Tennessee: Pro-Gun Legislation Becomes Law

Ron_TN

Important pro-gun legislation was signed into law:

House Bill 1644 and Senate Bill 1559, sponsored by state Representative Tilman Goins (R-10) and state Senator Mike Bell (R-9) respectively, would require the chief administrative officer of a private school to implement a handgun carry policy.

House Bill 2131 and Senate Bill 1991, sponsored by state Representative Courtney Rogers (R-45) and State Senator Brian Kelsey (R-31), would prohibit public postsecondary institutions from taking any adverse action against an employee or student as a result of such person's lawful transportation and storage of a firearm or ammunition in the person's vehicle.

House Bill 2575 and Senate Bill 2566, sponsored by state Representative Gerald McCormick (R-26) and state Senator Mark Norris (R-32) respectively, would extend permit renewals to occur every eight years and would also lower handgun permit fees.

Thank you to NRA members and Second Amendment supporters who contacted their legislators in support of these important pro-gun bills.  Special thanks to the bill sponsors as well as those legislators who supported this legislation throughout the process.

As previously reported, House Bill 1736 is still progressing through the legislature and could receive a floor vote soon.  Members are encouraged to stay-tuned to their inboxes and www.NRAILA.org for more information as the legislation advances.

House Bill 1736 and Senate Bill 2376, sponsored by state Representative Andy Holt (R-76) and state Senator Mike Bell (R-9) respectively, would permit full-time employees of state public colleges or universities to carry a handgun while on property owned, operated, or used by the employing college or university if the employee has a valid Tennessee handgun carry permit.

House Bill 2575 and Senate Bill 2566, sponsored by state Representative Gerald McCormick (R-26) and state Senator Mark Norris (R-32) respectively, would extend permit renewals to occur every eight years and would also lower handgun permit fees.

I hate this bill and I wish it would have failed.  

• Like 1

I hate this bill and I wish it would have failed.  

What do you not like about it?  It is my understanding that they still run your required 5 year background checks to keep reciprocity, and lower fees are due to the fact that they had surplus (charged too much) funding. 

What do you not like about it?  It is my understanding that they still run your required 5 year background checks to keep reciprocity, and lower fees are due to the fact that they had surplus (charged too much) funding. 

Because I was hoping that we could get tics exemptions for HCP holders in the next few sessions.  That can't happen if we move to 8 year renewals.  

8 years is also an odd timeline.  

Edited by Capbyrd

Because I was hoping that we could get tics exemptions for HCP holders in the next few sessions.  That can't happen if we move to 8 year renewals.  

8 years is also an odd timeline.  

I think it would still qualify since they would still do the checks every 5 years. In reality they would do the check in 5 years, and then in 3 years, and then 5 years, etc.

8 years is what the driver's license's went to if I remember correctly. It brings it in line with that.

I think it would still qualify since they would still do the checks every 5 years. In reality they would do the check in 5 years, and then in 3 years, and then 5 years, etc.

8 years is what the driver's license's went to if I remember correctly. It brings it in line with that.

Nope.  

Notwithstanding the dates set forth below, permits qualify as alternatives to the background check requirements of the Brady law for no more than 5 years from the date of issuance. The permit must be valid under State law in order to qualify as a Brady alternative.

5 years from the date of issuance.  Not date of background check. 

Agreed, but for a completely selfish reason. I purchased a lifetime permit. So instead of breaking even at around age 62....when do I break even now? 100?

As I understand it, renewal price didn't change, still 12.50/year? They were already pro-rating it to meet the 5 year change to match the DL before they changed that to 8 years (idiots) so folks who were getting them for less or more than the original 4 years where paying less or more.

So if that's correct, your computation hasn't changed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot