Sawed Off Shotgun

Guest justinbelcher13

Guest justinbelcher13

Anyone know the legalities of cutting off a shotgun? Im looking to take a dbl bbl down to 18". Also, any good gunsmiths to reccomend around knoxville?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the legalities of cutting off a shotgun? Im looking to take a dbl bbl down to 18". Also, any good gunsmiths to reccomend around knoxville?

Barrel is pretty straight forward, 18", however overall length can not be under 26" IIRC.

Are you people that bad at measuring? I understand the tinfoilparanoia and all, but I see no reason to add an entire inch "to be safe".

If you're worried - make a simple go/no-go gauge. if it fits between it - it's too short. if it doesn't - you're fine.

Are you people that bad at measuring? I understand the tinfoilparanoia and all, but I see no reason to add an entire inch "to be safe".

If you're worried - make a simple go/no-go gauge. if it fits between it - it's too short. if it doesn't - you're fine.

I followed the advice of an expert gunsmith . . . do what you want to do . . .

Guest justinbelcher13

An inch may be much, but you have to give it some gall because mossberg, remington, etc... dont make a barrel less than 18.5" There has to be something to playing it safe.

Guest Astra900

...Because you don't want to be arguing with some half educated Barney Fife in a routine traffic stop because he wants to measure the barrel "HIS WAY"

Besides what do you gain by going a half inch shorter?

...Because you don't want to be arguing with some half educated Barney Fife in a routine traffic stop because he wants to measure the barrel "HIS WAY"

Using your same logic - is half educated Barney Fife going to cuff and stuff you for 18.5" and just buy you a coke and a piece of pie for 19"?

Besides - what are you doing carrying around a shotgun in the car anyway?

Dang it, I have been forgetting to measure shotguns during traffic stops.

Guest Phantom6

Cut it down to 11.75" or 12". It don't matter as long as you fill out the appropriate paperwork and pay the tax PRIOR to cutting it and mounting it on your receiver.

Does anyone here have experience cutting there own barrels? I have a New England Firearms 12 gauge that I picked up for 60 bucks. I want to give it the axe. I picked up a collapsible buttstock for it (I know very mall ninja, it was twenty bucks) I'll take it a gun smith but it seems pretty straight forward. Anybody with real world experience out there? If I'm going to make a tacti-cool single barrel I want to do it on the cheap you know?

Guest Astra900
Dang it, I have been forgetting to measure shotguns during traffic stops.

Don't take that comment personal or anything. I went to school with several cops in my town. I know how they acted then, I know how they act now. Every cop is not a moron, but there are enough of them that are to give the good cops a hard way to go. I've had a cop jerk me around for an AR that had a barrel that was technically under 16", but the muzzle brake (that was PERMANENTLY attached) made it over 16 inches. That was NOT fun. It's always better to err on the side of caution.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Micromancer
Cut it down to 11.75" or 12". It don't matter as long as you fill out the appropriate paperwork and pay the tax PRIOR to cutting it and mounting it on your receiver.

If you must cut, this is correct.

For my mind having someone cut a barrel is money you could just spend on a shorter barrel in the first place allowing for the use of either one.

On the other hand, you could always just get a Serbu Super Shorty and save yourself the $200 stamp. Be certain to never install any kind of shoulder stock on it though, or you magically transform it from an AOW to an SBS and it can never be an AOW again.

Lots of good advice not answering the original posters' question.

I'd cut to 18 and 1/4, figuring you may take 1/8 off 'dressing' the cut barrels with a file and stone. As for measuring, take a dowel, mark it at your intended length, drop it in the muzzle. Xavier had a how-to on this a while back:

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/12/getting-185-inches.html

Guest Micromancer

I'd cut to 18 and 1/4, figuring you may take 1/8 off 'dressing' the cut barrels with a file and stone. As for measuring, take a dowel, mark it at your intended length, drop it in the muzzle. Xavier had a how-to on this a while back:

His original questions were:

I don't see NFA laws or gunsmith recommendations in your post either ...

Um. This looks like a pretty good smithing recommendation to me...

I don't see NFA laws or gunsmith recommendations in your post either ...

From the link I posted:

In measuring barrel length you do it from the closed breech to the muzzle, see 27 CFR sec. 179.11. "the length of the barrel having an integral chamber(s) on a shotgun or rifle shall be determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of the bolt, breech, or breech block when closed and when the shotgun or rifle is cocked."

To measure overall length do so along, "the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore." 27 CFR sec. 179.11.

http://www.ttb.gov/regulations/tdatf396.htm

Those are the jokes, folks. I'm here all week.

Guest Micromancer
From the link I posted:

Those are the jokes, folks. I'm here all week.

Fair enough, but I didn't click the link because it clearly was instructions on how to do it, but not as clearly the legality of it being provided as well.

My bad for calling you out on it but you you might have also added "has information about the laws you wanted too" to that post :/