Hornady 45 acp 3 die set VS Lee 3 Die set

I have a Lee 2 Die set right now in .45 ACP . The expander die is a "powder through" die which makes a hard "jerk" or bump when you extract the brass from it . This "jerk" is supposed to shake any residual powder left inside the die that may stick to the sides. This jerk or bump ends up shaking my whole press and it is just plain annoying. Plus I don't use the powder through feature of this Die anyways .  I am thinking of getting a Hornady 3 Die set and try it . My brother has that set and likes it . How has it been with you guys ? What do you guys think of Hornady's Dies versus the Lee ?

9 hours ago, Westwindmike said:

Sounds like your press is not bolted securely to a heavy enough bench. I use the Lee dies and don't get the bump. Maybe you just need to polish the expander just a little.

My press is very secure. It's bolted to a solid wood table. I am just too afraid of taking any material off of the dies or altering them. I am going to try the Hornady 3 die set and then decide which to keep.

Sounds like an expensive fix to a very slight problem. I'd polish the expander with some metal polish to slick it up and be done. I've also heard of using a bit of case lube on the expander, especially since you are not dropping powder through it. I hope you get it to work like you want it to.

• Like 1

I get that same bump when flaring-I think it happens more with newer brass that is thicker at the mouth.I also use Lee 4 die set with the factory crimp.All my dies are Lee and have had zero problems.Like Westwindmike says-possibly polishing the case mouth flare it might help

• Like 1

I have never used Hornady dies and have always been pleased with my Lee dies.  I get the "bump" sometimes as well and notice it occurs with certain types of brass, also. 

If the "bump" bothers you, then by all means try another brand.  Life is too short to be irritated over little things!  Sell the set you don't want and two people will be happy, you with new dies and someone else with new-to-them dies.

Let us know what you find with another set of dies, please.

>I have a Lee 2 Die set right now in .45 ACP . The expander die is a "powder through" die which makes a hard "jerk" or bump when you extract the brass from it . This "jerk" is supposed to shake any residual powder left inside the die that may stick to the sides.

Never heard this theory before. There are some poorly polished expanders and they need to go back to Lee. Then there are folks who clean the case so thoroughly they have removed the dry lube (soot) that helps to lubricate the case neck.

None of MY Lee PTEs jerk when coming out and the one that did was replaced by Lee.

>This jerk or bump ends up shaking my whole press and it is just plain annoying. Plus I don't use the powder through feature of this Die anyways . 

So, you are using the PTE simply an expander die? Are  you using a bench-mounted powder measure (just curious)?

>I am thinking of getting a Hornady 3 Die set and try it 

My favorite die sets are Lee and Hornady. Lee just gets the job done. With the Hornady, I end up with an expander die I never use. Both have a sizing die that goes down the case a bit further than RCBS or Dillon. The Hornady seating die has a sliding sleeve that helps align the bullet. You can have Lee make custom seating stems for specific bullets for about $15--great deal. I like to have the seating stem contact the bullet low on the ogive of just on the bullet shoulder (SWC bullets)—never touch the meplat.

Get the Hornady, you'll like it. If you are loading jacketed bullets, the Lee FCD is excellent (not that good for oversized cast lead bullets, though).

Edited by noylj