wife was also a cop. Granted your 3 year old is a little young to grasp the gun safety idea but, You need to start educating NOW ! my point a gun is always loaded period! otherwise you might as well have a brick. You don't have time to fumble in the dark to attempt to load a gun, especially if you haven't trained to do so. So my suggestion to you is to load the gun and find a lock box to put it in until your daughter is old enough to respect it. As for the comment about taking your wife to the range, THis is a must do. You and her need to train to shoot and reload and train some more. When your daughter is a little older you need to train her also. I have guns throught my house and all members of my family each have their own and have trained to use them, so I don't have to worry about them bothering mine. My main point is education, education, education, Training ,Training, Training!

I hope you resolve your problem

First of all, thanks for the suggestions.

Specialagent, we have already started the eduction by means of those little toy dart guns. She loves to shoot them, and we've already had some lessons on what not to point at. She hasn't messed up yet, but when she does, we'll stop right then and try again another day.

I am totally for gun education. It won't be too much longer before she will be behind me while I shoot my .22 to let her hear a small gun.

As for the wife, well I got some unexpected help from the father-in-law. She was talking to him on the phone:

"So, Steve wants me to learn to shoot a gun."

"I think that's a great idea!"

*pause*

"No, he wants me to carry one around in my *purse*."

"I think you should. You need to know how to defend yourself. Especially now that you have children."

*longer pause*

You know that look of reluctance when your loved ones tell you about something in a way that lets you know you were right, but they don't want to say it? Yeah, I think a trip to the range is forthcoming.

Guest Astra900

Everyone is free to raise their children however they see fit; but I can never remember a time as a child when I wasn't afraid to touch a gun that wasn't mine. The fear of a belt starts about the same time walking does. It's funny how things change. I think most of the older generation on this board will agree, there was never a real problem with guns and kids years ago. I got my first gun when I was 7. I kept in my room. AND I STILL didn't touch it without permission. WHAT has changed? Where along time's line did things change?

I know your wee one is only three, but I know we never had a problem, my father never locked up anything. neither did anyone else I grew up with. It was never a problem. Kids just don't act the same as they used to. It's not all the parents fault i guess. Thanks alot hollywood, hippies and the rest of the village it takes to raise a nut. I see kids come into our business all the time acting CRAZY! I can't say anything but if I could I'd tell them "If you'd take off your belt and wear that little a22 out, they'd quit that crap!"

BTW, I'm NOT suggesting your little one wasn't raised or disciplined properly:D It's just children in general. The country as a whole (adults too) needs their little undies pulled down and a few strap marks strategically placed across the cheeks of their butt!

As far as your problem, you could buy a speedloader and leave it next to the gun.

We do not shy away from corporal punishment, Astra, and I believe my daughter would obey and not touch something she's not supposed to. She has done this in other areas--bathroom heater, stove, etc.

And I agree with you about the way we were raised. My dad's form of gun control :"You see that gun? You touch it I'll whup you." and for me, it worked. For my brother, not so much. I think the nature of the child has something to do with it, but I agree with you that this is more of a problem today than in earlier times.

While I trust my daughter to obey in many things, there are some things I am not willing to trust her on yet. Some of those things are traffic, guns, dogs, etc. The penalty if I am wrong is more than a burned finger or a broken knick-knack.

I am educating and continuing to educate my child on gun safety. I know the worst thing I can do is make guns mysterious and forbidden. Right now it's proper handling with toy guns.