Carry in LBL

This past Sunday I was in LBL and asked a park ranger if the new law on carry in nation parks and wildlife refuges was going to include LBL. He told me they are waiting to find out what LBL is going to do about this and also how they are under different agencies, LBL is forest service instead of Dept of interior.

He also told me that LBL is using officer discretion on people with carry permits even though it is against policy. Without coming out and saying it he told me it was alright to carry with a permit and that if he was where I was with his family he would not want to be unarmed. He said "I cant come out and tell you its OK to carry. He said the officers in LBL felt that citizens with carry permits were the least of their worries and knew they would not be drinking, transporting drugs, or shooting up the park.

You will have to make your own decision on this but I will not think twice about what to do anymore.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

Well until I see it in writing, I won,t be packin in the LBL. Going before a federal judge for a damn speeding ticket a few years ago was enough fun for me.

I always assumed you could carry in national forests as long as state law allowed it. The KY side is legal for carry....i'm assuming TN is iffy b/c of the carrying in public hunting areas, unless during hunting season.

I am all for carry in the National Forest, I live on the line with the Cherokee National forest here in Cocke County and love to ride the roads and logging trails but would feel better doing so with my pal on my side as would my Dad. He had some fun with some scrubby looking rascals some time back, as he was coming off the mountain a car pulled out in front of him and then another got behind him. When they got to a narrow spot the car in front stopped and the driver got out, the other pulled up on his butt and got out, little did they know he was in a mountain goat of his own design so he just blasted right up the embankment and around the lead vehicle and was on his merry way. A more earthly vehicle would have been stuck and in a bad situation, you know at least one of those num-nuts was packin, so why can those of us that do it legaly not carry there as well. You cant tell me the Game Wardens and Forestry Police couldnt tell the difference between someone wanting to protect him self and someone up to no good.

I sent a e-mail to the US Forestry Service via their website asking what their policy was. I mentioned the rule change for National Parks and Wildlife Areas, I'll post any response I get.

Also according to their website the suggest you contact the specific area about their rules and regulations.

http://www.lbl.org/RULESGeneral.html

Number 5 for LBL says firearms and other weapons are prohibited except for hunting during set hunt dates.

If all else fails, get a 22 pistol with a legal length barrel (i believe 4 inches) and carry it while walking. It is also important to get a hunting license and say you are using it for squirrels up until Feb 28th and coyotes, beavers, and whatever else is year round after that. I saved a lot of headache by getting a good 22 pistol for carrying on public land and have a hunting license. Make sure the area you are carrying is open to hunting and that your weapon is legal...such as Shelby Forest you can only use shotguns for small game..but most areas let you use rimfires and shotguns for small game...take your pick.

If all else fails, get a 22 pistol with a legal length barrel (i believe 4 inches) and carry it while walking. It is also important to get a hunting license and say you are using it for squirrels up until Feb 28th and coyotes, beavers, and whatever else is year round after that. I saved a lot of headache by getting a good 22 pistol for carrying on public land and have a hunting license. Make sure the area you are carrying is open to hunting and that your weapon is legal...such as Shelby Forest you can only use shotguns for small game..but most areas let you use rimfires and shotguns for small game...take your pick.

In regards to Shelby Forrest, if you use the same .22 with shotshells.......

Guest sharpshooter01

Here is the reply I got from an email I sent to LBL. I also sent an email to the Cherokee NF office to get there answer to whether or not handgun carry permit holders can carry there, but I haven't received a reply from them yet.

Jason, I was forwarded your email and I serve as the Patrol Captain in the Law Enforcement & Investigations section at LBL NRA. This office has not received any information to change the no firearms regulation but that could change as this was a recent decision. I am assuming that in your message below that you are referring to persons who have a concealed carry permit and would comment that the officers assigned to LBL honor those permits and recognize that persons should be able to protect themselves. Duane

Here is the reply I got from an email I sent to LBL. I also sent an email to the Cherokee NF office to get there answer to whether or not handgun carry permit holders can carry there, but I haven't received a reply from them yet.

Jason, I was forwarded your email and I serve as the Patrol Captain in the Law Enforcement & Investigations section at LBL NRA. This office has not received any information to change the no firearms regulation but that could change as this was a recent decision. I am assuming that in your message below that you are referring to persons who have a concealed carry permit and would comment that the officers assigned to LBL honor those permits and recognize that persons should be able to protect themselves. Duane

Wow, that is pretty cool.

That is very nice to know.

Guest sermon8r
I always assumed you could carry in national forests as long as state law allowed it. The KY side is legal for carry....i'm assuming TN is iffy b/c of the carrying in public hunting areas, unless during hunting season.

When you enter LBL on 68/80 from Cadiz a big sign greets ya with NO FIREARMS ALLOWED (except in authorised areas) meaning the shooting area

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest jcramin

I just emailed LBL and asked the question about handgun carry and here is the official answer:

The Department of Interior recently changed their concealed carry law.

This change does not apply to the Forest Service, as we are Department of

Agriculture. The following CFR remains in effect at Land Between The

Lakes National Recreation Area.

Code of Federal Regulations concerning firearms on LBL.

(CFR 261.53E)

Possession of firearms is prohibited except during legal firearms hunting

seasons and going to and from the LBL Target Range. Firearms must be

unloaded when transporting.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

I just emailed LBL and asked the question about handgun carry and here is the official answer:

(CFR 261.53E)

Seems like he is using a part of the code as a catch all.

36CFR261.53 simply allows for special closures. Part (e) says they can issue one for "public safety". So it seems the head of LBL is just using this because he doesn't want firearms in LBL and deems it because of public safety. Sort of like the "local loophole" for US Forest Rangers

36CFR261.50 is what allows he to make special orders within his jurisdiction.

Otherwise the only things that can be prohibited by order are in 36CFR261.58

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jcramin

(CFR 261.53E)

Well I just received and email from patrol captain for the Law Enforcement & Investigation division at LBL and here is the answer from the top.

lthough the regulation prohibits the concealed carry our law enforcement

officers located here at LBL honor the concealed weapons permits and

certainly understand the need for a person to protect himself and/or his

family. If you are honoring a concealed weapons permit then there will be

no concern for our officers to address.