IDPA 9mm ammo?

Guest CK1

hey guys, thinking of shooting some of the local IDPA events for the first time and the ammo rules have me a little confused... any recommendations on economical choices to use in 9mm? do i need to shoot up a bunch of expensive scary +p stuff, or will thrifty white box jhp do the trick and be legal? how many rounds do i need to show up with for an event?

Edited by CK1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome. thanks. if anyone wants to buy me 100 rounds of hydrashok or tap i'll gladly use it, but for the sake of my marriage, i'll stick to wwb, monarch, or blazer brass when it's just for fun...

Guest abailey362
I reccomend shooting the cheapest ammo you can find that will RELIABLY run in your gun.

I like 115gr Blazer...YMMV

i like blazer brass or WWB.....cheap is your friend. Just make sure it's not smoky, dirty stuff. I shot a match with some dirty reloaded stuff and the smoke cloud made my sight picture hard to see

FMJ has nothing to do with it. HPs, FMJs, and lead bullets all flatten/splatter when they hit steel targets. I've been hit by fragments several times, but always from an adjacent bay (at a 90 degree angle from a steel target). We keep them 10 yards away, and as long as they are not pitted, there is practically no risk to the shooter.

We changed all our poppers to forward-falling. Rear-falling poppers do pose a ricochet risk--people get excited and double tap them, and the second bullet hits the falling target at an angle and sometimes glances off.

The cowboy shooters shoot at us on the other side of the berm (although there is 20' of earth between us) and we occasionally hear ricochets coming off their falling-steel targets.

Edited by deerslayer
  • 2 weeks later...

115gr plinking ammo from Walmart will work fine.

...Until you start loading your own bunnyfart loads. :D

(You're worried about it being too soft, when really it's much hotter than the minimum specified by the rules. Gamers such as myself load some poof-poof ammo that's much more fun to shoot fast.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic