Beretta 92 question

Guest Revelator

Guest Revelator

I just purchased a Beretta 92FS. This will be the second handgun I've owned. The first, which I've been carrying daily the last year and a half, is a SW M&P Compact. As the M&P is the only pistol I've ever carried, and I'm very used to it, switching to the Beretta is going to be a bit of a change. But change is good.

So the Beretta cannot be carried cocked and locked, right? If it's cocked, it can only be decocked or fired. Would it be ok to carry it cocked and have single action for that first round? Or should I leave the hammer down and just resign myself to double action on the first round?

I guess I've been spoiled by the M&P. That double action trigger on the Beretta is mighty strong. And I've only dry fired it so far; no live firing yet.

I think I'm going to like this gun. I like the way it feels. When I put it down and pick up my M&P Compact, the Compact feels like a child's toy.

But let me know what you think about the SA/DA issue.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

To me personally, it would depend on the internal safeties of the gun. If I carry a gun that has a hammer but no external safety, and I feel comfortable with the internal safeties of the gun, I'll load the gun, de-cock the hammer, holster it, then re-cock the hammer once it's holstered. If not, then you just gotta train and get used to that first DA trigger pull.

Personally, I'd carry it like I'd carry one of my Sigs. One in the pipe, hammer down. That's just what I'm used to though.

Hope you enjoy the Beretta, I've had one on my list for a while. The 92FS is a real tack driver.

Edited by poak
Bad wording
Guest bkelm18
Personally, I'd carry it like I'd carry one of my Sigs. Cocked, hammer down. That's just what I'm used to though.

Hope you enjoy the Beretta, I've had one on my list for a while. The 92FS is a real tack driver.

Thats the way I've carried Sigs and will carry my 228 once I run it through its trials. Cocked and ready to rock. Due to the internal safeties of Sigs, the firing pin absolutely cannot move unless the trigger is fully pulled.

I hate to say this is a little crazy to me. There is no way I am going to carry a 92 cocked because there is no "locked". Once the hammer is cocked the trigger is set with little to no take up and probably 4-5lb trigger pull. It is not designed to be carried that way nor should it be. Some will scream Glock, but a Glock it is designed to be carried loaded and ready, it does have a trigger blocking safety which does have a bit of take up and is intentionally stiff, where the Beretta trigger is fairly easy to pull. Carrying the 92 cocked would be like carrying a revolver cocked which nobody I know would do. I highly recommend against it.

Guest Revelator

Duly noted. I wasn't wildly comfortable with the idea of doing it, just wanted to see people's thoughts on it. I'm sure the double action won't be too hard to get used to.

I have a 92fs and it was one of my first guns so carrying with one in the tube and the hammer down is natural to me (as I don't have a 1911).

With the gun unloaded obviously if you pull the hammer back and hold it back with your thumb and apply the safety/decocker you will notice the pin that transfers the force from the hammer to the firing pin rotates from horizontal to vertical. This prevents the gun from firing if dropped etc.

Guest Revelator
Wow, your revolver turned into semi-auto. Magic!

And your username changed to your real name. You are just amazing!

- OS

It's part of an overall image makeover. And yeah, I was totally set on getting a .357 revolver as I posted in another thread. But I handled some and just didn't feel the vibe. Then I saw the Beretta, it was a good price, so I got that. A lot of it had to do with my wife, who was with me. She's not even into guns but she likes to tag along with me to shop. Being female, her main concerns in life are physical and financial security. She liked the fact that the Beretta had almost three times as much bullet capacity as the revolvers, and that it was a good price and would keep its value. This is how women think. I'm not ashamed to say they're generally smarter than men in this regard.

Guest strelcevina

yes you can make your Beretta to be carried cocked and locked,

all you need is to order a spacer and replace a hammer release lever on the frame

when you take a slide off, you can see on the frame in front of hammer is little peace sticking out , that is hammer release lever.

