Rescuing a Eibar M1924 from papper weight status

A friend of mine gave me this revolver since it looked like it was too far gone to consider any kind of repair cost. The hammer & trigger spring was shot along with all the other springs. Cylinder timing was toast. After looking it over, I found it had a bore that was incredibly nice and the cylinders chambered up the 32-20 rounds nicely as that was one of the calibers these were popular in. Well between those 2 things, I thought I'd have at it. The internals were more Colt than S&W but the V spring looked like a 12 year old make it from scratch. The lock work had no provision to rebound the firing pin back into the safe position with the trigger let off. So, since I had a pair of new S&W M+P hammer & trigger in the drawer, I decided to do a S&W lock work transplant. The frame needed to be drilled for a trigger rebound slide spring post that would get welded in and the frame needed to have a notch cut for a S&W hammer spring along with a D&T for a strain screw. The rest was tweeking the frame and cylinder star after replacing all the springs. Here is the challenge S&W parts

P1070573_zpsp5hbb53i.jpg

The original lock work

P1070574_zpsgyjjw5dt.jpg

Here the S&W parts are in place

001_zpsvs0ew2ap.jpg

All the screws were so badly buggared up I ground out the driver slots, mig welded them up and recut a new screw driver slot in all the frame screw heads

003_zpseypbzg4q.jpg

Now the BIG disappointment. After getting the action to work exactly like a basic S&W M10, I found the 32-20 were all key holeing the target! I guess that's what happens when you shoot a 312 bullet in a 329 bore! The gun is actually a 8mm Lebel M94 cartridge. You can see the fire formed casings in this shot

020_zpsp94gu9xy.jpg

021_zpsektvkudk.jpg

After all this work, My friend wants to buy it back......... Off it goes! What are friends for?

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 7