9mm loading issue?

Hello,

I've reloaded about 1k 9mm successfully on my Lee 1000 press. However, I've run into am issue.

Switched to a different bag of cleaned cases (from a different range trip, etc.). Some of these cases I'm having to really lean hard into the press... 2-3x as hard as the cases I've reloaded before. So of course I stopped to figure this out. Is there a source that lists the expected case outer diameter after firing but before resizing? I'm not using case lube since these are straight wall pistol cases on carbide dies.

Thanks for any thoughts from your experience.

Thanks

My 9mm are somewhat harder to push into the resizing die because of the tapered case.  I add a bit of NuFinish car polish to the cleaning media which helps, but often I have to put a light lube on the cases to make it easier.  No big deal.

With 9mm there is a slight taper, but even so I never heard any issues with thickness or too much expansion with any brass cases.  Check your die for buildup, then lube the cases a bit if needed afterward.

Thanks for the info and tips guys, I'm checking things thoroughly.

On a side note - anyone ever run into a berdan primed 9mm? I found one of those in my brase tonight too.

Thanks for the info and tips guys, I'm checking things thoroughly.

On a side note - anyone ever run into a berdan primed 9mm? I found one of those in my brase tonight too.

Yep, that can happen.  Its thankfully usually the steel that makes it here, the brass berdan is rare.

Um ... steel cases ... you do remove those ... right?  Those could be tough to resize too :)   A good magnet is the usual method.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Yes...I use range pickup brass and occasionally run across Berdan primed cases...kind sucks doesn't it? :wall:

I load between 12-14 K of 9mm each year and always lube my brass.

It just makes the process easier and smoother. It doesn't take much, but it definitely makes the process run better imho.

I us Frankford Arsenal lube, but many here make their own lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/204960/frankford-arsenal-case-lube-8-oz-pump

Yep, that can happen. Its thankfully usually the steel that makes it here, the brass berdan is rare.
Um ... steel cases ... you do remove those ... right? Those could be tough to resize too :) A good magnet is the usual method.

Didn't use a magnet but I don't put anything steel into the case feeder, if one sneaks that far into the process.

Yes...I use range pickup brass and occasionally run across Berdan primed cases...kind sucks doesn't it? :wall:

I load between 12-14 K of 9mm each year and always lube my brass.

It just makes the process easier and smoother. It doesn't take much, but it definitely makes the process run better imho.

I us Frankford Arsenal lube, but many here make their own lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/204960/frankford-arsenal-case-lube-8-oz-pump

Thanks I'll give it a try. I've got some case lube on hand. How do you clean it off after most efficiently, tumble briefly?

Thanks I'll give it a try. I've got some case lube on hand. How do you clean it off after most efficiently, tumble briefly?

You shouldn't need to clean it off.   You lube only the outside of the case and by the time its been through a sizer die, a powder die, a seating die, and a crimping die the lube is pretty much gone.  The traces that remain are probably beneficial to mag operation and feeding.  Lube should be "barely there" to being with before it goes into the first die. 

I use hornady's lube which is really just lanolin and something ... microwave it for a few sec and touch the lube with my finger and roll the case over that is sufficient.   You can't even see it on the case.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1