Guest canynracer

nice buy!!!

carry chambered, hammer down...first pull DA..

the draw should be the same as your M&P...draw, pull trigger...you wont remember the first pull if SHTF anyway :)

Guest EasilyObsessed

Pick up a "D Spring". It will make that trigger feel significantly better and it will be perfectly safe. It is the spring from the DAO version of the 92. Should lighten it up by about 4lbs.

http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.htm

Guest Todd@CIS
But let me know what you think about the SA/DA issue.

Can't stand it, never did.

I don't like two different trigger pulls on a semi-auto. That why I dig Glocks, 1911s, HiPowers, etc.

I own 2 Berettas...both DAO models.

You could get a Beretta Steel 1 and carry it cocked and locked (I used to have one). :)

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=2&ids=28

Edited by Todd@CIS

this might sound strange, but i've had 4 different beretta 92 varients in the past... 2 beretta's (FS, brigadier), and 2 taurus' (92afs, 4" 917)... don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but while the beretta is worth a lot more and might be finished better, the taurus one's are pretty much the same thing w/ one major differance (besides price), the taurus models have the safety/decocker mounted on the frame instead of way up on the slide, which many (including me) feel is actually a better design as it's built more robust, easier to reach without changing your grip, AND can be carried "cocked and locked" (the taurus safety is 3-way, up safe, down fire, all the way down decock, springs back to fire...).

so if you're a fan of that design, and don't care about name, get a taurus and carry cocked and locked if you so choose (just remember there's no grip safety if the safety accidentally gets sweeped off), the 917 model is pretty good for carry as it's the same gun w/ a shorter barrel, certainly won't be confused w/ a compact though, it's still huge for a 9mm... if it jams or you run out, you can just smash their head in w/ it....

taurus has been making 92's forever (on beretta equipment no less)... their quality is actually pretty good these days...

Edited by CK1

I think if you were to go to the range and get used to the DA then SA pull you will be fine. Like others said won't carry cocked if it can't be locked. My question is: does your Beretta significantly outweigh your M&P? seems like no fun to carry

Guest tnmale46
this might sound strange, but i've had 4 different beretta 92 varients in the past... 2 beretta's (FS, brigadier), and 2 taurus' (92afs, 4" 917)... don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but while the beretta is worth a lot more and might be finished better, the taurus one's are pretty much the same thing w/ one major differance (besides price), the taurus models have the safety/decocker mounted on the frame instead of way up on the slide, which many (including me) feel is actually a better design as it's built more robust, easier to reach without changing your grip, AND can be carried "cocked and locked" (the taurus safety is 3-way, up safe, down fire, all the way down decock, springs back to fire...).

so if you're a fan of that design, and don't care about name, get a taurus and carry cocked and locked if you so choose (just remember there's no grip safety if the safety accidentally gets sweeped off), the 917 model is pretty good for carry as it's the same gun w/ a shorter barrel, certainly won't be confused w/ a compact though, it's still huge for a 9mm... if it jams or you run out, you can just smash their head in w/ it....

taurus has been making 92's forever (on beretta equipment no less)... their quality is actually pretty good these days...

i have a taurus 92 af its been a great gun little large for everyday carry tho
Guest Revelator
I think if you were to go to the range and get used to the DA then SA pull you will be fine. Like others said won't carry cocked if it can't be locked. My question is: does your Beretta significantly outweigh your M&P? seems like no fun to carry

I carried it today for the first time and it is fine. It is certainly bigger and heavier than the other but I didn't feel any noticeable difference. I had in on while driving, while sitting at the desk for several hours, walking around, and it was just fine. I can definitely tell it's there but it is not uncomfortable.

I shot it Sunday and that double action is really different but I'll get used to it. Firing it on double action just takes pulling the trigger with more authority. Don't be subtle with it, I kept telling myself. It's just a mechanical adjustment. The more you do it the easier it gets.