Muzzle device suggestions

ballz71

I'm looking for input on some good Compensator. Does anyone have experience or input on certain types and model also would like to find one that is budget friendy. I'm looking for a 30 cal comp for 300 blackout also looking for something to fit 223. want something that will minimize muzzle blast and reduce recoil for follow up shots. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Edited by ballz71

There's several basic categories, depends on what you want the device to do.

For instance, when I built an AR pistol, the last thing I wanted was more noise and blast near my face, so I chose a linear compensator. It directs some noise and a lot of muzzle blast downrange.

For my basic playing around AR the standard birdcage flash hider was fine with me.

If I were putting together a 3-gun rifle, I'd get a really good muzzle break that would help with recoil.

That's just my input, I'm somebody will come along and suggest something specific.

• Like 1

For .223:

BCM Comp is actually a good compromise.  It does a decent job of controlling muzzle rise and recoil, while minimizing blast and flame.  

It is not a Surefire or PWS FSC556.  Both of those will be loud, but will work great for recoil and muzzle rise.

For budget considerations, the miculek comp should be right in there. Loud as all getout, ... but made to shoot 3 gun, and it excels in that role.

-I have no experience with .30cal brakes/comps.

I put a Seekins ATC on my TGO-15's. They're available in a variety of finishes and sizes. Recoil and muzzle rise are extremely well controlled by this comp. However, your immediate neighbors at the range get blasted by both noise and high winds. You'll need a drop of blue loktite to keep it held on there. The instructions say otherwise, but they're mistaken.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Seekins_Precision_Muzzle_Brake_p/skn-%20sp-ar-atc-12-ss.htm

Pictures as mounted: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/92873-finally-assembled-my-tgo-15s/

First thing I would start off with is an adjustable gas block. I can almost guarantee that your 5.56 AR is over gassed which is why recoil is as bad as it is. I have a 5 pound AR that recoils less than most 8 or 9 pound ARs. The reason is it is perfectly gassed.

Same goes for your 300 Blackout if you shoot supersonic ammunition out of a gun that can cycle subsonic rounds. So if your gun runs fine with subsonic ammunition you must have an adjustable gas block for shooting supersonic ammunition or with a silencer.

This is the biggest source of an AR's felt recoil.

But not only does it reduce felt recoil and make follow up shots quicker it also makes the gun more reliable. That is because the gun unlocks a little later resulting in less crud in the receiver and a cleaner gun. And because you can adjust it you can get rid of most of the blow back when shooting with a silencer. So no more crud in the shooter's face when shooting with a silencer. And with a tunable gas system you do not need heavy buffers so you can reduce weight as well.

And as far as muzzle devices I like the Miculek brake. It is cheap and works very, very well. It is louder for the shooter and those around him/her but they do work.

• Like 1

Best comp I've used has been a PWS FSC556. Maybe on the expensive side and only compatible with the Gemtech Halo, but really keeps the muzzle steady while still keeping flash low. My rifle is significantly louder than anything else on the firing line, but follow up shots are a breeze. Oh, and anyone to your left and right will get pounded by the concussion, but that's what makes shooting with others fun! Like Dolomite said, your gas system and other components have a lot to do with recoil management. I don't have an adjustable gas block, but I run a mid-length gas system with a Spike's buffer and notice considerably less recoil than a carbine length system. The gas system, comp, buffer, and overall weight of the gun will all influence the behavior of the rifle.