Good Point

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen this in several places, mostly FB, and other forums. But it's an interesting analogy. And of course my wife, the John Wayne fan(atic), told me about it as well. Then asked me if ole John actually said it. lol

I think buy back programs are fairly new, I could be wrong on that but not a political issue like it is now. Probably too new for John Wayne to have said it.

Edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_buyback_program

United States[edit]
What is believed to have been the first gun buyback program was in Baltimore in 1974. Gun homicides and assaults actually rose during the two-month program, and it was deemed a failure, though no reason for the crime rate increase was given.[7] Similar programs followed in other cities, including some cities that repeated their programs. However, no evaluation of such programs were published until 1994, after three researchers analyzed a 1992 buyback in Seattle, Washington. The study found that the "effect on decreasing violent crime and reducing firearm mortality is unknown."[8]

Wayne in 1965
Born Marion Robert Morrison
May 26, 1907
Winterset, Iowa, U.S.
Died June 11, 1979 (aged 72)
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Edited by K191145

They have buy backs every now and then in Memphis.  They give people gas or groceries for each handgun turned in.  So I am pretty sure the thugs just go out and steal other people's guns and turn them in and get free gas and groceries.   Believe it or not, it has not helped crime there at all.  I just wonder who comes up with these idiotic ideas.  

They have buy backs every now and then in Memphis.  They give people gas or groceries for each handgun turned in.  So I am pretty sure the thugs just go out and steal other people's guns and turn them in and get free gas and groceries.   Believe it or not, it has not helped crime there at all.  I just wonder who comes up with these idiotic ideas.  

Buybacks do nothing.  The 3 group of people who go to buybacks are 1) People with junk  to unload.  I did that I got $150 for a gun I doubt I could have gotten $50 bucks from an FFL.  2) People who inherited or were given a gun and have no idea how to use it or what is actual value is so they figure they would get a few bucks for it.  3) People who used a gun in a crime and is looking for a way to unload the gun that can't be traced to them.

The first is a waste of money.  The second is a shame and the third means someone is more likely to get away with a crime.  None of the 3 really befits the greater good.

Buybacks do nothing. The 3 group of people who go to buybacks are 1) People with junk to unload. I did that I got $150 for a gun I doubt I could have gotten $50 bucks from an FFL. 2) People who inherited or were given a gun and have no idea how to use it or what is actual value is so they figure they would get a few bucks for it. 3) People who used a gun in a crime and is looking for a way to unload the gun that can't be traced to them.

The first is a waste of money. The second is a shame and the third means someone is more likely to get away with a crime. None of the 3 really befits the greater good.

4) The guys who make zip guns for the sole purpose of getting free stuff.

Buybacks do nothing.  The 3 group of people who go to buybacks are 1) People with junk  to unload.  I did that I got $150 for a gun I doubt I could have gotten $50 bucks from an FFL.  2) People who inherited or were given a gun and have no idea how to use it or what is actual value is so they figure they would get a few bucks for it.  3) People who used a gun in a crime and is looking for a way to unload the gun that can't be traced to them.

The first is a waste of money.  The second is a shame and the third means someone is more likely to get away with a crime.  None of the 3 really befits the greater good.

4) The guys who make zip guns for the sole purpose of getting free stuff.

I would put that under #1 People with junk to unload.

Thanks

Robert

I would put that under #1 People with junk to unload.

Thanks

Robert

Hey, some of m...those zip guns are quite the piece of art :devil: jk, I doubt any of the zip guns someone takes a lot of work to produce end up at one of these sales.

Edited by Omega

I've been to two in memphis. First time I bought an RG-22 from a co-worker for $10. Gun was a POS. Wouldn't fire half the time and couldn't hit when it did. I got it for the sole purpose of turning it in. Got a $25 gas and a $50 grocery gift certificates for it. Nice profit for me.  :up:

Second time the buy back was at the old fairgrounds. Just so happened that there was a gun show in another building right across the parking lot. I went to the gun show and the place was really busy,  huge crowd. Just out of curiosity I checked out the buy back. That place was a ghost town. Nobody there but the staff. IIRC they took in about 20 guns that day and all were total junkers. 

Both times I took extra money with the intent to check out what folks in line were turning in and offer cash for anything worth having. Didn't see a single gun worth making an offer on.  :shrug:

Both of these buy backs were back in the early 1990s. Nobody has been stupid enough to try it again since.  :screwy: