Firearm selling procedure recommendations

rob261

18 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

FFL can sell long guns to 18+, Handguns to 21+

Private sale can be either long gun or handgun at 18+. The law is not ambiguous in this matter.

16 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

An FFL can sell a long gun to an 18 year old. As per both federal and TN law you may sell a long gun or handgun or other firearm to an 18 year old.

Your hand wringing is silly. What would you be charged with by exactly following the law?

- OS

You are both exactly 100% correct.  Happy?!   Sorry .....I was thinking of handguns.  Damn you all are picky.  Sorry to play in your sandbox. I think obtaining a bill of sale is over the top.  Just having a little devil's advocate thought that with the way the liberal press is, remember them, that if one sold a handgun to an 18 yo  and 'something' happened, although legal to do so......There might be hell to pay.  But obviously no where near the problem one can get into by possibly not putting a full complete LEGAL explanation on one of your threads/posts.

Edited by chances R
9 hours ago, chances R said:

You are both exactly 100% correct.  Happy?!   Sorry .....I was thinking of handguns.  Damn you all are picky.  Sorry to play in your sandbox. I think obtaining a bill of sale is over the top.  Just having a little devil's advocate thought that with the way the liberal press is, remember them, that if one sold a handgun to an 18 yo  and 'something' happened, although legal to do so......There might be hell to pay.  But obviously no where near the problem one can get into by possibly not putting a full complete LEGAL explanation on one of your threads/posts.

so, finger printing may be a bit over the top then too!?  :)  j/k. 

Thanks guys for the help.  i appreciate it.

I'm simply saying the law makes no distinction on age above 18 for private sales. I've never bought or sold with anyone so young before, but I would consider a BOS in that case. It's a little bit of a CYA, but it's certainly not required. I really like to see an HCP during a sale, so that excludes <21. Legally though, there's no difference if I lawfully sell to an 18yo or to an 80yo if either one goes out on a shooting rampage with a firearm that can be traced to me. In either case, the press and the cops will both beat a path to my door.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-customer-have-be-certain-age-buy-firearms-or-ammunition-licensee

Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee?

Yes. Under the Gun Control Act (GCA), shotguns and rifles, and ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 18 years of age or older. All firearms other than shotguns and rifles, and all ammunition other than ammunition for shotguns or rifles may be sold only to individuals 21 years of age or older. Licensees are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA regardless of State or local law. However, if State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age for the purchase or disposition of firearms, the licensee must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1) and (b)(2); 27 CFR 478.99(b)]