.22LR = No Fun

Superman

"Big ass plastic Coke Bottle" work better for ya? They had that black plastic base you had to pry off? Remember them?...

Yes, I do.

My "does not compute" of course, was when *I* was a kid, not only were there no metric markings on containers, but the big bottles of Coke weren't plastic (yet) either!

My first beer needed a church key, too.

- Oh "we did have TV, though (sort of)" Shoot

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorite things to do is to shoot very small objects at long range...say 50+ yards and by small I mean small cartridge cases, toy soldiers, shotgun shells laid longways, etc. I have a Browning A bolt 22 with a Millet Silver 6x18, a CZ 452 22LR w/Weaver V16(favorite), CZ452 22Mag w/Tasco 3x12, Marlin 39A with a Williams Receiver Sight. A favorite with the Marlin is black walnuts, I have a black walnut tree right at the 50 yard mark behind the house and they are laying on the ground next to a creek. Great fun. Nothing more fun and cheaper than good 22's that hit where you are aiming. That is why I like higher powered scopes. One note here is you can get away with the cheaper scopes on 22's because of the low recoil.

from gcrookston

All I remember now is 30 cal is approximately 9 mm...

You might want to rethink that, my 30 cal is more like 7.62 mm and 9 mm a little closer .356 :tough::).

But I too remember pre plastic litre bottles, and when coke cans were STEEL and required a church key to open. :tough:

Edited by bvarnell
correct quote

I owe what little bit of marksmanship I have to early training with .22s.

We used to shoot walnuts out of the trees as practice for squirrel hunting. To steal a line from "Dodgeball" "If you can shoot a walnut, you can shoot a squirrel!" Scoped and iron sights, Dad made us good shots!

Wish I had had my current 10/22 back then!

Guest gcrookston
from gcrookston

All I remember now is 30 cal is approximately 9 mm...

You might want to rethink that, my 30 cal is more like 7.62 mm and 9 mm a little closer .356 :P:).

But I too remember pre plastic litre bottles, and when coke cans were STEEL and required a church key to open. ;)

This would explain why I failed 7th grade math ;)

If you are not enjoying the 22 you are doing something wrong. My first firearm was a single shot 22 that I must have shot a million rounds through. ;) But that was 60 years ago, different time and place. As mentioned, roll a can. Moving targets are great fun with a rifle.

Shoot safe

ray, the oldogy

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread. If you're having problems with a Rem 597, I recommend checking out the 597 forum @ rimfirecentral.com (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218). I bought a 597 with doing no prior research (yeah, I get it, not the wisest thing I could have done in this day and age), and after doing some post purchase research I got a little nervous. A lot of hate out there for the 597. Rimfire Central had a wealth of information on rimfires in general, but also has a owners group for the 597 that has helped identify and fix a lot of the issues with it.

At today's price of ammo the .22 rules.

Hre is my Buckmark:

th_051417490browning.jpg

My Malin Golden 39A

th_39A1.jpg th_39A.jpg

And my newest Malin 39A mountie - I have no pictures of my own - these are the seller's:

http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=915895638

Pete

All fine .22 shooters I would love to have a 39a but just don't have the funds to fork out for one, Nice collection!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldfella
I don't quite know what it is, but this .22 rifle just isn't any fun. Though, I'm having a blast with my Sig P6. I don't know if it's the fact that I can't see where the bullets hit because I don't have a scope, or if it's the round that makes me not like it, or maybe I don't like rifles. I've only shot .22 rifles and this one is the only one I've ever owned. I don't have a scope and the binoculars I have aren't strong enough to see the holes in the target. I guess I need to get with someone that has rifles and see if I can shoot a couple different ones.:bored:

Hey Superman - I have a used scope you can have - don't know if it's any good - it's a "BSA Sweet 17" - You'll need a set of rings, maybe Mike's pawn shop on the square (Manchester) can fix you up... and when it gets a bit warm we can meet at Tommy Lee's shotting range off Cat Creek Road. I'm in Tullahoma. Email me or PM me.

Pete (The Oldfella)