AR 15 Optics Choice

Seeking input on optics choice for an AR 15

*Suitable for close range use.

*Accurate shot placement out to 250 yards.

*$300 to $400

Considering so far:

Leupold  Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm

Leupold VX-2 1-4x20mm

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24

Vortex PST 1-4 

retails for $499 so it's a little over your stated range unless you find it on sale. I have one, and I think it's worth every penny.

Or...

Vortex Crossfire II 1-4

$225 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Crossfire-1-4x24mm-Riflescope-CF2-31037/dp/B00HYRGODO

I've never tried this one, but I would like to try it for the price.

I'm a HUGE Vortex fan. I've been really impressed with their quality. I use a SPAC and the PST in 3gun. I've never had a problem even in the rain. My AR with the PST is sub MOA at 200yds with a QD AD-RECON mount.

I'll also add that the PST appears to be true 1x for close range, both eyes open shooting. The illuminated recticle is not "daylight bright" in full sun, but the etched recticle is still easily visible.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Vortex PST 1-4 

retails for $499 so it's a little over your stated range unless you find it on sale. I have one, and I think it's worth every penny.

Or...

Vortex Crossfire II 1-4

$225 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Crossfire-1-4x24mm-Riflescope-CF2-31037/dp/B00HYRGODO

I've never tried this one, but I would like to try it for the price.

I'm a HUGE Vortex fan. I've been really impressed with their quality. I use a SPAC and the PST in 3gun. I've never had a problem even in the rain. My AR with the PST is sub MOA at 200yds with a QD AD-RECON mount.

I'll also add that the PST appears to be true 1x for close range, both eyes open shooting. The illuminated recticle is not "daylight bright" in full sun, but the etched recticle is still easily visible.

I've also been impressed with every vortex optic I've used, though I have only used their red dots. I also like the recommendation for a 1-4. I have a 1-4 illuminated Bushnell AR scope ant it replaced my sparc due to it having more in it's wheelhouse than a red dot. If I were 3 gunning or anything, I might switch back to a RD, but for range fun I can zoom out and have a fast enough target acquisition, or I can zoom in and give the peepers a rest.

As I get older, (31. I know, older right :rolleyes: )  I place more value in magnification than I did when I was younger. I like being able to see my target clearly and that is getting harder every year it seems like.

Maybe I just need glasses :shrug: 

• Like 1

It really depends on what you place more value on, close range( inside 50yards) or medium ranges (250-300). I don't think you'll be great at both unless you run a red dot with a flip to side or quick detach magnifier which would likely be over your budget. 

A fixed power around 4x plus some offset irons might work as well.

I have tried a 1-4x scope and I wasn't satisfied at all. At short range, target acquisition was far slower than a red dot. For range use its fine but for anything else, it falls short IMO.

I tried an Elcan once and I think it's just amazing for short and medium ranges . But good Lord that thing is crazy expensive!

49 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

I tried an Elcan once and I think it's just amazing for short and medium ranges . But good Lord that thing is crazy expensive!

I had a friend tell me it's a lot heavier than is optimal for an optic that size on an AR as well.  Not sure if that's because it needed to be "rugged" or just the materials chosen.

1 minute ago, btq96r said:

I had a friend tell me it's a lot heavier than is optimal for an optic that size on an AR as well.  Not sure if that's because it needed to be "rugged" or just the materials chosen.

It is heavy, but not horrible. I think it's a combination of things, being rugged, which dictated the materials used (this is an older design sight, not when titanium and carbon fiber is now somewhat commonplace of lightweight AR builds) and it's a complex sight internally, at least the 1/4x and even moreso the 1/3/9x version.

It added weight but it wasn't horrible. It was mounted on a KAC SR15 so I'm sure that helped, it was a very light and well balanced rifle without the sight( ARMS mount, he removed it to show how the rifle handled).

I have wanted both an Elcan and SR15 ever since I shot and handled that setup, not so sure I would pair them up, the SR15 was so light and balanced and light recoiling that I think it should be run with either irons or an Aimpoint micro.

5 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

I'd put an Aimpoint PRO or ACO on it and call it good.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Aimpoint PRO is probably going on my next upper.  I'm hard pressed to find another optic that can check every box it does at the current prices.

I'll add another to your list. If you just have to have magnified optics on a HD gun.

burris mTac

http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-MTAC-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P50898.aspx

in your price range and a true 1x.

Personally,for home defense, nothing but a red dot will do, scope isn't quick enough and sucks in low light. Red dot allows both eyes open and greater field of view. My go to rifle has a aimpoint compM4. The aimpoint pro is great also, just upgraded for the longer battery life and use of AA batteries to match my weapon light.