Buffer Weight for a 45 ACP AR style rifle

WarPig

So I recently built an AR-9 and bought a dedicated AR-9 buffer for it since apparently it needs to be heavier to avoid wear and tear compared to a standard AR-15 buffer.

Long story short, my dad saw my 9mm and wanted a 45 version. So I just ordered everything he will need but I'm not sure which buffer weight to use. It's a Quarter Circle 10 dedicated Glock style lower and upper combo. Would a 9mm buffer work or is there a specialized weighted tube I should use? 

There are really no specific weights tied to the calibers. 

In general, 9mm standard weight is 5.5oz but are made up to 7.5oz(I run a 7.5oz in my supressed 9mmAR). I believe the 45 runs around 8.5oz. A lot has to do with carrier weight as they work in conjunction. Not all buffers are created equally, I'd suggest checking out heavybuffers.com or contacting Rudy @ Macon Armory(he build lots of 45 blowback guns). 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Jct1911 said:

There are really no specific weights tied to the calibers. 

In general, 9mm standard weight is 5.5oz but are made up to 7.5oz(I run a 7.5oz in my supressed 9mmAR). I believe the 45 runs around 8.5oz. A lot has to do with carrier weight as they work in conjunction. Not all buffers are created equally, I'd suggest checking out heavybuffers.com or contacting Rudy @ Macon Armory(he build lots of 45 blowback guns). 

WHOA, $150 for a buffer? The boys at heavy buffers are proud of there stuff!!

17 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Well, 8.5 oz is gonna require more than 3 tungsten slugs, so it may actually require something special. Happy blowback :)

Yeah, their website said I was going to need probably a 10 oz, that's why it was so expensive. The gun is being built to pretty much run a can on it all the time. 

• 2 weeks later...