Opinion on home safety situation

Guest Fenris

Guest Astra900

That's good, and I wasn't questioning your abilities as a father. THe kid is THREE:D This post just made me remember how things were in my house as a kid, and what I see today just baffles me.

One good thing, you keep up the work you are doing now, and you won't have but just a year or two and you won't have this problem any longer:up: Things like that make me question our NOT having a kid. I could teach it SO much, but to have to teach it as well as deprogram it when it gets home from school:rolleyes: Kings to you and all other parents here who are trying to do things the RIGHT way.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't take it as a questioning of my abilities as a father at all.

No worries.

I think one thing has changed is me moving from a more rural to a more urban setting. We have friends that probably would not come over to visit if I had a gun rack on the wall with guns the way my dad kept his.

It is a balancing act. Yes, I know it's my house, but I also want to be a good host. I am much more likely to convert an anti if I am willing to lock my guns away and talk to them about it than to take a "my way or the highway" stance, but that's just my world.

I know this was asked in the "handgun" section, but it still seems like a pump shotgun without a shell chambered is a better solution.

Personally - I think locked or unloaded guns are nothing more dangerous than my shoe, or a baseball bat :)

David, I do plan on taking her shooting, but it won't be with this gun. She's 5'0" and I'm afraid introducing her to handguns via the .357, even shooting .38sp might be a little much. I have a friend with a small .22 semiauto that I think I will borrow for a range trip.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Can anyone give me a general idea of what a speed loader in the Nashville area might cost?

1) a persons size has zero to do with gun X being too much. Start EVERYONE with a 22lr.

2) it is possible to start people with a med/large frame 357 using 38spl wadcutter target loads in the 130-150gr range. Start her dry firing in the house, keep the targets close, and have her shoot off a rest for the first box or so.

3) If you can't find a speedloader for under $12 shoot me a PM. I could have my arm twisted to give up one of my HKS 10-A's.

4) Get your HCP and keep your gun on you until bed time.

As for now, mount a cheap holster (Uncle Mikes/Fobus) behind your bed headboard, mount the speed loader in a cheap pouch to your night stand against the wall. Load it when you are going to bed; unload it and lock your speed loader/revolver in your keyed safe while you and the wife are away.

Guest specialagent
First of all, thanks for the suggestions.

Specialagent, we have already started the eduction by means of those little toy dart guns. She loves to shoot them, and we've already had some lessons on what not to point at. She hasn't messed up yet, but when she does, we'll stop right then and try again another day.

I am totally for gun education. It won't be too much longer before she will be behind me while I shoot my .22 to let her hear a small gun.

As for the wife, well I got some unexpected help from the father-in-law. She was talking to him on the phone:

"So, Steve wants me to learn to shoot a gun."

"I think that's a great idea!"

*pause*

"No, he wants me to carry one around in my *purse*."

"I think you should. You need to know how to defend yourself. Especially now that you have children."

*longer pause*

You know that look of reluctance when your loved ones tell you about something in a way that lets you know you were right, but they don't want to say it? Yeah, I think a trip to the range is forthcoming.

Good on the ed part, as for the purse? Well,

I teach a women's survival class here and I reccomend to all of my female students to not even carry a purse. The problem with women and purses is that they put their whole life history in there along with their gun, knife, wallet, cellphone, credit cards, ss cards, birth certs, high school ID's, lipstick, cameras, coupons, hair brush, mirrors, Handgun permits, car titles ,house keys, maps to home, etc. etc.

By no means am I slamming women and their carry habits here but My point is, if I take your purse I've got it all. So I recomend that they carry just like a man with a side or shoulder holster. Just a little to think about. Please I am not trying to offend anyone, just being practical.

Good on the ed part, as for the purse? Well,

I teach a women's survival class here and I reccomend to all of my female students to not even carry a purse. The problem with women and purses is that they put their whole life history in there along with their gun, knife, wallet, cellphone, credit cards, ss cards, birth certs, high school ID's, lipstick, cameras, coupons, hair brush, mirrors, Handgun permits, car titles ,house keys, maps to home, etc. etc.

By no means am I slamming women and their carry habits here but My point is, if I take your purse I've got it all. So I recomend that they carry just like a man with a side or shoulder holster. Just a little to think about. Please I am not trying to offend anyone, just being practical.

I've been yelling that for years lol.

Here is how I saw it when I had kids in the house.

In the event of a home invasion you will have seconds to get a loaded gun in your hands; therefore unloaded is not an option. A loaded weapon should be stored where small children can’t physically get to it but you have fast access to it. As the kids get older they should be educated about firearms, when you are not in the home and they are; the weapons should be unloaded and locked up.

You need a plan that keeps you armed, keeps small kids from accidentally getting their hands on a gun, and keeps older kids from intentionally getting their hands on a gun.

I have a four year old and although I am pretty comfortable she won't touch my gun I still take precautions. I have tried the closet or refrigerator and that was okay until she discovered the magic chair that allows here to reach anywhere. For a while I kept it, a 1911 which is not my carry gun, in the nightstand in condition 3. Although there was never really a problem my wife was uncomfortable with it. Then one day I had taken the gun to the with me she opened the draw and said “Mommy! Daddy's gun is missing” this really upset her and so now I am keeping them in a safe in the closet. However, I am going to start putting my carry gun in the nightstand when I get home and if I have to leave it at the house for some reason I will stick it in the safe before I leave.

By the way, I know it is a woman's site, I mean it is pink for God's sake, but http://www.corneredcat.com/ has some good info about kids and guns.

Thanks for the link. Amid the high prices at the gun show, I did manage to pick up a speed loader for $10. Now before I go to bed I put the speed loader in the cylinders and leave the gun in the top drawer. I have practiced and it is an easy reach, twist, snap to have a loaded gun.

In the morning I remove the speed loader and put it back in its place before I leave.

Works OK for now until I can get a bedside safe.

for not a lot of money, look in to one of these:

https://www.honeywellsafes.com/steel-cash-security-boxes/3035d-digital-security-box_p.aspx

i found them at a local wallymart for around $25 or so and bought a couple...

easy access to my loaded weapon at night or when i'm home, yet extra piece of mind (especially for my wife) with my kids in the house (ages 4, 7, 9).

while not 100% break-in/kid proof if they were home alone (they're adventurous, i take the slides off my pistols and put a lock through them when the guns and kids will be home for extended periods, and i won't...), we feel better, and i can get to it fast if needed.

Guest gunnutt
I agree this is an eventual solution, but it is not an immediate solution.

or option 4 get a gun belt and holster and hang from a nail high in the closet,john

When I was a kid, my parents room was just off limits.

My dad kept his pistol in his underwear/sock drawer of his chest-o-drawers (top drawer).

The same rule applies for my kids and my pistol.

Besides, who wants to be fiddling around with something that's been stored in your dad's underwear drawer?:hat:

Guest janwbrown616

What I like and has always worked well, (I"ve had three kids in the past.) I'd load the weapon and then put a small pistol rack of some sort. ( Even a nail to hang the gun from the trigger guard.) or heck, dress it anyway you like. Above the closet door on the inside. Hardly anyone ever looks up there. I"ve got a nice 1187 set up this way right now. Kids would need a ladder if they ever noticed it. You could just open the door and reach up inside the closet and lordy help the BG coming in the house....

Edited by janwbrown616
Guest eyebedam

Anytime. I wouldnt use it for long term purposes but it will def work for awhile esp if money is tight for the holidays. It will serve its purpose of keeping it locked up from the kiddos.