Help me choose one!

Smith

Which one?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Walther P99 9mm QA
    • S&W M&P 9mm
    • Ruger SR-9 blackened slide

Since selling off most of my guns, I was left without a carry gun. I'm back in the game and need help choosing. Price difference aside what would you choose? Please just out of these three.

1. Walther P99 9mm QA

WAP77013_thumb.jpg

2. S&W M&P 9mm

209000_thumb.jpg

3. Ruger SR-9 blackened slide

352T.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i've owned all of your choices (also G17 and G19), the SR9 might be the best 9mm available imo, it's kind of like a glock on the inside, 1911 on the outside... don't let the recall issues scare you away, they only made it better.

IMG_0163.jpg

Just what I have heard and read, I would go with the S&W. I have not shot any but held them all. I like how the S&W felt and have heard only good things from them (except the premature mag releasing issue with some of the first ones out)

Edited by db99wj
Guest TnDeerHunter

Ruger SR9 is hard to beat for the money. I agree they only made it better after the recall. Go to your local gun shop and see which one feels the best in your hand that in itself might influence your decision. All are fine pieces you really can't go wrong.

Ruger SR9 is hard to beat for the money. I agree they only made it better after the recall. Go to your local gun shop and see which one feels the best in your hand that in itself might influence your decision. All are fine pieces you really can't go wrong.

I've held them all and previously owned the Walther, wish i had never sold that thing:(. The drawback to the Walther is magazine price, $54! The M&P I'm just not partial to the looks. The Ruger is just too new and I get mixed opinions.

Glad to hear your back in it! Since I havent shot any of them just going on looks and word of mouth I lean towards the Walther. Any particular reason your going on just these 3?

I just am partial them. I've had a a lot of others from Kel-tec to Sig and I keep coming back to these. I was just never comfortable with the G19, the HP was awesome but heavy for carry and a little to nice to carry everyday. The Sig is just blocky and I don't like DA/SA, the FNP9 was very nice and accurate but again DA/SA, The PF9 was great but not something I could have fun at the range with. The XD9 (have had two at different times) was awesome but a little big and heavy compared to comprable guns. H&Ks are just too snooty and blocky for me

Basically I want a light, thin fullsize SA 9mm. I know about Khars but I don't want to supprt the Moonies.;)

Guest 153blue

i'd get the sr9. like others said get a revised one.. or maybe get one that isnt and tell them it has to be sent in for recall so u can get it cheaper? hehe

Guest Rugerman

Ruger semi-auto centerfire triggers= ;)

That's just my opinion. I think that's where the money difference is between Ruger and more expensive guns in the semi-auto centerfire market. Trigger pull.

Gun had too many hiccups for me and a horrible trigger pull. I gave it a 500 rd break-in period and multiple attempts by Ruger to make it right before I pulled the plug. Everyone who I let shoot it had the same thing to say:

"Its, errr....different"

:)

Now, it is a beautiful gun, for being plastic and all, and a wonderful size for being a 17rounder. Both are positives.

PS. I've fired a post-recaller as well and didn't like that trigger either.

PSS. I don't like having to remove a safety to get a gun to dry-fire without beating itself up without a mag in. If you shoot IDPA, you have to remove a safety to do so.

Edited by Rugerman
Guest eyebedam

Nate Im gonna say go with the M&P. Ive had a p99 & I have a M&P 9 now. To me the M&P is a better shooter & has less recoil. The Walther looks cooler if that matters but the M&P feels better when your shooting it.

Well, I decided. I'm going with the P99. The one I had before was the best handgun I have ever had and I think I would regret not getting it this time. The M&P is a very close second, but this is one of those rare times I can actually 1. find a P99 QA 9mm (just search no one has any) and 2. The price tag isn't a deal breaker. Under normal circumstances I would probably have gone with the S&W for price reasons. But all things being equal P99! Pictures to follow later this evening! Thanks guys.

Ruger semi-auto centerfire triggers= ;)

That's just my opinion. I think that's where the money difference is between Ruger and more expensive guns in the semi-auto centerfire market. Trigger pull.

Gun had too many hiccups for me and a horrible trigger pull. I gave it a 500 rd break-in period and multiple attempts by Ruger to make it right before I pulled the plug. Everyone who I let shoot it had the same thing to say:

"Its, errr....different"

:)

Now, it is a beautiful gun, for being plastic and all, and a wonderful size for being a 17rounder. Both are positives.

PS. I've fired a post-recaller as well and didn't like that trigger either.

PSS. I don't like having to remove a safety to get a gun to dry-fire without beating itself up without a mag in. If you shoot IDPA, you have to remove a safety to do so.

you might have gotten a bad apple... i've had 2 SR9's and the triggers have both been excellent for the "safe action type", maybe a bit heavier than an M&P or a Glock (the SR9 trigger is around 6.5-7lbs - closer to a "new york" glock trigger), but much better reset, and a consistant pull with a clean break.

it is true that dry-firing w/ the mag out will mess up the striker and trigger action, so i don't do it. i don't mind the mag safety, and have never dry fired them w/o a mag in so as the round count has gone up the trigger has only gotten better.

i'm going to start shooting IDPA w/ it, and from what i've read the SO won't/shouldn't force you to dry-fire it without a mag unless he's a tool, or in some cases a glock-nazi.

if you handle the three pistols side by side, fully loaded w/ a full mag the superior balence, grip, and ergos of the SR9 become immediatly obvious.

the M&P will have the best trigger of the 3 (at the expense of some safety imo), and is an excellent gun, but something else to consider is that both the walther and the m&p are much thicker and have no manual safety, so IWB w/ a round in the chamber becomes a trickier proposition for some.

just my opinion, but i've spent lots of time with all 3 guns.

i sold my first SR9 after putting 4000+ rounds through it in just over 2 months with zero issues, and have put 1000+ through my newer black one with the same results.

Well, I decided. I'm going with the P99. The one I had before was the best handgun I have ever had and I think I would regret not getting it this time. The M&P is a very close second, but this is one of those rare times I can actually 1. find a P99 QA 9mm (just search no one has any) and 2. The price tag isn't a deal breaker. Under normal circumstances I would probably have gone with the S&W for price reasons. But all things being equal P99! Pictures to follow later this evening! Thanks guys.

well Dang! Wouldn't you know it. I go to pick up the Walther P99 QA and turns out he received an AS and a QA compact! Man was I disappointed. Needless to say i went with the M&P and I fell pretty good about it.